inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sci-fi movie fans, help me out...

Written By: lorac614 on 05/20/04 at 8:45 am

OK, I need some help...
I need to know if this is a real movie or just something I imagined.
I'm not sure when it would have been made but I would assume that it was in the 70's, but it could have been earlier.  Was there ever a movie about a radio broadcast about an invasion from Mars?  The people who were listening to the radio thought it was real and it caused a panic? 

I thought it was called "The War of the Worlds" but I just watched that movie last night so I know it's not that.

Help me before I go crazy..well, crazier than I am already! :o

Subject: Re: Sci-fi movie fans, help me out...

Written By: karen on 05/20/04 at 8:51 am

You may just be remembering reading about the original radio transmission of War of the Worlds.  It was done as a news report with real locations mentioned and many people listening did not realise it was a radio drama.  I think a big game had finished earlier or over ran or something so many people missed the start of the programme when they switched stations.

Written By: SteveH on 05/20/04 at 8:13 pm

Maybe you're thinking about the 1975 made-for-television movie "The Night That Panicked America"? 
  http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0073454

Written By: lorac614 on 05/22/04 at 10:06 am

Thank you.

I bet that was the movie.

Written By: SteveH on 05/23/04 at 12:16 pm

You're welcome  :) Good luck trying to find this one on tape or dvd, though. 

Check for new replies or respond here...