inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weird 70's School Workbooks

Written By: tjframe on 06/27/04 at 5:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to remember the name of a series of strange school reading workbooks from the  middle 70's (when I was about 8 or 10).  Basically all I can remember is that the series was designed to teach kids how to read (and possibly learn math too). The workbooks came in different colors like green, blue, brown, etc. depending on how advanced the subject was. The books had some hand drawn characters that had adventures in a strange surreal world with talking letters and words and stuff.. The same characters reappeared from workbook to workbook and it seems like they were supposed to be real people that had been transported to a "letter island" or something bizzare like that.. Anyway,  I remember going to the library and checking out workbooks/flimstrips that could be completed by a student on their own time and once you were done you could move on to the next series.  This was in Minnesota, but I assume the series was nationwide. Does anyone else remember these workbooks, and what they were called?

- TJ

Subject: Re: Weird 70's School Workbooks

Written By: AL-B on 06/29/04 at 10:50 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to remember the name of a series of strange school reading workbooks from the  middle 70's (when I was about 8 or 10).  Basically all I can remember is that the series was designed to teach kids how to read (and possibly learn math too). The workbooks came in different colors like green, blue, brown, etc. depending on how advanced the subject was. The books had some hand drawn characters that had adventures in a strange surreal world with talking letters and words and stuff.. The same characters reappeared from workbook to workbook and it seems like they were supposed to be real people that had been transported to a "letter island" or something bizzare like that.. Anyway,  I remember going to the library and checking out workbooks/flimstrips that could be completed by a student on their own time and once you were done you could move on to the next series.  This was in Minnesota, but I assume the series was nationwide. Does anyone else remember these workbooks, and what they were called?

- TJ

Do you hear that??? That's the sound of me beating my head against the wall trying to remember what those @%*$*ing workbooks were called!  :D

Written By: tjframe on 06/30/04 at 4:31 am

Ah ha! So I wasn't crazy!  I knew someone else out there had to have had them too.. I hope you or someone else can recall the name or at least remember more details. Just curious, what state where you in?

- TJ

Written By: lorac614 on 06/30/04 at 11:10 am

I have a very vague memory.  The ones I remember were in a box, they were color coded and I believe they also had a math series, maybe even science.  I need to call my sister, she's a teacher, maybe she'll remember more.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/30/04 at 1:14 pm

I seem to recall those, too.  For some reason I'm getting the idea that they were called LU's....I could be wrong though.  I lived in California during the time you're talking about and was in 3rd/4th grade. 

Written By: Marian on 06/30/04 at 2:27 pm

Hi all,

- TJ

:D ;D 8)If you're talikng about the same books my school used,they were called S.R.A.s--can't remember what that stood for.THe first level was aqua.Cheers!

Written By: lorac614 on 06/30/04 at 3:17 pm

:D ;D 8)If you're talikng about the same books my school used,they were called S.R.A.s--can't remember what that stood for.THe first level was aqua.Cheers!

MARIAN!!!!!!  Thank you!!  That is what we had at my school!!   :)

After doing a little searching I found out SRA stands for Science Research Associates.

Written By: Marian on 07/01/04 at 2:16 pm

MARIAN!!!!!!  Thank you!!  That is what we had at my school!!   :)

After doing a little searching I found out SRA stands for Science Research Associates.
;D ;DI guess they were nationwide,because san jose had the.I 'm glad someone knew what the initials stood for.I think I DID them in 1st or second grade.Cheers!

Subject: TJ WHERE ARE YOU?!?!?!

Written By: KGrrrl on 08/05/04 at 8:28 pm

yo yo YO!!! TJ!!!

WHERE ARE YOU??!?!

PLEASE EMAIL ME - I MISS YAZ

KT

Hi all,

- TJ

Written By: Howard on 08/05/04 at 9:01 pm

I do remember SRAs I used to work in 18 years ago.Those were the days.  :)

Howard

Written By: mandamoo on 08/06/04 at 4:23 am

I remember using them here too. I was always keen to move on to the next colour and beat my friends ! I must've been quite competitive back then ! ;D

Written By: jaytee on 08/06/04 at 9:16 am

I remember using them here too. I was always keen to move on to the next colour and beat my friends ! I must've been quite competitive back then ! ;D

Yes - I can remember those books.  I loved reading them and getting to the next level. :)

Written By: Howard on 08/06/04 at 7:50 pm

http://www.sraonline.com/images/productshots/ph_sra_pho_021.jpg

I think they kinda updated the SRA booklets lately.Do you remember doing Phonics? ???

Howard

Written By: saver on 08/16/04 at 4:24 pm

I REMEMBER(do you)...
In the mid 60's growing up in Catholic schools in Cleve. Ohio books called 'Reading Aloft'

Not sure if they carried into the 70's??

Saver

Written By: Jeff on 09/07/04 at 1:11 pm

Here's a new one for ya'll. Anyone remember the language book "The Dopple Gang"? We used it in second grade (1973). They had strange characters like "Mrs. Rhutabaga". Sure would like to get a copy again.

Check for new replies or respond here...