inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Early New Wave Artists

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/16/04 at 7:41 am

New Wave is generally more associated with the 80's but a lot of the biggest acts of that genre first appeared in the late 70's - I would pick The Ramones (although they might be considered more punk) and I also like The Cars.

Subject: Re: Best Early New Wave Artists

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/16/04 at 1:59 pm

Other: Roxy Music

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/16/04 at 2:12 pm

This is a tough one, because really, I would say all of them, but I chose the Cars.

Written By: bj26 on 06/16/04 at 3:30 pm

I like Elvis Costello and about 50 others, eg. Missing Persons. The Romantics, Joe Jackson, et al....

Written By: woops on 06/16/04 at 7:01 pm

About everybody, but I picked Blondie.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/04 at 12:07 am

Other: Roxy Music

That's a good one!  Brian Eno got his start in Roxy Music.  He penned what I call a great New Wave song, King's Lead Hat.  That came out on Before and After Science, 1977.

On the poll, Elvis Costello beats Talking Heads by a nose.  Don't forget Ultravox, Ian Dury & The Blockheads, Devo, The B-52s. Split Enz, and The Boomtown Rats.  All of these artists released music before 1980.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/17/04 at 6:50 am

Blondie

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/17/04 at 9:20 am

Another vote for Roxy Music.

And since when are The Ramones "new wave"? ???  Back in the 70's they were pure punk rock at its finest 8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/04 at 9:25 am

Another vote for Roxy Music.

And since when are The Ramones "new wave"? ???  Back in the 70's they were pure punk rock at its finest 8)

Yeah, I don't think The Ramones qualify as New Wave.  Rhino did put "I Wanna Be Sedated" on the first New Wave Hits of the '80s CD.  Wasn't even from the '80s!

Gary Numan, how could I forget?  He was a pioneer of the New Wave synth sound.  The Pleasure Principle came out in '79, but he had a couple of Tubeway Army albums before that.

Written By: blackdog on 06/17/04 at 7:49 pm

That's a good one!  Brian Eno got his start in Roxy Music.  He penned what I call a great New Wave song, King's Lead Hat.  That came out on Before and After Science, 1977.

On the poll, Elvis Costello beats Talking Heads by a nose.  Don't forget Ultravox, Ian Dury & The Blockheads, Devo, The B-52s. Split Enz, and The Boomtown Rats.  All of these artists released music before 1980.

Great list... love Roxy music and B-52's.  What about Romeovoid?  Were they considered new wave?  They were in the 80's weren't they?
I'm kind of "challenged" here but I'm sure there's a lot more knowledgeable people who would know anything about 'em.   

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/04 at 10:59 pm

Great list... love Roxy music and B-52's.  What about Romeovoid?  Were they considered new wave?  They were in the 80's weren't they?
I'm kind of "challenged" here but I'm sure there's a lot more knowledgeable people who would know anything about 'em.   

Romeo Void was definitely New Wave.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/19/04 at 10:31 am

New Wave is generally more associated with the 80's but a lot of the biggest acts of that genre first appeared in the late 70's - I would pick The Ramones (although they might be considered more punk) and I also like The Cars.
Same here, eightiesfan ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/19/04 at 2:48 pm

Blondie....followed by The Cars.  8)

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/19/04 at 11:45 pm

I have to go with Roxy Music, followed by the Talking Heads & The Cars.

Written By: Lanie on 06/20/04 at 3:29 pm

Blondie

Written By: goldie on 06/20/04 at 7:34 pm

The Cars

Written By: bj26 on 06/25/04 at 7:01 am

Oingo Boingo - Why should I care was a good theme for the punk to new wave era.

Written By: mandamoo on 06/25/04 at 7:38 am

Blondie, followed by Talking Heads

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/25/04 at 8:08 am

Blondie

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/04 at 11:59 am

Tough one but I picked Blondie (and like so many other people) followed by The Talking Heads. I do like the Cars, the B-52s, and Elvis Costello.

Cat

Written By: blackdog on 06/25/04 at 10:34 pm

Romeo Void was definitely New Wave.

Why thank you Maxwell Smart.   I knew I could count on you!  I think I'll go pull out some Romeovoid right now.   :)    Unfortunately, I can't even find Romeovoid on Amazon... what's up with that?? 

Written By: jaytee on 06/25/04 at 10:36 pm

Talking Heads but I also love Elvis Costello and Blondie.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/24/04 at 4:45 pm

Hands down, Blondie!

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/05 at 5:21 pm

Roxy Music, followed by Bruce Woolley and The Camera Club  8)

Written By: nally on 09/25/05 at 8:26 pm

Too many to pick from...how about the Cars on top, followed by the Ramones, Blondie, Roxy Music, and Elvis Costello (in no particular order).

Written By: ramonjet on 11/09/05 at 6:47 pm

I liked elvis costello," watching the detectives" and of course blondie

Written By: vinyl lover on 11/10/05 at 8:52 pm

the cars were my favorite group growing up..i have all of their albums...but the b52s are a close second..both of these groups you could play loud and find yourself moving in all directions!!

Written By: gord on 11/10/05 at 9:20 pm

The Cars 1st, and The Talking Heads a close 2nd :)

Written By: pretendingtoswim on 11/10/05 at 11:39 pm

I voted for the Cars, since I was a huge fan of theirs in the 80's.

Other early new wave artists I like:
The Knack
Simple Minds
Romeo Void
Kraftwerk
Depeche Mode
New Order
Gary Numan
Flock of Seagulls
The Vapors
The Thompson Twins
Haircut 100
Missing Persons
The Cure
Oingo Boingo
Adam and the Ants
The B-52's
DEVO
Falco

Some of the bands I liked as early New Wave artists (like the Cure) went on to expand on that, and not really be New Wave anymore.  Some other genres were lumped in with New Wave, like the Stray Cats (rockabilly) or Madness (ska), and I liked all that stuff too. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/16/05 at 9:42 am

The Cars would be my tops from the list.

More on the rock side, but they're the guys we really need to thank for making that whole genre so mainstream in the 80's. Hell, back in 1978, they were new wave before new wave was cool - with groundbreaking synth/hard rockers like "My Best Friend's Girl" and (the now synonymous with commercials) pop hit "Just What I Needed."

If it weren't for that debut album, their own Heartbeat City 6 years later -- along with every other 80's new wave and dance song -- may have never happened!! ;)

Blondie were also on the pop/alternative side of the genre and had a similar effect.

Another one I'd even go so far as to mention is Tom Petty. His first three albums had a punk/new wave feel to them (he was actually classified as that early on). If you listen to "I Need to Know" and even the big pop hit "Refugee" you can kinda hear that.

Written By: oneno on 11/16/05 at 1:06 pm

Another Eno work was DEVO who gets my vote. Kings Lead Hat was an anagram for Talking Heads, and Eno produced Ultraxox's first album as well.

That's a good one!

Check for new replies or respond here...