inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Solo Eagles

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/24/04 at 1:26 pm

I like Joe Walsh because he's so quirky...and his music is fun!  If you've ever seen these guys in concert you'll know what I mean.  8) 

Subject: Re: Solo Eagles

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/24/04 at 2:48 pm

I like Joe Walsh because he's so quirky...and his music is fun!  If you've ever seen these guys in concert you'll know what I mean.  8) 
GREAT Topic, Karen! I've always loved all Glenn Frey's stuff. I have his first two solo-efforts "No Fun Aloud"-1982 & "The Allnighter"-1984 and always enjoyed him on lead for the Eagles a bit more than Henley..."Lyin Eyes" "Tequilla Sunrise"....but Joe is Cool too ;)

Written By: Hairspray on 05/24/04 at 3:51 pm

Glenn Frey's my top pick.

Just wanted to mention that I do like Henley's & Walsh's solo efforts for the most part.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 05/24/04 at 4:57 pm

I like both Don Henley and Glenn Frey.

Written By: Tbullsr on 05/24/04 at 5:02 pm

I chose Don Henley who I just happen to be listening to as I write.

Tim
RATT-n-ROLL

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/24/04 at 6:05 pm

Together Henley & Frey are a fantastic songwriting team...but I never really liked Henley as much solo...maybe too political. Except I DO love "Dirty Laundry"...while Frey's solo were more about love and life experiences...feel good stuff..."Sexy Girl", "All Those Lies", "Party Town", and "The One You Love"...ect. :)

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/25/04 at 7:44 am

I couldn't decide between Henley and Frey, I like both their solo stuff.

Written By: lorac614 on 05/25/04 at 9:25 am

I have to go with Joe Walsh.  I did get to see them in concert, the "Hell Freezes Over Tour", it was great!  Joe is definitely the "Class Clown".

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/25/04 at 12:30 pm

I have to go with Joe Walsh.  I did get to see them in concert, the "Hell Freezes Over Tour", it was great!  Joe is definitely the "Class Clown".

That's the same tour I saw!  Cool!  ;)

Written By: gemini61 on 05/25/04 at 4:08 pm

I chose Don Henley. I love his song, Heart of the Matter. :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/04 at 9:46 pm

Gotta go with Don Henley on this one.  While Glen Frey is probably the better "singer", Henley's songwriting in terms of quality and quantity is huge.

What did Timothy B. Schmidt do as a solo, other than a guest spot on the TV Series "Throb?".  I never really bought him as a real Eagles member anyway.

Joe Walsh... great guitarist, but his vocals sound like a cat being shaved with a dull snow plow.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/26/04 at 2:51 am

Joe Walsh... great guitarist, but his vocals sound like a cat being shaved with a dull snow plow.

:o :\'( :o

Written By: mandamoo on 05/26/04 at 4:43 am

Joe Walsh, by a mile !

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/26/04 at 7:16 am

Joe Walsh  :) he's now hit the lead 5-4-4-0

Written By: lorac614 on 05/26/04 at 9:23 am

Gotta go with Don Henley on this one.  While Glen Frey is probably the better "singer", Henley's songwriting in terms of quality and quantity is huge.

What did Timothy B. Schmidt do as a solo, other than a guest spot on the TV Series "Throb?".  I never really bought him as a real Eagles member anyway.

Timothy B. Schmidt seemed to follow in Randy Meisner's footsteps...Meisner left a band called Poco in 1971 to join the Eagles and was replaced by Timothy B Schmit as the new bass player of Poco.  In 1977 Meisner left the Eagles and was replaced by Schmit.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/26/04 at 12:24 pm

Joe Walsh  :) he's now hit the lead 5-4-4-0

Thanks Fuss (and mandamoo)!  ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/28/04 at 8:27 pm

Timothy B. Schmidt seemed to follow in Randy Meisner's footsteps...Meisner left a band called Poco in 1971 to join the Eagles and was replaced by Timothy B Schmit as the new bass player of Poco.  In 1977 Meisner left the Eagles and was replaced by Schmit.

A point of Poco trivia...

Their cool logo was designed by none other than Phil Hartman who years later went on to fame and fortune in the Saturday Night Live comedy troupe.  8)

http://www.poconut.com/images/horse.gif

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/28/04 at 10:53 pm

A point of Poco trivia...

Their cool logo was designed by none other than Phil Hartman who years later went on to fame and fortune in the Saturday Night Live comedy troupe.  8)

http://www.poconut.com/images/horse.gif
That's so cool, LyricBoy! I'd no idea :)

Written By: Lanie on 05/29/04 at 2:47 pm

I like both Don Henley and Glenn Frey but I voted for Don.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/29/04 at 8:18 pm

That's so cool, LyricBoy! I'd no idea :)

Yeah, Phil Hartman was very talented.  As I recall, he did the album artwork for a few Crosby, Stills, and Nash albums too.

Written By: blackdog on 05/30/04 at 4:17 am

Yeah, Phil Hartman was very talented.  As I recall, he did the album artwork for a few Crosby, Stills, and Nash albums too.

Phil did artwork for so many bands, he also did artwork for America too.  Multi -talented guy at such a young age, his death was a real tragedy.   

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 05/30/04 at 6:40 am

Don Henley :)

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/22/04 at 1:35 am

Don Henley

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/22/04 at 11:55 am

I agree about Don Henley being a little bit better songwriter than Glenn Frey, but I like Glenn Frey's sound better.  Joe Walsh is pretty quirky but I never really cared for him that much.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/22/04 at 1:42 pm

Glenn Fry

Tanya

Written By: gord on 10/22/04 at 4:11 pm

Joe Walsh all the way here :)

Written By: nightrocker on 10/30/04 at 12:27 am

Don is by a long shot the best songwriter , Joe is a very good rocker!

Written By: Davester on 10/30/04 at 3:30 am

Don Henley, without a doubt.  Tim Schmidt a close second.  Glen Frey started to get a little crispy around the edges back during The Heat is On.  Joe Walsh is a decent listen in small doses but his voice begins to grate after awhile...

Written By: fragswife on 10/30/04 at 1:52 pm

Don Henley  :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/05 at 7:37 pm

Randy Meisner wasn't in the poll  :\'(

He was the first Eagle to go solo and and in the 80's, he had 3 amazing hits such as one of my favourite songs ever.. 'Never Been in Love' :)

Of the ones listed, I voted for Glenn Frey.  He re-popularized the saxophone in songs, which I just loved  8)

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/20/05 at 8:00 pm

8) Joe Walsh...I saw him in concert Sev years back and he came out on stage dressed as the Energizer bunny!............So funny

Written By: iluvthe80s on 09/22/05 at 7:26 am

I picked Glenn Frey because I thought it was cool the way he guest starred on Miami Vice in the 80's - Don Henley comes in a close second since he had some great solo songs too, like 'Dirty Laundry' and 'Boys of Summer'.  8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/22/05 at 2:47 pm

As an overall singer, Don Henley.

He had the better Eagles songs, IMO - not to mention some dang catchy 80's pop/rock solo hits. "Boys of Summer", "Dirty Laundry", "Not Enough Love in the World" and "End of the Innocence" among others are some alltime faves of mine.

However, Glenn Frey is a close runner-up. As someone else said, he was more of a fun guy and sung about life, as opposed to Henley's political/angry side. If their respective songs are anything like how they are in real life, I'd much rather hang around Frey than Henley - he'd be the cooler guy IMO.

Let's also not forget his Miami Vice role! 8)

Joe Walsh is who I call the "hard rock" Eagle. I love his biggest solo hit in the late 70's, "Life's Been Good" as well as "All Night Long" and a couple of his 80's hits, "The Confessor" and "Space Age Whiz Kids". He had a great sense of humor too.

Check for new replies or respond here...