inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst 70s Song By An Actor

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/18/04 at 7:43 pm

My choice, all of the above.

Subject: Re: Worst 70s Song By An Actor

Written By: woops on 05/18/04 at 9:06 pm

All of the Above!!!

Though some I've never heard of...and don't want to hear.  :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/18/04 at 10:02 pm

No WAY I could say All of the above....There were a few gems in there. "Rex Smith"- "David Soul"....so instead of going with the most obvious choice of Telly "Who Love Ya, Baby" Salvalas, I went With Travolta....ONLY because his voice cracks horribly near the end of that song!

Written By: Koop on 05/18/04 at 10:19 pm

I went with Stallone....not that I've heard the song, but somehow, the thought scares me.  :o

I have to admit, Rex Smith was a big crush of mine in the 70's. (which is why I couldn't go with all of the above)  And Shatner's "Lucy" was a classic!  ;) ;D

Written By: AL-B on 05/18/04 at 10:47 pm

Oh, I gotta go with L.S.D. by Captain Kirk. Then again, it's so freakin' hilarious that it's almost redeems itself with its comedic value. Was Kirk trying to be serious or was he being a goofball? That's the beauty of this song, you DON'T KNOW. ;)

Written By: Paul on 05/19/04 at 7:13 am

Oh, I gotta go with L.S.D. by Captain Kirk. Then again, it's so freakin' hilarious that it's almost redeems itself with its comedic value. Was Kirk trying to be serious or was he being a goofball? That's the beauty of this song, you DON'T KNOW. ;)

Oh yes...can't argue with that! Although I think his 'version' was recorded in 1968, the same year that Mr Harris strangled 'MacArthur Park'...

I'll throw one into the mix - it's probably only known to the British (which is no bad thing!)...a quite, er...'stunning' re-tread of 'You're The One That I Want' by veteran comic acting duo Hylda Baker & Arthur Mullard...it probably had John & Livvy quaking in their boots (with fear...!!)

There should be plenty of opportunities to download it, if you dare...!!

Written By: StarskyHutch76 on 05/19/04 at 8:19 am

I went with Stallone....not that I've heard the song, but somehow, the thought scares me.  :o

I have to admit, Rex Smith was a big crush of mine in the 70's. (which is why I couldn't go with all of the above)  And Shatner's "Lucy" was a classic!  ;) ;D
I voted for Stallone. I can't believe the David Soul song was included in there >:(

Written By: zcrito on 05/19/04 at 3:28 pm

I went with "all of the above", but wanted to say EXCEPT FOR MacArthur Park (1968, I believe).

The song is funky, true, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I turn the radio up and listen to it every time I do catch it on the radio, which is about once every 5-6 years.

It's sooooooooo, 1960s! 8)

(I was in Los Angeles a while back (and near downtown) and had to see MacArthur Park for myself, or as Richard Harris would say "MacArthur's Park")

;) ;D

Written By: SuperFreak on 05/19/04 at 5:33 pm

I didn't know Telly Savalas could sing :o

Written By: woops on 05/19/04 at 5:37 pm

There's one unmentioned stinker: Vicky Lawrence (Forgot song title, but I know it had something to do with Georgia)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/19/04 at 5:55 pm

There's one unmentioned stinker: Vicky Lawrence (Forgot song title, but I know it had something to do with Georgia)
That would be "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia", woops ;)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/19/04 at 8:16 pm

For you masochists out there, Stallone's song is from the "Paradise Alley" movie soundtrack. :-

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/19/04 at 8:19 pm

It was "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia, and I didn't feel Vicki acted in anything other than "The Carol Burnett Show" to warrant her being an actress. :-\\

Written By: mandamoo on 05/19/04 at 9:41 pm

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds-William Shatner ! :o

Written By: Lanie on 05/19/04 at 11:11 pm

All of the Above

Written By: zac on 05/19/04 at 11:36 pm

All of the above.

Written By: Bobby on 05/20/04 at 3:03 am

I'll throw one into the mix - it's probably only known to the British (which is no bad thing!)...a quite, er...'stunning' re-tread of 'You're The One That I Want' by veteran comic acting duo Hylda Baker & Arthur Mullard...it probably had John & Livvy quaking in their boots (with fear...!!)

There should be plenty of opportunities to download it, if you dare...!!

Heh heh. Yeah, I've heard that version .

Written By: jaytee on 05/20/04 at 6:40 am

They're all diabolical but the worst is ..... David Soul :P

Written By: Hairspray on 05/20/04 at 7:57 am

the worst is ..... David Soul :P

I like that one. :o

:)

Written By: Hairspray on 05/20/04 at 8:01 am

Geez, I must be weird because I like a few up there, man! :o ???

I'll even give a special mention to David Naughton's "Makin' It". :D It's a fun tune and brings back many "warm fuzzies" (memories).

Written By: Hairspray on 05/20/04 at 8:04 am

OK. Last post on this, I promise. ;D

I picked Richard Harris's "MacArthur Park" as the worst. :P

Written By: Richie on 06/29/04 at 6:47 pm

William Sh*tner did a cover of a Beatles tune?  That sounds like blaspheme.  I'll vote for that one as the worst, though I never head it--thankfully.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/04 at 5:47 am

Makin' It
:P

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/30/04 at 7:05 am

Let her in

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/30/04 at 5:04 pm

I was very close to voting for "All of the Above" but I had to vote for Bill Shatner. He really destroyed Lucy. To me this was the worse song EVER!!!!  But my question is, Shatner an actor?  ???

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/24/04 at 4:41 pm

All of the above

Written By: eddiescharmed1 on 07/29/04 at 12:16 am

I didnt know Stallone could sing.... :o Thats just got to be BAD :D Brenda 8)

Written By: ProgShred on 07/29/04 at 2:44 am

It was "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia, and I didn't feel Vicki acted in anything other than "The Carol Burnett Show" to warrant her being an actress. :-\\

Vicki Lawrence was the star of Mama's Family. She played a part based on a character she played in Carol Burnett skits.

http://www.tvtome.com/images/shows/0/5/39-3300.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 07/29/04 at 6:14 pm

Had to go with Shatner.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/30/04 at 5:07 pm

I didnt know Stallone could sing.... :o Thats just got to be BAD :D Brenda 8)
His brother Frank sang a song for the "Flashdance" soundtrack....I think ???

Written By: Koop on 07/31/04 at 10:28 am

Actually, it was that song "Far From Over" from the movie "Stayin Alive".  (it scares me that I know that.  ;))

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/31/04 at 9:07 pm

Actually, it was that song "Far From Over" from the movie "Stayin Alive".  (it scares me that I know that.  ;))
;D THAT also scares me, Koop! Hey, but it's bad enough I remember he has a brother who actually sang :-[ ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/06/04 at 4:30 pm

Maybe, but I still personally like that song and I didn't include it on my listing, so  :P.  ;)

Vicki Lawrence was the star of Mama's Family. She played a part based on a character she played in Carol Burnett skits.

http://www.tvtome.com/images/shows/0/5/39-3300.jpg

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/28/04 at 4:59 pm

"Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"?  By WILLIAM SHATNER?  Ha!  Ha ha! Ha hahaha!  Ah, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 11:06 am

Thanks, Mr. Vincent Price, for your review. ;D ;D
"Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"?  By WILLIAM SHATNER?  Ha!  Ha ha! Ha hahaha!  Ah, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 12:45 pm

Actually, "Staying Alive", a poorly done "Flashdance rip-off and a supposed sequel to "Saturday Night Fever". The only thing even remotely similar to the first film is Travolta playing the character of Tony. Sly directed this crap.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/29/04 at 12:47 pm

Well, one person voted it the worst, and it wasn't me. (Although AOTA means just that). But someone didn't like it.

I voted for Stallone. I can't believe the David Soul song was included in there >:(

Written By: bj26 on 09/29/04 at 1:48 pm

I liked David Soul's song and also MacArthur Park - they were beautiful songs :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/04 at 8:30 pm

Actually, "Staying Alive", a poorly done "Flashdance rip-off and a supposed sequel to "Saturday Night Fever". The only thing even remotely similar to the first film is Travolta playing the character of Tony. Sly directed this crap.

The best part of the movie (Staying Alive) was the last 15 minutes-the dancing was pretty good. Other than that, the rest of the movie sucked.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...