inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Goodies

Written By: karen on 06/23/04 at 5:01 am

Did anyone see the programme the other night called Comedy Connections?  It was all about the performing history of the people involved in The Goodies.  They also showed lots of clips from the different episodes.

This is one 70's comedy I wouldn't mind them repeating.  Ecky Thump!

Subject: Re: The Goodies

Written By: Bobby on 06/23/04 at 5:21 am

Ah yes I saw it, Karen. I didn't realise Bill Oddie and the Goodies crew were so linked with Monty Python. I suppose after watching a Goodies espisode, there are slight similarities.

I loved it when they said that Mary Whitheouse was ruining their credibility by calling the show 'wholesome family entertainment' so they tried different ways of changing her mind. They managed to in the end by doing a Saturday Night Fever skit with Tim Brooke Taylor wearing a carrot on the crotch of his underpants!  ;D

Admittedly, I never got much of a chance to see The Goodies but it went on for such a long time (12 years?). It must have been quite a British institution.

Written By: karen on 06/23/04 at 6:15 am

Admittedly, I never got much of a chance to see The Goodies but it went on for such a long time (12 years?). It must have been quite a British institution.

I always forget what a youngster you are Bobby!

I find it hard to believe that it was on until the early 80's as well.

Perhaps the best way for the show to be repeated would be for people to vote for their favourite episode and then run "The Nation's Top Ten Goodies Episodes"

Written By: Paul on 06/23/04 at 7:10 am

Heh! Used to love this lot...if memory serves it was always aired at about 10pm, and it was the only show I was allowed to stay up and watch...

'Kit Kong' (the one featuring the huge kitty, and a very young Michael Aspel) was about their best - this episode won countless awards...

They moved to ITV in the 80's, but by then the magic had gone...

Strangely, the BBC are very reluctant to re-run any episodes, and the only time they get an airing on terrestrial TV is on retro programmes like the above...(same can be said for Spike Milligan's brilliant 'Q' series...)

The Goodies themselves were rather peeved by this attitude, and they had to resort to bringing out some shows on Video/DVD themselves - I think they were issued last year, and should feasibly still be available...

Written By: karen on 06/23/04 at 8:52 am

I was discussing this programme at lunchtime with some colleagues and one of them said that the original tapes for The Goodies had been destroyed.

Paul, I don't remember it been on as late as 10.00.  I certainly wouldn't have been allowed to stay up and watch it at the time given how young I was.  I thought it was more early evening, say 7.00.

I used to watch the Q series as well. I'm not sure what number they started at but I can remember Q9

Written By: Paul on 06/23/04 at 1:27 pm

I was discussing this programme at lunchtime with some colleagues and one of them said that the original tapes for The Goodies had been destroyed.

Apparently they all exist in the BBC archives! The 'Kitten Kong' (to give it its rightful title) episode was actually a re-make of an episode from an earlier series (which I didn't know!)

Paul, I don't remember it been on as late as 10.00.  I certainly wouldn't have been allowed to stay up and watch it at the time given how young I was.  I thought it was more early evening, say 7.00.

Looks like we're both sort-of right on this one, karen...this gives the full low-down...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/g/goodiesthe_7772865.shtml
...head towards the bottom of the page - the programmes start off 'late' but get progressively 'earlier' with time...probably due to the popularity...

I used to watch the Q series as well. I'm not sure what number they started at but I can remember Q9

I think it started as Q5 in 1969...it was certainly not to everyone's taste, but I loved it!!

Written By: jaytee on 06/23/04 at 5:13 pm

Did anyone see the programme the other night called Comedy Connections?  It was all about the performing history of the people involved in The Goodies.  They also showed lots of clips from the different episodes.

This is one 70's comedy I wouldn't mind them repeating.  Ecky Thump!

I hope the ABC in Australia buy this!  I'd love to see it.

Written By: maddog on 06/23/04 at 6:18 pm

I was a big Goodies fan in the 1970s but, as Paul said, they really went off the boil with the move to ITV in the 1980s.
If you listen to the radio comedy series "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue" on the BBC you will regularly hear Graeme Garden and Tim Brooke Taylor being teased mercilessly about the refusal of the BBC to repeat the programmes.

The DVD of some old episodes is now available but I don't think I'll be shelling out for it. The BBC documentary the other night sort of reinforced my feeling that it's one of those things better left to affectionate nostalgia!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/24/04 at 2:24 am

Wonderful show

Played it ad nauseum here in the 70's.

I sat glued to it

My fave episode was the Pirate radio station and Post Office, with their one record  - Horst Jankowski's "A Walk In the Black Forest"  ;D

Also the episode where they were bad boy scouts and had to earn their "World Domination" badges  :)

Written By: Gis on 06/24/04 at 11:55 am

My brother still plays the album sometimes at parties.Who can forget the Funky Gibbon,Nappy Love and Wild thing??

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/25/04 at 2:43 am

I love that the ABC here still wacks on a few eps each year to give me a fix !!

I am terrible at remembering actual ep titles - but some of my most fave moments were when they bounced around the world on those bouncy balls with ears - and when they went thru Sth Africa they gave a little dig at aparthied with the piano that had black keys on one side and white keys on the other.
And the one where Tim sung Wild Thing.  I have never been able to listen to that song without picturing him singing it to a room of elderly ladies !!!

And the giant cat one, and the one where they ended up inside a dinosaur's belly - or was that the giant cat one as well !!

I think I need another treck to JB Hi Fi for some dvds !!!!

Written By: mandamoo on 06/25/04 at 3:34 am

I don't remember specific episodes, though my brother never missed it !

I remember the song......I actually found the lyrics ! ;D

Take a little good advice;
Try a trip to paradise.
It's not hard to find,
You've got it on your mind,
You can't pretend it wouldn't be nice.

It's whatever turns you on.

Goodies!

A circus or a seaside pier,
A sausage or a can of beer,
A stripper or a clown,
Prices going down,
You can make it happen here.

Fine for all the family.

Goodies!

Goodies, goody goody yum yum!
The Goodies are coming for you
And you and you and you.

Written By: Bobby on 06/25/04 at 6:18 am

I always forget what a youngster you are Bobby!

I find it hard to believe that it was on until the early 80's as well.

Perhaps the best way for the show to be repeated would be for people to vote for their favourite episode and then run "The Nation's Top Ten Goodies Episodes"

Heh heh. I have an old mind, Karen. I was heavily influenced by my dad who loved the surreal stuff of the 70s. Amongst The Goodies records he had, he got one called 'Father Christmas do not touch me'. The trouble was, the record got stuck at the end when it was 'ho ho ho-ing' and when I was little, I thought that was pretty freaky.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 06/25/04 at 8:11 am

I don't remember specific episodes, though my brother never missed it !

I remember the song......I actually found the lyrics ! ;D

Fine for all the family.

:o

All these years I have sung "FUN for all the family"  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: karen on 06/25/04 at 11:27 am

My brother still plays the album sometimes at parties.Who can forget the Funky Gibbon,Nappy Love and Wild thing??

My all-time favourite is Make a Daft Noise for Christmas

Written By: Ed Wilkinson on 06/29/04 at 4:45 am

I've been listening to their album 'Yum Yum' over the last week, it's just hilarious! I grew up not being allowed to watch them, so revisiting decades later is heaps of fun.

Some episodes are great, others are ... not so great. I think the CD gives the best in the shortest time :)

Ed

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/05 at 8:14 am

I've been listening to their album 'Yum Yum' over the last week, it's just hilarious! I grew up not being allowed to watch them, so revisiting decades later is heaps of fun.

Some episodes are great, others are ... not so great. I think the CD gives the best in the shortest time :)

Ed

The DVDs are just great!

Written By: oneno on 09/12/05 at 6:12 am

This shaow as Monty Python and Fawlty Towers , were all originaly aired here in Illionois on a PBS station. I still remember the house races, very good, but Monty Python will always be my fav.

Check for new replies or respond here...