inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The '70's...Worst decade, IMO

Written By: woops on 07/06/04 at 4:21 pm

12 things that made the '70's Bland  :P  Based from other threads on other decade forums.  :)

Disclaimer: This thread isn't meant to offend anybody. Be free to agree or disagree with some of the statements.  :) BTW, I like some good "pop culture" from the decade.

1. Disco!!!!

Prior to the late '90's pop explosion, disco was the most annoying type of music. Mostly about "style over substance" like the lack of depth & mostly tie in with dances. Also invented to have business at roller rinks & clubs.

2. teen idols

I know that teen idols were around long before the '70's, but the '70's had the cheesiest bubblegum acts that would make N' Sync look cool.  With the only exception of the Jackson Five. The 5 worst offenders: The Osmonds, David Cassidy, Bay City Rollers, Leif Garret, & Andy Gibbs. Unlike The Beatles, they had lacked talent & are looked as a joke. Thankfully the '80's were a better decade with teen idols that had talent along with their image like Duran Duran, Madonna (before 1991), George Micheal, Bon Jovi, New Edition, & Debbie Gibson.

3. Cartoons (some, not all)

Most of the cartoons from the '70's were mostly "Scooby Doo" rip offs & teenagers with bands. Don't get me wrong, some of the 'toons were good/ok like "Josie & Th Pussycats" & "Hong Kong Phooey".
But some were just plain horrific like these examples: "Goober & The Ghost Chasers", "Laff-a-Lympics", "Pebbles & Bamm Bamm", "Funky Phantom", and "Devlin".

4. variety show overload

The second most embarassing tv trend in history, next to reality shows, with about every celebrity from the Jackson Five, Sonny & Cher, to the cast of "The Brady Bunch" (except for Eve Plumb, "Jan Brady") had a variety show. Enough said.

5. James Taylor

So bland that he makes John Mayer sound interesting. IMO, he's the most boring singer/songwriter of all time with dull songs like "Fire & Rain".

6. Journey

Even '70's  rock had it's share of cheese like Journey, fronted by Steve Perry who sounds like if he's muzzled. Unfortunately, their popularity lasted 'til the mid 1980's. Along with bad music videos that would rank amongst a "worst" list.

7. Pet Rocks

I just don't get it? I was given a "used pet rock" in the late '90's as a gag gift & the only good use of it is for a paper weight.

8. MASH

IMO, one of the most overrated tv show of all time. I've heard that it was a comedy, but it had to be one of  the most boring shows of all time.

9. The Waltons & Little House on the Prarie

See "MASH", but I don't think they're considered a "classic"

10. polyester

IMO, the most uncomfortable fabric of all time. Not because they looked tacky (I know that the fashion was popular), it's because it makes some people feel itchy like a woolen sweater worn at a sunny day.  :P

11.  Grease

Not because I don't like musicals, it's because it's the most cheesiest movie of all time. Some dishonorable mentions: "Rocky Horror Picture Show", "Love Story", "Beyond the Posiedion Adventure", & "Night of the Lepus".

12. Farrah Fawcett

Overrated.

Subject: Re: The '70's...Worst decade, IMO

Written By: Dagwood on 07/06/04 at 5:58 pm

I think that every decade has it's detractors...personally I think the 90's were way worse than the 70's...maybe that's because the 80's were over and I was bitter.  ;)

Most of the cartoons from the '70's were mostly "Scooby Doo" rip offs & teenagers with bands. Don't get me wrong, some of the 'toons were good/ok like "Josie & Th Pussycats" & "Hong Kong Phooey".
But some were just plain horrific like these examples: "Goober & The Ghost Chasers", "Laff-a-Lympics", "Pebbles & Bamm Bamm", "Funky Phantom", and "Devlin".

I am not sure if they were 70's or 60's but I loved alot of the "scooby Doo" Ripoffs.  Speed Buggy was one of my faves.  I also love Jabber Jaw.  Laff-a-Lympics was a fun show, too.

6. Journey

Even '70's  rock had it's share of cheese like Journey, fronted by Steve Perry who sounds like if he's muzzled. Unfortunately, their popularity lasted 'til the mid 1980's. Along with bad music videos that would rank amongst a "worst" list.

I still love Journey.

I love Little House but could never get into the Waltons. 

Written By: Athena28 on 07/06/04 at 9:15 pm

12 things that made the '70's Bland   

1. Disco!!!!

Prior to the late '90's pop explosion, disco was the most annoying type of music. Mostly about "style over substance" like the lack of depth & mostly tie in with dances. Also invented to have business at roller rinks & clubs.

Totally disagree.  It was great fun.  There was nothing like it when you and your friends went out to dance. 

2. teen idols

I know that teen idols were around long before the '70's, but the '70's had the cheesiest bubblegum acts that would make N' Sync look cool.  With the only exception of the Jackson Five. The 5 worst offenders: The Osmonds, David Cassidy, Bay City Rollers, Leif Garret, & Andy Gibbs. Unlike The Beatles, they had lacked talent & are looked as a joke. Thankfully the '80's were a better decade with teen idols that had talent along with their image like Duran Duran, Madonna (before 1991), George Micheal, Bon Jovi, New Edition, & Debbie Gibson.

I’d rather be reading Tiger Beat with David Cassidy and Donny Osmond on the cover than having to deal with what teens have to deal with now.  The music wasn’t that deep, it’s true.  It was light and forgettable and much of the attraction was based on, well, the attraction of the performers.  But, hell, we were teenage girls, what else did you expect?

4. variety show overload

The second most embarassing tv trend in history, next to reality shows, with about every celebrity from the Jackson Five, Sonny & Cher, to the cast of "The Brady Bunch" (except for Eve Plumb, "Jan Brady") had a variety show. Enough said.

Agreed regarding variety shows, but I don't mind all reality shows.

5. James Taylor

So bland that he makes John Mayer sound interesting. IMO, he's the most boring singer/songwriter of all time with dull songs like "Fire & Rain".

Totally disagree, what about:  "Mockingbird"; "Your Smiling Face"; "Shower the People";  “You've Got a Friend"; “How Sweet It Is To Be Loved by You".

6. Journey

Agreed.  I'd like to nominate Kansas as well.

7. Pet Rocks

I just don't get it? I was given a "used pet rock" in the late '90's as a gag gift & the only good use of it is for a paper weight.

A fun fad...like mood rings; cabbage patch dolls & Rubik's Cube of the 80s; & beanie babies of the 90s. 

8. MASH

IMO, one of the most overrated tv show of all time. I've heard that it was a comedy, but it had to be one of  the most boring shows of all time.

Won’t go into any long explanations.  Just will state for the record, “I disagree.”

Didn’t care for The Waltons personally, but know many did.  Didn’t watch Little House during its initial run, but watched it as an adult and LOVED it.

10. polyester

IMO, the most uncomfortable fabric of all time. Not because they looked tacky (I know that the fashion was popular), it's because it makes some people feel itchy like a woolen sweater worn at a sunny day.
How could you go out dancing without wearing a Huckapoo shirt? http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/33/21/AlltypesofPhotos2/1/2a.jpg And a Huckapoo shirt was made of polyester! It was worth any perspiring you did for the evening.  ;)

11.  Grease

Not because I don't like musicals, it's because it's the most cheesiest movie of all time. Some dishonorable mentions: "Rocky Horror Picture Show", "Love Story", "Beyond the Posiedion Adventure", & "Night of the Lepus".

Granted, Grease hasn’t aged as well as Saturday Night Fever but is it really the ‘most cheesiest movie of all time’ ?  As for Rocky Horror, there was nothing like a midnight showing.  However, you are 1,000% correct on Beyond the Poseidon Adventure .  I’m embarrassed for Sally Field.

12. Farrah Fawcett

Overrated.

Not in the beginning.  After the whole thing exploded, sure.  But when she first came on the scene and changed popular culture -- with the hair & the teeth and the poster with the word SEX hidden in it...well that was something.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/07/04 at 7:11 am

One of the anthems of the 70's was  Freebird. 
I mean really

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/07/04 at 7:53 am

I think that every decade has it's detractors...personally I think the 90's were way worse than the 70's...maybe that's because the 80's were over and I was bitter.  ;)

Three cheers for Dagwood !  Summed up all my feelings in one sentence or so  :)

Written By: bj26 on 07/07/04 at 10:28 am

I like most of Woops' assessments and believe they are right on, the only dissagreement I have is that I loved late 60s, early 70s James Taylor. Otherwise, I was a rebel turned punk rocker inthe 70s, and many of the fads mentioned above turned my stomach.  Kudos to Woops !!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/07/04 at 2:21 pm

I disagree about the 1970's being the worst decade.  IMO, some of the best music came out during that time. 

Like Dagwood (and Fuss) said...the 90's were way worse!

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/07/04 at 2:33 pm

i just made the comment yesterday that it would be great to be transported back to 1975 for a day..ok..maybe more like a decade..loved the 70's and still do!

Written By: Rush on 07/07/04 at 3:03 pm

5. James Taylor

Controller: Er, some good news, gentlemen.  We have quite a treat for you.  We've been able to coax superstar James Taylor in here to Mission Control to wish you well and play you a little bit of his own brand of laid-back adult contemporary music.
Homer: Wow, former president James Taylor.
Taylor: How ya doin', fellas?
Buzz: With all due respect, Mr. Taylor, this isn't the best time for your unique brand of bittersweet folk rock.  We have a potentially critical situation here.  I'm sure you'll understand.
Taylor: Listen, Aldrin, I'm not as laid back as people think.  Now here's the deal: I'm going to play, and you're going to float there and like it.

When you're down, and troubled, And you need a helping hand, And nothing, oh, nothing is going right...

Written By: gemini61 on 07/07/04 at 3:44 pm

I disagree about the 1970's being the worst decade.  IMO, some of the best music came out during that time. 

Like Dagwood (and Fuss) said...the 90's were way worse!

I totally agree with you C.F. Some of my best memories are from the 70s! Especially the music! :D

Written By: jenx on 07/07/04 at 3:56 pm

1. Disco!!!!

Disco wasn't supposed to be intellectual, raise the bar for musicians, or even speak for a generation.  It was just dance music...a good beat to help kids get their collective freak on.  No reason to hate it unless you are elevating it higher than it deserves.  It served a purpose.  JMO.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/07/04 at 4:01 pm

I loved Journey....until Steve Perry left :(

Thier may have been disco BUT there was also "Disco Destruction" night in Chicago in 1979! (Apologies to Hairspray)

M*A*S*H was VERY funny until Colonel Henry Blake left....then it turned into a drama..

MANY great songs and Artists came from that decade!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/07/04 at 4:09 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I LOVE Journey, too!  8)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/07/04 at 4:19 pm

Nooo!  I love Journey (and Kansas for that matter!)!!  And James Taylor wasn't that bad.. I agree, some of his stuff could put me in a coma.  Haven't you ever heard his duet with Carly Simon, "Mockingbird"?  You can't say that's boring--annoying, maybe, but not boring ;)

I respect your opinions woops.  I agree with you on several of these and disagree with you on several as well.  Guess it's hard for me to tell since I didn't grow up in the 70s and my knowledge and interest of that decade isn't as strong, as, say, the 80s. :-\\

Written By: Paul on 07/07/04 at 5:06 pm

Suppose it depends on how you perceive it...I was 'fortunate' enough to have grown-up (allegedly!) in it, and it wasn't all beer and skittles...

Let's see, we had...

The global energy crisis (we in the UK were very close to having our petrol rationed...!)

Almost everyone going out on strike (which virtually crippled British industry - something we never fully recovered from...)

The power-cuts...(where's them candles?)

The height of the God-awful 'tower block' boom...

Being put through the (so-called) education mincer...!

Don't get me wrong - it was a better decade to grow up in than, say, the 1870s (where I'd probably have been shoved up a chimney...!) - but I think I'd have preferred the 1960s more...(much more going on...)

But for all that, it is part of my life - a substantial part - and most of the music that was churned out at the time (whether pop. rock, disco, punk, prog...) is still highly valid today...

Bland decade? In a word...no! Not for me, at any rate...but I'm old enough to say that...!

I wonder whether the 'soundtrack' and 'culture' of the 90s onwards will still be remembered as well in years to come...

PS - mind you, I do agree with the comment about Pet Rocks...!

Written By: Bobby on 07/07/04 at 5:21 pm

I was unfortunate not to know the 1970s. I love Disco and it is great music to dance to - nothing more, nothing less.  ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 07/07/04 at 6:35 pm

Three cheers for Dagwood !  Summed up all my feelings in one sentence or so  :)

Why thank you, Fuss.

Written By: jaytee on 07/07/04 at 9:40 pm

Woops - you had to be there!!!

Written By: Zella on 07/07/04 at 11:47 pm

12 things that made the '70's Bland  :P  Based from other threads on other decade forums.  :)

5. James Taylor

I have to agree with this one, except for Fire and Rain, which was a halfway decent song. All the rest of his stuff was incredibly boring... (Okay CF, you can punch me now.... ;) )

Written By: bj26 on 07/08/04 at 12:24 pm

You really have to have lived during the period (probably older than a little kid) to know its ups and downs.  For eg. I like disco now, it's fun and nice music, and you can point and pose, etc., but back in the 70s I thought disco and disco people sucked.  That doesn't go for all 70s culture, eg. Lief Garrett, hated then AND now :P.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/08/04 at 12:39 pm

I have to agree with this one, except for Fire and Rain, which was a halfway decent song. All the rest of his stuff was incredibly boring... (Okay CF, you can punch me now.... ;) )

Grrrrr!  :D ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/04 at 1:04 pm

I must say that the 70s were the worst in terms of fashion-polyester suits with platform shoes? UUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! Not to mention all the other "fashion" trends-Earth shoes, striped pants, gouchos-man, call the fashion police-PLEASE!

As for pop-culture, I think the 70s, were deffinately great in terms of music-yeah, yeah, we did have our share of bubblegum-can you say, Bay City Rollers? or Donny and Marie? But today we have Britney Spears. (Which is worse? Tough question). But we did have GREAT bands like Lynard Skynard, and The Eagles. Disco? Well, that is a matter of taste. I must admit that there are some disco songs that I LOVE (like I Will Survive). And disco added to the evelution of popular music.

T.V-IMO, M*A*S*H* was the BEST show EVER. Yes, it was a comedy but they included the seriousness of war-which probably hit home to a lot of people in the 70s-dealing with Vietnam-even though the show went longer then the actual war did (both the Vietnam and Korean wars). Yes, Little House and the Walnuts-oops, I mean Waltons were VERY sappy. Did I watch them? Of course. I watched just about everything on in those days. All those detective shows got a little (ok, maybe a bit more than a little) nausating after a while-Charlie's Angels, 6 Million Dollar Man, Starsky and Hutch, Police Woman, etc, etc. 

Yes, there were some very stupid thing to come out of the 70s, pet rocks, mood rings, to name a few. But we also had the origins of video games (do you remember Pong?). And yes, there were many actors/actresses who were over rated-like Farrah Faucett, Leif Garrett, etc.

That is my analysis of the 70s. Have a nice day.  :)

Cat

Written By: Hairspray on 07/09/04 at 9:25 am

I don't think the 70's were the worst decade. I enjoyed it very much! :) :D 8)

The 90's and present, on the other hand, haven't impressed me one bit; aside from a very few exceptions. :P

Written By: mandamoo on 07/09/04 at 10:30 pm

7. Pet Rocks

Therein lies your problem !  You can't teach an old rock new tricks ! :D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/10/04 at 7:55 am

Therein lies your problem !  You can't teach an old rock new tricks ! :D

Muwahahaa  ;D  There's some of that awful 70's humour  :D ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/10/04 at 7:56 am

Woops - you had to be there!!!

Quite  :)  And as I was, and I have also had to suffer thru the 90's, and also the present, all I can say is TAKE ME BACK  :o

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/10/04 at 1:23 pm

Quite  :)  And as I was, and I have also had to suffer thru the 90's, and also the present, all I can say is TAKE ME BACK  :o

I hear ya!  :)

Written By: BriMac35 on 07/11/04 at 7:23 am

Agreed , I would give anything to go back .

Written By: woops on 07/23/04 at 11:36 pm

To be honest, I wasn't around in the '70's, but hear me out...

IMO, the '90's was a better decade for tv, music, and a few movies.  8)

Except for the '70's "comeback", which I couldn't stand. (No offense)

'70's Pop Culture I like:

Brady Bunch, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Queen, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Josie & The Pussycats, Jackson Five, Smokey & The Bandit, Good Times, Talking Heads, The Cure, Blondie,  :), Ziggy comic strips, and a couple I can think of...

Written By: danootaandme on 07/24/04 at 7:32 am

Bottom line is the decades are what you make them.  In the 70's I learned how to ride a motorcycle, learned how to walk in high heels, listened to the Clash, listened to Phoebe Snow, broke hearts, suffered hearbrake, watched TV,  got rid ot the TV, read for months at a time, didn't read for months at a time. went to school, left school, got  jobs, got fired, quit, got hired.  In the 70's I pretty much did what I did in the 80's, 90's, and am doing in the 00's.  One day you may not be able to choose, so make your choices while you can.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/24/04 at 8:40 am

I loved the 70s!!!  I started school in 1971, I played pee wee baseball, went to my first and last baseball game.  Okay folks, I have said it before and I will say it again: I was a kid in the 70s, I had to be home by nine pm, I had to tell my folks where I was and when I would return, I had to be home for supper, heck I had more rules governing me than a small country but since I have grown up I have come to realize that even with a ton of restrictions placed on me, I have never been so free as I was when I was a child!  Not to mention I was very naive I had very little prejudice.
God lyk!
PS I still love the 70s!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/24/04 at 3:37 pm

Disclaimer: This thread isn't meant to offend anybody. Be free to agree or disagree with some of the statements.   :) BTW, I like some good "pop culture" from the decade.

1. Disco!!!!

2. teen idols

4. variety show overload

5. James Taylor

6. Journey

7. Pet Rocks

8. MASH

10. polyester

IMO, the most uncomfortable fabric of all time. Not because they looked tacky (I know that the fashion was popular), it's because it makes some people feel itchy like a woolen sweater worn at a sunny day.  :P

11.  Grease

12. Farrah Fawcett

Overrated.

The 90s sucked more than the 70s ever could.

1. Disco!!!!

WTF? Disco is the forefather of house, club, and techno music. Yes, some of it was bad, but not all of it. Those that didn't like often had a problem with the multicultural and multi-sexual orientational face of it. Most people danced to it with fun in their hearts (not angst). Didn't you wonder that those who hated it were often rednecked hillbillies?

2. teen idols

I agree that some of the teen idols sucked and the eighties had better teen idols, but nothing sucked more than those teen idols in the 90s and now.

I agree that some was bad, but Josie and the Pussycats rocked!

4. variety show overload

Yes, I agree. The best was Flip Wilson and Sonny & Cher

5. James Taylor

Fire and Rain/Your Smiling Face - great tunes. I do not like his take on "How Sweet It Is" though.

6. Journey

Steve Perry was a good frontman. Open Arms and Sherry (Great 80's tunes)

7. Pet Rocks

Agree

8. MASH

Good show. My dad watched it a lot

The Waltons was nice. I enjoyed the re-runs (I was born in 1976, it was all I had). I never got into LHOTP, though. I read Laura Ingalls Wilder's books, which I liked better.

10. polyester

Agree

11.  Grease

This movie is not cheesy. It is pure fun. Excuse me, Rocky Horror Picture show is one of THE best cult films ever. Those who don't like it often don't get it.

12. Farrah Fawcett

I agree that she was overated

Written By: memory on 06/26/05 at 1:51 pm

there were alot more things that made the 70s the best.

Written By: Athena28 on 06/26/05 at 3:09 pm

Hey, I just bought a puka necklace.   ;D   The 70s live.

Written By: Im Batman on 06/27/05 at 1:03 am

Forget the bad hair and the bad clothes, the 70's gave us The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, Led Zepplin!

What did the 80's give us?

Ronald Reagan and Greed is Good.

No contest, 70's over 80's.

Check for new replies or respond here...