inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Village People

Written By: mandamoo on 05/07/04 at 11:39 pm

'Go West' is my pick these days.  Must be getting old ! ::) ;D

Subject: Re: Village People

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/04 at 11:54 pm

Haven't most of them died....I'm sorry but i really never liked  them :-\\

Written By: Hairspray on 05/07/04 at 11:55 pm

Y.M.C.A

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/08/04 at 12:35 am

In The Navy (you can sail the seven seas)

In The Navy (you can catch a bad disease...)  :o :-\\

Written By: zcrito on 05/08/04 at 1:04 am

Out of the number of times I've had to endure their "songs" the only thing I like about them is how they sing 3 words:
"...in the Navy...". That's it!  :o
Out of all their c**p ( :P ), just 3 words!

There's good '70s disco and then there's...

:D
;D

Written By: mandamoo on 05/08/04 at 2:40 am

I reckon the Village People would be turning in their graves, with those lyrics, Fussy ! :o

Written By: AL-B on 05/08/04 at 2:50 am

Other...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!

Written By: Koop on 05/08/04 at 8:34 am

I picked "Macho Man"...it's such a fun song. 

Actually, the Village People was my first concert. (along with Andy Gibb and a few others)  It was a 1979 Toys for Tots thing and I had so much fun.  (of course, I was only 11 at the time.  :))

Written By: Lanie on 05/08/04 at 3:55 pm

"Y.M.C.A."

Written By: mandamoo on 05/08/04 at 9:44 pm

I picked "Macho Man"...it's such a fun song. 

Actually, the Village People was my first concert. (along with Andy Gibb and a few others)  It was a 1979 Toys for Tots thing and I had so much fun.  (of course, I was only 11 at the time.  :))

I would've loved to have seen Andy Gibb  8)

Written By: jaytee on 05/09/04 at 6:10 am

In The Navy

Written By: Bobby on 05/09/04 at 1:57 pm

'Macho Macho Man
I wanna be a Macho Man . . .'

Anyone seen the video? It was on VH-1 a week ago and I bust a gut laughing.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/09/04 at 2:16 pm

That song was my pick, too.  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 05/10/04 at 5:14 am

'Macho Macho Man
I wanna be a Macho Man . . .'

Anyone seen the video? It was on VH-1 a week ago and I bust a gut laughing.

It's been years since I've seen that clip, Bobby.....I can't for the life of me even conjure up an image !  Old age does that ! ::) ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/11/04 at 10:51 am

Y.M.C.A. Like most of their songs, it was stupid but fun. (They played it at our wedding and we all had fun dancing to it)

Cat

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/11/04 at 2:07 pm

All their songs were fun, but I picked Go West.

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/04 at 3:24 am

It's been years since I've seen that clip, Bobby.....I can't for the life of me even conjure up an image !  Old age does that ! ::) ;)

I will try and paint the scene, Mandamoo.  :)

All the Village People are in a gym set-up doing a punch-out dance routine. The lead singer is wearing gym shorts and a blue vest and intercut is a picture of this man training. What is bizarre about this video is the producer thought it stylish to reduce the amount of time we see the trainers face so we get clips of his arms stretching exposing his pit hair and an extended view of his crotch at one point.

My girlfriend had to go to the toilet she was laughing so hard after that.  ;D

Written By: SuperFreak on 05/13/04 at 10:41 am

I like Go West

Written By: DJ Disco Balls on 05/13/04 at 4:43 pm

The first was the best...San Francisco/Hollywood

Written By: mandamoo on 05/14/04 at 5:03 am

I will try and paint the scene, Mandamoo.  :)

All the Village People are in a gym set-up doing a punch-out dance routine. The lead singer is wearing gym shorts and a blue vest and intercut is a picture of this man training. What is bizarre about this video is the producer thought it stylish to reduce the amount of time we see the trainers face so we get clips of his arms stretching exposing his pit hair and an extended view of his crotch at one point.

My girlfriend had to go to the toilet she was laughing so hard after that.  ;D

Yes !  I remember now !  Quite risque for the time too. :o

Thanks for jogging my memory Bobby and for giving me a giggle ;D

Written By: mandamoo on 05/14/04 at 5:07 am

The first was the best...San Francisco/Hollywood

Good choice too, DJ Disco Balls  ;) :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/14/04 at 6:33 am

Haven't most of them died....I'm sorry but i really never liked  them :-\\

No, the only one who has died was Glenn Hughes the awesome talent who played "leather man".  He died in 2001 from lung cancer.

I always wanted to have a thich 'stache like that guy but could never pull it off.  ;)

The current lineup includes the original Indian, Soldier, and Construction Worker.  The Cop and the Cowboy are the same guys who played these roles way back in 1980.  They do have a new Biker to fill in for Hughes.

Now the original PRODUCER of the group, Jacques Morali, (aka the "Jack Morell" character in their movie "Don't Stop the Music), died in 1991 from the dreaded A.I.D.S. virus.

Written By: Revolution Baby on 05/14/04 at 9:39 am

I heard recently that contrary to popular belief, only one of the original members of VP is/was  ;) 'heterosexuallly-challenged.' Any guesses?
I was lucky to meet all of the guys at a record company function back in '88 and even though I was never a big fan, one of my fave trinkets is a fully signed 'Livin' In The Wildlife' 12" single I got on the night.

Written By: StarskyHutch76 on 05/14/04 at 10:20 am

What else, Macho Man 8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/14/04 at 10:32 am

No, the only one who has died was Glenn Hughes the awesome talent who played "leather man".  He died in 2001 from lung cancer.

I always wanted to have a thich 'stache like that guy but could never pull it off.  ;)

The current lineup includes the original Indian, Soldier, and Construction Worker.  The Cop and the Cowboy are the same guys who played these roles way back in 1980.  They do have a new Biker to fill in for Hughes.

Now the original PRODUCER of the group, Jacques Morali, (aka the "Jack Morell" character in their movie "Don't Stop the Music), died in 1991 from the dreaded A.I.D.S. virus.
I really have nothing against any of them...I just never was into thier music.  That is indeed a sad pair of events, LyricBoy :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/14/04 at 10:34 am

Oh yeah btw, I thought it waas relly cool how they paid homage to them in the movie "Waynes World 2"  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/14/04 at 5:06 pm

Yes !  I remember now !  Quite risque for the time too. :o

Thanks for jogging my memory Bobby and for giving me a giggle ;D

:D  ;)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/24/04 at 5:11 pm

In the Navy

Written By: Jennifer028 on 09/01/04 at 11:25 pm

In the Navy  :)

Written By: hornet on 09/02/04 at 4:15 am

gee's i thought one of em' died in the early 90's from aid's or somefingk' ?  :-\\

anyway ,my fav' was ......can't stop the music  ( good for the tune/beat and also reminds me of the period that it came out in )

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/03/04 at 1:38 am

I love all their songs and am totally bummed that I cant afford to go see them this month.  They are touring Aus with a big 70's concert that includes KC & Sunshine Band, Gloria Gaynor, Errol Brown from Hot Chocolate, and Boney M.

Written By: mandamoo on 09/03/04 at 6:20 am

I love all their songs and am totally bummed that I cant afford to go see them this month. They are touring Aus with a big 70's concert that includes KC & Sunshine Band, Gloria Gaynor, Errol Brown from Hot Chocolate, and Boney M.

I've been to a couple of those 70's revival concerts. Let me just say, stick with the records BMGirl :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/06/04 at 2:25 am

I've been to a couple of those 70's revival concerts. Let me just say, stick with the records BMGirl :)

Last one I went to was hmmmmm early to mid 90's - around the time Priscilla was released.  KC were the headline act and they were awesome.  Aussies were JPY and TMG, the scarey William Shakespeare, oh and Marty Rhone.  US acts were Rose Royce, Alicia Bridges, Gloria Gaynor, hmm and a bunch of others I have long forgotten.

We had a fantastic night - kicked all the chairs aside and danced our little booties off.

I think because each act were there to have a good time - they werent taking themselves too seriously - they werent there to remind us they use to be big etc.

Same friend who went to this gig with me - went to the Long Way To The Top gig without me.  She said the entire atmosphere was so different.  At the gig we both went to - all the acts were still performing weekly in local places. But for LWTTT Gig so many of them had been pulled out of retirement, rehab and total obscurity - several hadnt actually held a guitar in 30 years and couldnt remember the lyrics to their only hit song.  She said the whole evening was embarrassing and uncomfortable.

I think it depends on the act - if you are there to sing and have a great time, the audience will have a ball and forget that you are a little less sexy than in 1976, and a little pudgier etc.

Back to Village People - I ran into Felipë the Indian a couple of years ago at a Mardi Gras party and boy oh boy - he looks fab - still has a very firm fit bod.  And is a seriously funny guy.  I was drunk enough to tell him how much I adored the Construction Worker !!!

Written By: Bobby on 09/06/04 at 7:12 pm

Billy Connelly did a send-up of 'In the Navy' called 'In the Brownies'. Absolutely brilliant!

"In the brownies
Where everybody goes to camp" LOL!  ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/07/04 at 3:15 am

Billy Connelly did a send-up of 'In the Navy' called 'In the Brownies'. Absolutely brilliant!

"In the brownies
Where everybody goes to camp" LOL!  ;D

bwhahahha I have that on tape somewhere.  Love the little brownie uniform, the pigtails, and of course the beard - which really set the whole look off !!!!

Written By: Bobby on 09/07/04 at 4:40 am

bwhahahha I have that on tape somewhere.  Love the little brownie uniform, the pigtails, and of course the beard - which really set the whole look off !!!!

I saw the video to the song on VH-1 a few months back. Very funny.  ;D

Written By: ... (Ellipsis) on 09/16/04 at 12:44 pm

I thought they only had three hit songs, "In The Navy", "Macho Man" and "YMCA." (I'm sure they had other songs on their various albums, but none of those were hits.) Anyway, those are the only ones I'm familiar with.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/26/05 at 1:06 pm

Y-M-C-A

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/07 at 3:42 am

I may have been influenced by the Pet Shop Boys, but 'Go West' is my favourite! :)

1977 - San Francisco
1978 - Macho Man
1978 - YMCA
1979 - In the Navy
1979 - Go West
1979 - Sleazy
1979 - Ready For the 80s
1980 - Can't Stop the Music
1985 - Sex Over the Phone
1985 - New York City
1985 - Medley
1993 - YMCA <re-issue>
1994 - In the Navy <re-issue>
1999 - YMCA <re-issue>

Written By: nally on 08/04/07 at 3:24 pm

Since "Macho Man", "In The Navy" and "YMCA" were their biggest hits in the US, my vote will most likely be among these three. I cannot decide at the moment.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/07 at 4:09 am

All are catchy somgs, but I have no particular favourite

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/07 at 6:40 pm

can't stop the music or can't stop the music...(it was so good you had to list it twice huh?)  Hard choice... I picked can't stop the music but now I wish I had picked Milkshake because, honestly, I love that song. 

You forgot to list Liberation.

I went to screening of Can't Stop the Music in San Francisco. You haven't lived until you experience something like this. Not only was it the largest drag queen convention I had ever witnessed but also the audience was more into this movie than any Rocky Horror Fan. Fantastic!

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/18/07 at 12:00 pm

i love 70's disco, but i think this band was just terrible..........

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/07 at 12:52 am

I may have been influenced by the Pet Shop Boys, but 'Go West' is my favourite! :)

1977 - San Francisco
1978 - Macho Man
1978 - YMCA
1979 - In the Navy
1979 - Go West
1979 - Sleazy
1979 - Ready For the 80s
1980 - Can't Stop the Music
1985 - Sex Over the Phone
1985 - New York City
1985 - Medley
1993 - YMCA <re-issue>
1994 - In the Navy <re-issue>
1999 - YMCA <re-issue>

YMCA.

Why wasn't "Macho Man" on that poll?

"Macho Man" only made it to #25 on the U.S. charts.  Hmmmm....I seem to remember hearing it as much as "YMCA" and "In the Navy." 

They were on "American Bandstand" in the middle of the afternoon.  I can just imagine all those suburban moms and dads scratching their heads. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif
"There's something f-f-f-funny about these guys....are you sure the kids should be watching this?"

Nowadays (thanks in part to the VP) parents see something like that at a passing glance and say, "Oh yeah, those guys are gay," and go back to reading the paper.  In the '70s a lot of "Heartland" types weren't clued in.  Most of them didn't know the "Village" referred to "Greenwich Village" and even if you told them, they wouldn't get the signficance.

Nobody in the '70s would have called the '70s a time of innocence but, apparently, it was!

Written By: Lindee on 08/22/07 at 10:55 am

YMCA

Trivia: Phylicia Rashad (Clair Huxtable) was married to lead singer Victor Willis for 2 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/22/07 at 11:55 am

I happened to see the video for YMCA today and noticed that Village People do not do the arm signs for YMCA the individual letters. They just clap hands.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 08/22/07 at 7:08 pm

In The Navy

Just got tired of hearing Y.M.C.A all the time.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/25/07 at 4:56 am

I happened to see the video for YMCA today and noticed that Village People do not do the arm signs for YMCA the individual letters. They just clap hands.

Randy was actually on Where Are They Now - down here a few months back and he told the story about that.

They didnt actually start doing the letter signs until a live performance on a talk show where a cheerleading squad was in the audience. The girls started doing the letters so the guys followed - and it stuck.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/07 at 4:01 pm

Randy was actually on Where Are They Now - down here a few months back and he told the story about that.

They didnt actually start doing the letter signs until a live performance on a talk show where a cheerleading squad was in the audience. The girls started doing the letters so the guys followed - and it stuck.
Thanks for that info. + Karma

Written By: valorisa on 02/01/10 at 8:45 am

I heard recently that contrary to popular belief, only one of the original members of VP is/was  ;) 'heterosexuallly-challenged.' Any guesses?
I was lucky to meet all of the guys at a record company function back in '88 and even though I was never a big fan, one of my fave trinkets is a fully signed 'Livin' In The Wildlife' 12" single I got on the night.

Hello,

I own this title (the radio edit). If anyone wants get it, let me know.

More information here : http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280458114401

http://d-wizz.com/vinylmp3/Index%2019.pdf

http://www.discogs.com/Village-People-Livin-In-The-Wildlife/release/2072956

Now i'm searching for the extended remix and dub (very rare) versions.

Valorisa

Check for new replies or respond here...