inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Board Games of the 70's

Written By: eightiesfan on 07/21/04 at 7:43 am

Mine were Battleship and Operation (although sometimes that buzzer noise made me jump when you hit the funny bone)

I also remember a game called Pizza Party - being only about five years old at the time I actually thought there was a real pizza inside the game box!  ;D

Subject: Re: Favorite Board Games of the 70's

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/21/04 at 7:45 am

I had a game called Stratego.  It was sort of a miltary guessing game based on the rank of each piece.

My mother threw it out  ::)

A good friend helped me to obtain a copy a couple of years ago now, and I thank them very much  :) :) :)

Written By: mandamoo on 07/21/04 at 7:59 am

I had a game called Stratego.  It was sort of a miltary guessing game based on the rank of each piece.

My brother still has that game.

Written By: karen on 07/21/04 at 8:00 am

I liked Connect Four and Ker-Plunk.  I think these are both still available.

My brothers had Battleships and Battling Tops which was another game I liked.

Written By: lorac614 on 07/21/04 at 9:25 am

Let's see...
Mystery Date with the little door you opened to see your date.

The Bride Game, I guess after going on your "date" you got to plan your "dream wedding", LOL!!

Don't Break the Ice

Green Ghost Game, I can't remember how to play but I remember that it glowed in the dark.  (I think this was a "hand-me down" and was actually from the 60's.)

Operation

Ant's in the Pants (when I was really young)

There was another game but I can't really remember the name, I think it was something like "Down the Drain".  You had to "fish" out stuff from a tube covered with a grate??  Anyone remember this one?

Written By: eightiesfan on 07/21/04 at 9:28 am

My sister and I also had a Donny and Marie Osmond board game when those two were really popular.

I had a home version of the Family Feud game as well.

Written By: Hairspray on 07/21/04 at 10:19 am

One of my absolute faves of the time:

The Bermuda Triangle

Milton Bradley - 1975
2-4 Players - Ages 8 to Adult

http://www.gamepile.com/images/game0201.jpg

Back before there were The X-Files there was the Bermuda Triangle. Charles Berlitz wrote a book entitled The Bermuda Triangle in 1974 about a mysterious area off the coast of Florida where (supposedly) a large number of ships and aircraft disappeared "mysteriously". The idea caught the public attention at the time and the Bermuda Triangle showed up in many movies and games. (For example; Flight 19, one of the most famous disappearances, was one of the plot elements in the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind.) This game is another example of the interest generated by the book.

In Bermuda Triangle the players are operators of merchant fleets. They must navigate their fleets between the four ports on the map picking up cargos (lumber, sugar, oil and bananas). Each cargo they collect and get back to their home port gives them more cash, but they must be careful of the "mystery cloud" which moves around the board and into which their ships may vanish forever.

This is an amazingly fun game. The players move their ships along the track on the map from one port to another according to a die roll while the cloud moves and spins randomly according to the spinner. There are magnets located under the cloud and on the ship counters and if the cloud and a ship get too close together the ship is sucked into the cloud. There is really very little strategy involved in the game (beyond trying to guess where the cloud will move next and moving your ships accordingly) but is is till quite fun to play. The game rapidly turns into a "last ship remaining" contest and the ad-libs, jokes and comments made by the players as their ships are sucked out of sight are worth pulling it out for. By no means serious, but certainly fun.

http://www.gamepile.com/game02.html

Written By: karen on 07/21/04 at 10:55 am

Did anyone here play Mastermind? 

One player set a four part code and the other person had to try and deduce it.  The person setting the code scored your attempt with a series of black and white pegs relating whether you had identified the correct position and item.  It came in several different versions of code setting, coloured pegs, numbers and letters.  From memory we have a standard sized one with numbers and a travel version using coloured pegs to set the code.

Written By: nally on 07/21/04 at 10:57 am

Did anyone here play Mastermind? 

One player set a four part code and the other person had to try and deduce it.  The person setting the code scored your attempt with a series of black and white pegs relating whether you had identified the correct position and item.  It came in several different versions of code setting, coloured pegs, numbers and letters.  From memory we have a standard sized one with numbers and a travel version using coloured pegs to set the code.

Oh yeah, I've played that game lots of times. The kind I'm most familiar with is the one with the colored pegs. :) A little white peg means the color is in the secret code but in the wrong place; a black one means it's in the right place.

Written By: eightiesfan on 07/21/04 at 11:07 am

lorac614 mentioned Ants in the Pants earlier; I think there may have been a game called Cooties too, but I'm not 100% certain.

Written By: bj26 on 07/21/04 at 11:11 am

I recall Backgammon as popular and Monopoly as always.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/21/04 at 11:43 am

Fun topic!

I'd be curious to know which games were actually Released in the 70's.  Many of the games mentioned already came out way before the 70's.  I know Operation and Stratego were around in the 60's, for example .  But some obviously did come out in the 70's such as the Donny and Marie game.  Interesting.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/21/04 at 12:13 pm

I believe both were from the 60s but lasted into the 70s,  Which Witch and Mousetrap.  Anytime you get some action on the board and I love it.  Also that talking mummy game.
God lyk.

Written By: lorac614 on 07/21/04 at 12:59 pm

lorac614 mentioned Ants in the Pants earlier; I think there may have been a game called Cooties too, but I'm not 100% certain.

Yes there was "Cootie" and it's still around.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000IWDO.01.MZZZZZZZ.gif

Written By: lorac614 on 07/21/04 at 1:02 pm

The Bermuda Triangle

Milton Bradley - 1975
2-4 Players - Ages 8 to Adult

http://www.gamepile.com/images/game0201.jpg

Wow!!  I had that one too!!  Great game!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/21/04 at 2:27 pm

Monopoly  :)

Written By: gemini61 on 07/21/04 at 4:30 pm

I loved Operation, but my parents hated it!!! The noise drove them nuts  :D If anyone here had Mousetrap, I am Soooooo jealous!! I wanted that game so bad, but mom and dad would never get it. I also had one which I don't remember the name, but you had these big plastic thumbs and you had to pick up dynamite and drop it down the chimney of a house or something? If I recall, it was something Shack? Also, loved the game Life  :)

Written By: Paul on 07/21/04 at 5:24 pm

If anyone here had Mousetrap, I am Soooooo jealous!! I wanted that game so bad, but mom and dad would never get it.

Ah yes, Mousetrap...

I think almost every family in Britain had that game...a bloody awkward thing to construct, and there'd always be a crucial piece that 'went missing' after several plays...

Huge in the 70s, it did make something of a comeback in recent times...

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/21/04 at 5:30 pm

Well, Mousetrap survived my childhood intact, so much so that my nieces inherited the game and they love it too!
God lyk!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/21/04 at 6:14 pm

With 6 kids, it was like, what game DIDN'T we have?

We also had Mousetrap but I don't recall us ever actually playing it. We would try to construct it but always either got bored or ran out of time to actual play the game.  :-\\

We had:
Mystery Date
Headache (still have)
Trouble (I may still have this one, too)
Battle Ship (still have)
Booby Trap (still have-with the wooden pegs-not the plastic ones you get today)
Monopoly (still have)
Mille Bourne (a card game-still have)
Ker Plunk
Don't Spill the Beans
Cootie
Chutes and Ladders
Candy Land
Uncle Wiggley

I know there were more but that is all I can think of right now.

Cat

Written By: gemini61 on 07/21/04 at 7:33 pm

Ah yes, Mousetrap...

I think almost every family in Britain had that game...a bloody awkward thing to construct, and there'd always be a crucial piece that 'went missing' after several plays...

Huge in the 70s, it did make something of a comeback in recent times...

Thanks for the link Paul! That just makes me feel more deprived!!!  ;)  :)

Written By: gemini61 on 07/21/04 at 7:37 pm

With 6 kids, it was like, what game DIDN'T we have?

We also had Mousetrap but I don't recall us ever actually playing it. We would try to construct it but always either got bored or ran out of time to actual play the game.  :-\\

We had:
Mystery Date
Headache (still have)
Trouble (I may still have this one, too)
Battle Ship (still have)
Booby Trap (still have-with the wooden pegs-not the plastic ones you get today)
Monopoly (still have)
Mille Bourne (a card game-still have)
Ker Plunk
Don't Spill the Beans
Cootie
Chutes and Ladders
Candy Land
Uncle Wiggley

I know there were more but that is all I can think of right now.

Cat

I forgot about "Trouble", I loved that one too! And "Candy Land" was more 60s for me, but my girls had it too, and it was a little different than the original. I guess they thought it needed to be updated. But I think it was fine the way it was!

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/23/04 at 2:01 pm

The Bermuda Triangle

I remember that game! Very cool game. 8)

We also played Sorry! & Emergency! (the board game from the TV series).

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/01/04 at 10:08 pm

I have a few from the old days including:

Clue
Risk
Bonkers  (is fun. Bonkers is nice.  Bonkers is never the same game twice.)
The MAD Magazine Game (The first one to lose everything. . .WINS!)
Hangman (with Vincent Price)

Written By: nally on 12/02/04 at 12:26 am

Battle Ship (still have)

Monopoly (still have)

Chutes and Ladders

I had Chutes and Ladders as a little kid in the 80's. It was one of my all-time favorites. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/02/04 at 11:39 am

Operation
Connect Four
Monopoly
Scrabble (I am not sure if it's a 70's board game, but it's one of my favorites!)

Written By: ktelqueen on 12/02/04 at 12:44 pm

my faves are featured on my site...
:)
http://www.geocities.com/ktelqueen/games.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/02/04 at 1:10 pm

Looking at my list from back in July, I realized that I forgot a bunch (I knew I did). So, to add to it:

Sorry
Operation
It's a Small World (Yes, there was a board game of this-not too sure if it was 60s or 70s)
Mary Poppins (Again, there was a board game and again, not too sure what decade)
Which Witch (it was like a castle building game or something)
Checkers and Chinese Checkers (We didn't get into Chess until later)
Parchesi
Concentration (not like the game show but a totally different game-the peice were marbles.)
Stratego (still have it)

Well, I just may up-date this list again.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/02/04 at 4:22 pm

I'm not sure which decade it was from but I have a game called "Touche"

A pretty good strategy game.

Written By: nally on 12/09/04 at 5:55 pm

Looking at my list from back in July, I realized that I forgot a bunch (I knew I did). So, to add to it:

Sorry
Operation

Checkers and Chinese Checkers (We didn't get into Chess until later)

Concentration (not like the game show but a totally different game-the peice were marbles.)

There's a few lists of my own (in other forums) that I'll probably have to update...but I'll do it when I have the time.

Anyway, those are good games. I'm better at Chinese Checkers than I am at Regular Checkers...and I like chess. Concentration...I'm not sure I can visualize what you're referring to. ??? The only kind I know is like the gameshow, where you uncover numbered cards to find matching pairs and there's a rebus puzzle underneath.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/04 at 8:56 pm

There's a few lists of my own (in other forums) that I'll probably have to update...but I'll do it when I have the time.

Anyway, those are good games. I'm better at Chinese Checkers than I am at Regular Checkers...and I like chess. Concentration...I'm not sure I can visualize what you're referring to. ??? The only kind I know is like the gameshow, where you uncover numbered cards to find matching pairs and there's a rebus puzzle underneath.

I could be wrong about the name but I thought it was Concentration. I remember it had marble pieces and you move them up a flower-like shape board. I did a little search on Google and couldn't find anything. Who know, I may have the name wrong.

A few more I remember:

Go to the Head of the Class
(how could I forget) Twister (if you can call that a board game)
Careers

Cat

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/10/04 at 8:41 am

Did anyone have Toss Across?  It was sort of like tic-tac-toe in which you threw this beanbag thing at the board to reveal the X's and O's.  :)

Written By: Zella on 12/11/04 at 6:29 pm

I still have almost all of my 60s and 70s board games, plus a few from the 50s (Hollywood Go, Park and Shop) that belonged to my brother.

The best one I still have would be my Green Ghost game. I also have Booby Trap (yes, with the wooden pegs), Avalanche, Life, Clue, Tip It, Risk, and lots more.

My mother threw out 3 of my faves, tho' - Mousetrap, Silly Safari and Feeley Meeley. I just got a Silly Safari on Ebay as a steal of a price (it is hard to find), so am waiting for it to arrive.

Vintage Moustrap games are always available on Ebay, if you are willing to fork over a good price!  :o

Written By: Banks on 12/11/04 at 11:49 pm

Well Im not sure if these are classed as board games...but I used to have World Series Test Cricket where you set up the players on the field and the bowler figurine had an arm up in the air in which you placed a metal ball which would then roll down the arm onto the pitch, and then to the batter. You controlled the batter by hand. There were two versions, one was electronic, and the other was manual scoring.

Another game we had was a horse racing game which had 5 rows in which you placed plastic horses into a groove. The horses were different colours. To race them you pressed a button, which then, quite noisely, sent the horses off down the straight track. Usually the horse on the far left hand side would always win. I think it took batteries.

They are the only games I was allowed to play, because I hated to lose when I was little and would scrunch the Monopoly money up if I lost, and Operation would frustrate me too much.

Alright Now

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/04 at 5:58 am

Battleship.

Written By: boardgameguy on 12/13/04 at 2:44 pm

My older brothers and I always had a lot of board games before video games took over...

Some of my favs...  Prize Property (Where you had to build all your buildings before everyone else)
                            Tank Battle (recently has been updated and remade)
                            Carrier Strike (Also remade last year called Mission Command Sea Battle)
                The Inventors (Really cool game with "actual" goofy inventions from the early days"
              Survive (Not Based on the t.v. reality show, but a game where everyone tries to get of off this island before it explodes!)
            How about "Dark Tower"!!!  I think this game was 80's, but the BEST electronic board game!!!  Along with "Stop Thief" and "Lost Treasure"...
            The Dark Shadows game (Very basic gameplay like candyland.... but extremely cool and extra large paper board to move on...)
              oh yea.... "King Oil" is definately a 70's classic all the way!!

Written By: boardgameguy on 12/13/04 at 2:56 pm

Just wanted to add...

Hasbro remade three of my favorite board games last year (2003)

They were Tank Battle (Remade as Mission Command "Land")
                      Carrier Strike (Remade as Mission Command "Sea")
                      Screamin' Eagles (Remade as Mission Command "Air")

I've seen some of these still available at my local Toy's R Us, but I'm guessing Hasbro only produced them in 2003...

If you've never played any of these games, I highly recommend them!!  Obviously they're all military based games....  but the remakes take the original games and improve upon some things... the people at Hasbro really did a nice job, but the funny thing was that they didn't refer to the original games at all in the new ones... so if you weren't familiar with the originals you would just think that these were brand new games??!!  wierd...

Written By: boardgameguy on 12/13/04 at 3:10 pm

And yes, Clue and Risk were always classic's but have you ever played...

Clue "Master Detective" where there are more rooms, more people, more weapons, just a lot more, I guess you could say...

And anyone who loves the game of Risk should try "Conquest of the Empire"!!

It's a game based on the Roman times...  Everyone has there own Ceaser and six Generals to lead the various combat units in the game...  Infantry, Calvary, and the big one... "CATAPULTS"!!!

It's actually very similiar to Risk, but you don't have to conquer ever piece of land, just kill off every opponents Ceasar...

Conquest of the Empire was part of a series of games by Milton Bradley that also included

Axis and Allies
    Fortress America
    and Broadsides and Boarding parties ( A very cool ship to ship pirate game)

Written By: boardgameguy on 12/17/04 at 1:05 pm

I know this game wasn't from the 70's, but I just wanted to know if anyone has tried that new game "HeroScape" by Milton Bradley??

Looks interesting... anyone played it yet?

Written By: Zella on 12/18/04 at 2:29 pm

Almost forgot:

Kingmaker! (or as my friend and I renamed it: "The Medieval Game from Hell") ;D

Written By: Zella on 12/18/04 at 2:58 pm

My Christmas present to myself arrived yesterday!  :D

Written By: moonlightmaiden on 12/19/04 at 11:57 pm

I think we had and played almost every game that was out at the time. Some of my old (and current favorites): Boggle, Scrabbble and Mastermind.

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 12/20/04 at 8:28 am

I'd have to say "Stop Thief" was my favorite...in the late 70s electronic games were just starting to come out,so Stop Thief seemed out of this world at the time..

A game that I havent seen mentioned on here that was huge in the 70s is "Payday"...anyone remember that one?

Although not a boardgame,but does anyone remember a game that came out in the early 70s called Buckaroo?

Written By: karen on 12/21/04 at 5:04 am

Although not a boardgame,but does anyone remember a game that came out in the early 70s called Buckaroo?

You mean this one?  (Although this might be the updated version, wasn't the horse originally white?)

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 12/21/04 at 6:18 am

Hey Karen,that would be the one..and yes,the one I remember was white.. :)

Written By: karen on 12/21/04 at 10:44 am

Hey Karen,that would be the one..and yes,the one I remember was white.. :)

I thought about buying this for my daughter for Chirstmas, but I bought her Kerplunk instead!

Written By: az kat on 01/21/05 at 1:05 pm

A game my sister and I liked I think was called Who's It. It had real faces all around the board and you had a card with one face. Others asked questions like are you wearing jewelry or are you male or female to try and guess what card each person had. One particular face really annoyed both of us - Stunt Man. Eventually we tore him up and for years to come, we'd get a good laugh at the mere mention of Stunt Man.  I found the game last year on eBay. It was funny to see ol' Stunt Man's face again. He's still annoying! :)

Check for new replies or respond here...