inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who Skateboarded ?

Written By: fusionman67 on 07/09/04 at 1:58 am

Who skateboarded  in the 70's ? I was into it bigtime. It was one of the hottest things back then.

Subject: Re: Who Skateboarded ?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/09/04 at 6:07 am

I loved skateboarding back in the mid- to late- 70's.  Fun!  I wasn't a "trickster" though...

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/09/04 at 7:37 am

I watched too many of my brother's friends break bones to wanna try it  :-\\

Written By: Paul on 07/09/04 at 4:40 pm

Never again...!!

Written By: mandamoo on 07/11/04 at 3:59 am

I tried, but I was too uncoordinated  ::)

I prefered riding my brothers billy-cart ! :)

Written By: bj26 on 07/12/04 at 6:54 am

I had a skateboard then, basically a 2 x 4 thing with steel roller skate wheels, it would fly! Does anyone remember a short movie about 2 skateboarders after the same girl, so they challenged each other to have a skate-off down a steep hill?

Written By: mandamoo on 07/14/04 at 5:59 am

I had a skateboard then, basically a 2 x 4 thing with steel roller skate wheels, it would fly! Does anyone remember a short movie about 2 skateboarders after the same girl, so they challenged each other to have a skate-off down a steep hill?

The only movie about skateboards that I remember, starred Leif Garrett :P

Written By: danootaandme on 07/14/04 at 6:12 am

I skateboarded, on one of those homemade 2x4 things, and had a blast.  I lived on a steep hill and would jump off right before
I got to the main drag, then go back up the hill and do it again.There was a bit of a problem when I showed my sister how to do it, I was the daredevil, she was not.  She got scared half way down jumped off backward instead of forward, well, we revived her and we all promised not to tell my mother.  We never did. How I ever survived childhood intact I'll never know.

Written By: StarskyHutch76 on 07/14/04 at 4:04 pm

I used to, until I got my totally b*tchin' car!

Written By: gemini61 on 07/15/04 at 5:16 pm

We had the home made one made of wood and roller skate wheels too! I about killed myself on that thing! Also tried the home made go-cart with lawn mower wheels and scrap wood! Now, that thing was fun! ;D

Written By: Heavymetal on 07/21/04 at 5:11 pm

I loved to skateboard. I had a Sims and a Sizzler. Funny thing, that's all we did when I was staying at my Grandparents house. We would put down cones in the middle of the street and weave in and out. Keep in mind the street was steep. We also built our own ramp for tricks. I'm 38 and I still get on my sons every now and then.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/24/04 at 7:36 am

The only movie about skateboards that I remember, starred Leif Garrett :P

And hopefully, he fell face first repeatedly  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/24/04 at 1:18 pm

And hopefully, he fell face first repeatedly  ;)

Oh, now that's just mean!  ::) ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/14/06 at 1:02 pm

I never skateboarded...but my cousin was always into it a lot...and he was pretty good too. I used to watch him and his friends skate...and I usually had a crush on one of his friends. :D

Written By: Banks on 01/14/06 at 6:44 pm

I used to have a blue banana board. It was fibreglass and was very thin. I lived on a street that had a huge hill, so I went to the top of that hill but was too scared to stand up and go down the hill, so I layed down on the board. Half way down I got speed wobbles and crashed into the gutter. I slid on my back for about 5 feet. I was rushed to hospital with severe concussion, broken collar bone, broken elbow, severely bruised legs and severe gravel rash to my back...PLUS my Phantom T-shirt was destroyed.

Here, in Newcastle Australia, the late 70's brought the BMX bike craze. That was more popular than skate-boarding. I had a Super Max with toughs and all the pads and trimmings. I entered some races and won a few. I remember there was what was known as a 'dirt track' on the street which run off my own. My friends and I would race around that track. We eventually incorperated stunts etc. I was 7 and remember being able to 'bunny hop' onto car bonnets and boots.

AN

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/14/06 at 11:07 pm

8) I had one of the first skateboards in my "hood..lol...My parents owned a sporting goods store and I got two right off the bat, a yellow and a orange..back then they were skinny and shaped like a banana, also made out of plastic, I think...I had soo much fun..but ALOT of spills ...which I still have scars from today..

Written By: spaceace on 01/31/06 at 2:27 pm

I didn't but my sister did.  Does anyone remember the skateboard called the Hot Dogger? Or is it just the Hot Dog.  Her's was a long skinny yellow thing you barely had room to stand on. :P

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/31/06 at 4:14 pm

I didn't but my sister did.  Does anyone remember the skateboard called the Hot Dogger? Or is it just the Hot Dog.  Her's was a long skinny yellow thing you barely had room to stand on. :P
  :D It sounds alot like the yellow one I had..just wide enough for your feet!

Written By: spaceace on 02/02/06 at 11:42 am

So ya know what I'm talking about!!!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...