inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70's Instrumentals

Written By: mandamoo on 08/02/04 at 6:21 am

"Music Box Dancer" here. Tying for second place....for sentimental reasons I might add, are "The Hustle", "Rock and Roll Part 2" and "Loves Theme"  :)

Subject: Re: 70's Instrumentals

Written By: Paul on 08/02/04 at 6:45 am

Some corkers there, manda, and no mistake...

Any of 'em could've taken it, but I've gone for...

Other: The obscenely funky 'Machine Gun' - Commodores (1974)

And, as a very guilty pleasure, 'Mouldy Old Dough' - Lieutenant Pigeon...!!

Written By: mandamoo on 08/02/04 at 7:37 am

I remember 'Mouldy Old Dough', can't quite remember what year it was though. Good choice Paul ! :) 

I've not heard of the Commodores one...

Written By: jaytee on 08/02/04 at 9:32 am

Yeh me too.  We even learnt a jazz ballet routine to the tune - I'd say it was around 1972. :o

My choice, however, was Pick Up The Pieces.  I do love the Hustle too.

Written By: Paul on 08/02/04 at 9:37 am

I remember 'Mouldy Old Dough', can't quite remember what year it was though. Good choice Paul ! :) 

Well, we had that in late-1972...very bizarre thing, by a very bizarre-looking group (included a drummer with less hair than me, and some old dear bashing the hell out of a piano, if memory serves...!)

I've not heard of the Commodores one...

Understandable...I think that song only had success here due to blanket play in the discotheques, it never even raised much interest in their homeland...but it's very enjoyable - makes a change from the ballads...

Written By: karen on 08/02/04 at 10:06 am

Well, we had that in late-1972...very bizarre thing, by a very bizarre-looking group (included a drummer with less hair than me, and some old dear bashing the hell out of a piano, if memory serves...!)

Mrs Mills I believe who was relatively 'famous' as a younger woman playing the piano on the wireless.  Hence (assuming everyone plays this drinking game in the same way) the Mrs Mills command in Commander Pimley

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/02/04 at 12:10 pm

I chose "Pick Up The Pieces" (AWB)...an all-time favorite of mine!  8)

I also like "The Hustle" a lot, as well as "Music Box Dancer".  BTW, Manda, I believe that one was done by Frank Mills (from 1979)...at least here in the U.S.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/02/04 at 4:41 pm

Oh, you could only pick one.  I went with Van McCoy, "The Hustle," very camp, and I like the melody.  I would have gone with Weissberg and Mandel, "Dueling Banjos."  I just saw "Deliverance" on TV the other night.  They did quite a bit of editing to the "Squeal like a pig" scene.  According to IMBD, Ned Beatty still won't talk about it!
Anyway, Weissberg & Mandel ripped off the tune "Dueling Banjos" from a '50s tune called "Feudin' Banjos" by Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith.  When the film came out, Smith sued and won royalties.
Billy Redden, who played Lonny, was a genuine local.  Director John Boorman picked him 'cuz he had the right look.  However, Redden isn't retarded and he can't play the banjo either.  Tim Burton tracked him down for the film "Big Fish."  He works in a cafe called "The Cookie Jar."  Redden is not only a short order cook and dishwasher, he's alos co-owner of the place.  People STILL know him as the Banjo Kid.  With the release of Burton's film, his celebrity gained a big upsurge and now people flock to the "Cookie Jar" just to see him.  Great for business.  Sometimes traffic backs up on that county road.
Redden says he has good memories of Voight, Beatty, and Cox, but that Reynolds was a condescending pr*ck.

Written By: Howard on 08/02/04 at 8:37 pm

Satin Soul Love Unlimited Orchestra

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 08/02/04 at 8:41 pm

For the ones you listed to vote on I think the best are
1.The Hustle - Van McCoy
2.Hocus Pocus - Focus

But you also missed some "other" good ones...

Breezin' - George Benson
Nadia`s Theme (The Young And The Restless) - DeVorzon & Botkin (There ya go, RnR  ;) ) 
Cafe Reggio's - Isaac Hayes (Shaft movie)
Angela - Bob James (theme from "Taxi" television show)
Autobahn - Kraftwerk (I guess this one can be considered an instrumental?)
My Name is Nobody - Ennio Morricone (My Name is Nobody movie)
Cavatina - Stanley Myers (The Deer Hunter movie)
Voyager - The Alan Parsons Project
Breathless - Todd Rundgren
Snowflakes Are Dancing - Tomita

(I love a good instrumental song)
:)

Written By: Howard on 08/02/04 at 8:50 pm

Theme From Rocky-(Gonna Fly Now)

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/02/04 at 9:36 pm

"Technically" a few were NOT instrumentals....The Hustle "Do The Hustle"....Pick Up The Pieces.."Pick Up The Pieces" and Rocky "Gonna Fly Now, Flying High Now"....so I went with Love Unlimited Orchestra :)

Written By: zcrito on 08/02/04 at 11:45 pm

Theme From Rocky-(Gonna Fly Now)

Howard

Good one, Howard! I forgot all about that one.  ;)

I'm not sure if it's considered a 100% instrumental but then what determines whether a song is an instrumental or not? No vocals at all?

Written By: Bobby on 08/03/04 at 5:57 am

'Mouldy Old Dough' is one of my favourite instrumentals as well, Paul. The marching beat combined with what sounded like a Honky Tonk Piano was quite mind-blowing when I first heard it on my Dad's vinyl (I was about 6 or 7 years old). To cap it all off, the lead singer growls the title - I have no idea what the song was all about though.

Written By: Paul on 08/03/04 at 7:03 am

'Mouldy Old Dough' is one of my favourite instrumentals as well, Paul. The marching beat combined with what sounded like a Honky Tonk Piano was quite mind-blowing when I first heard it on my Dad's vinyl (I was about 6 or 7 years old). To cap it all off, the lead singer growls the title - I have no idea what the song was all about though.

According to the wonderfully-named Staveley Makepiece (the aforementioned balding drummer), the title was a mick-take of 'Vo-de-oh-doh', a phrase which singers would use at the dawn of the last century (via a megaphone - there were no microphones back then...), which can also be heard to some effect on 'Winchester Cathedral'...

As I've said, a bizarre thing which just caught Joe Public's imagination at the time...

Written By: Howard on 08/03/04 at 10:10 am

Good one, Howard! I forgot all about that one.  ;)

I'm not sure if it's considered a 100% instrumental but then what determines whether a song is an instrumental or not? No vocals at all?

Well,you have that chorus singing "Gonna Fly Now" so I myself don't think it's instrumental. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 08/03/04 at 10:12 am

KC And The Sunshine Band's:

"Shotgun Shuffle"
"Rock Your Baby"
"Black Water Gold"

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/03/04 at 12:16 pm

"Technically" a few were NOT instrumentals....The Hustle "Do The Hustle"....Pick Up The Pieces.."Pick Up The Pieces" and Rocky "Gonna Fly Now, Flying High Now"....so I went with Love Unlimited Orchestra :)

I have the same gripe about "instrumentals."  Like when you'd buy a remix single, and a track would be titled "Instrumental Mix," but all it meant was the main vocal track was cut out and the chorus was left in!
::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/03/04 at 4:38 pm

I have the same gripe about "instrumentals."  Like when you'd buy a remix single, and a track would be titled "Instrumental Mix," but all it meant was the main vocal track was cut out and the chorus was left in!
::)
Yeah, that definately sucks ::) :P

Written By: Davester on 08/03/04 at 6:24 pm

Music Box Dancer is a beautiful instrumental.  Wasn't this a Frank Mills song?

There's also a guitar/piano medley that takes up the last third-or-so of Clapton's Layla (performed by Derek And The Dominoes) that might qualify for an instrumantal of the 70's.

Written By: Koop on 08/03/04 at 10:22 pm

'Other' and my pick is Jessica by the Allman Brothers Band

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/03/04 at 10:56 pm

Music Box Dancer is a beautiful instrumental.  Wasn't this a Frank Mills song?

There's also a guitar/piano medley that takes up the last third-or-so of Clapton's Layla (performed by Derek And The Dominoes) that might qualify for an instrumantal of the 70's.
It was indeed Frank Mills..and as for the Derek & The Domino's song....the instumental part was done the drummer named Jim Gordon..who showed up on his mothers door-step in 1983, with a sledge-hammer in tow, and killed her...he's now in prison and Clapton has expressed anger over the sentence because he says that Gordon was on drugs when he di the crime.......

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/03/04 at 11:00 pm

"The Hustle"  :)

follwed by :

"Rise"-Herb Alpert
"Feels So Good"-Chuck Mangione
"Tequila"
"Theme From S.W.A.T."

...with an honourable mention for "Popcorn" by Hot Butter(we used to shake a parachute with balls on it while listening to this in gym class when I was little)

Written By: mandamoo on 08/04/04 at 4:57 am

BTW, Manda, I believe that one was done by Frank Mills (from 1979)...at least here in the U.S.  :)

:-[ :-[ :-[

It was Frank Mills here too Karen.  I need a holiday I think. Thanks for that, I have rectified. ;) :) .

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/04/04 at 8:17 am

Dueling Banjos - Eric Weissberg & Steve Mandel

Though, Music Box Dancer was pretty close  :)

Written By: karen on 08/04/04 at 8:58 am

OOh good call Koop.  I like that one.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/04/04 at 11:47 am

Pick up the Pieces and in honor of my Philadelphia roots - TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia)

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 08/04/04 at 8:16 pm

Herb Alpert-Rise
Rock Your Baby
Popcorn-Hot Butter

Howard

Written By: karen on 08/05/04 at 4:21 am

...with an honourable mention for "Popcorn" by Hot Butter(we used to shake a parachute with balls on it while listening to this in gym class when I was little)

heh heh.  I can still remember doing some weird dance thing to this in 'Music and Movement' class.  And Graham Bates doing some Northern Soul dance moves his elder brother had taught him..

Written By: zcrito on 08/14/04 at 2:46 pm

Looks like we missed a good one. I heard it on the radio last night buuuuuttt...

I don't remember the name of it. It's by Electric Light Orchestra and it's the one played on the classic rock stations all the time - acoustic guitar and some choral singing.

Anyone know the name of it?? ???

*** update for 8/15/04: I found it >> "Fire on High" (1975).

=======================================
Wow! The ads at the top of this Web page are unreal. Someone mentioned the song "Popcorn" by Hotbutter in one of the replies and now there's an ad for popcorn machines and supplies from concessionstands.com at the top of this Web page. Just a coincidence?  :o
======================================== 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/14/04 at 9:49 pm

GREAT song :)

Written By: Howard on 08/15/04 at 9:50 am

Shotgun Shuffle
Black Water Gold
Rock Your Baby

All By KC And The Sunshine Band. :)

Howard

Written By: Lanie on 08/15/04 at 6:14 pm

"Rise" - Herb Alpert but I also like "Feels So Good"- Chuck Mangione.

Written By: Howard on 08/16/04 at 9:06 pm

Bazuka-Dynomite.

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 08/18/04 at 9:56 am

According to the wonderfully-named Staveley Makepiece (the aforementioned balding drummer), the title was a mick-take of 'Vo-de-oh-doh', a phrase which singers would use at the dawn of the last century (via a megaphone - there were no microphones back then...), which can also be heard to some effect on 'Winchester Cathedral'...

As I've said, a bizarre thing which just caught Joe Public's imagination at the time...

I am impressed. Another lovely piece of info, Paul.  :)

I don't know whether it has been mentioned already but I also love 'Eye Level' by Simon Park Orchestra - otherwise known as the theme for Van Der Valk.

Written By: mandamoo on 08/18/04 at 11:38 pm

I don't know whether it has been mentioned already but I also love 'Eye Level' by Simon Park Orchestra - otherwise known as the theme for Van Der Valk.

Rats ! How did I miss that one ?  Good one Bobby :D

Written By: zigyyusmc on 08/19/04 at 12:19 pm

I chose "other"
How about "Feels so Good" by Chuck Mangione

Written By: zcrito on 09/03/04 at 8:21 am

I thought of 3 more from the '70s...

Spyro Gyra's

Shaker Song & Morning Dance

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?userid=5r0Wkty9nZ&ean=51617550129

Ramsey Lewis' Sun Goddess

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?userid=Ch2ub1z954&ean=74643319423

Do they sound familiar?
:)

Written By: Naschkater on 09/05/04 at 4:51 am

Other:

Actually all the instrumental pieces by David Bowie done in the Berlin Trilogy.

Written By: Bobby on 09/06/04 at 7:17 pm

I've just heard 'Music Box Dancer' by Frank Mills for the first time. It's recently been on an advert in Britain but I've forgotten which one. I knew I recognised it.

Written By: music_2000 on 09/07/04 at 12:03 am

what about popcorn by hot butter thats my fav instrumental of all time

Written By: Howard on 09/07/04 at 5:50 pm

The Salsoul Music Orchestra
Feels So Good-Chuck Mangione
Breezin-George Benson

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 09/08/04 at 1:22 pm

Other:

Actually all the instrumental pieces by David Bowie done in the Berlin Trilogy.

Now that really ticks me off. When DB was coming out with some really interesting stuff in the late '70s, I was only listening to his "old" stuff. I missed out and I think I really would have liked it. Stupid radio stations.

Anyway....
another '70s instrumental that I just thought of: War's "City, Country, City".  :)

Written By: Howard on 09/08/04 at 6:49 pm

Brothers Johnson-Tokyo
Brothers Johnson-"Q"

Howard

Written By: Keet on 10/12/05 at 12:42 am

Along with Hocus Pocus and Joy, I also like Popcorn, Theme from Rocky and the Overture from Tommy.  Just found a 45rpm with Popcorn on it.  YES!!!!

Written By: Zella on 10/12/05 at 1:42 am

I went with Rock and Roll part 2

The only instrumentals I ever bought on 45s were Quentin's Theme, Jessica (Allman Bros) and Also Sprach Zarathustra.

Written By: Banks on 11/25/05 at 3:23 am

I chose The Hustle...Followed closely by Duelling Banjos

AN

Written By: Mushroom on 11/25/05 at 10:00 am

And yet, some of the best from the era are not even there.

What about "Theme From The Young And The Restless"?  Often called "Nadia's Theme", because it was what Nadia Comaneci was doing her floor exercise to when she got the first "perfect score" in Olympic Women's Gymnastics.

Then there were 2 by Meco.  He did "disco" versions of both "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind", and "Star Wars".  Both were very popular at the time.

Then there is also "Popcorn", by a group called "Hot Butter".

And there were a lot by a Japanese artist called Tomita.

The Allman Brothers had a huge hit with "Jessica".  And Eric Johnson had a huge hit with "Cliffs Of Dover".

Written By: nally on 11/26/05 at 8:00 pm

"Entertainer" - Marvin Hamlisch.

There are some instrumentals I know when I hear them, but can't place the title or artist of them. They may be on this list or not; I'm not sure. :-\\

Written By: Banks on 12/18/05 at 3:09 am

Another one I was listening to today is 'Eve Of The War' from Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds album. 

Im not sure if it technically counts as an instrumental because, as a single, it was cut to include the lyrics "The chances of anything coming from Mars Are a Million to one he said, Yes the chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one...But still they come!!!" Yet, the album version has no vocals until after the first few peices of dialogue, after which the Eve Of The War takes up again with the lyrics Ive already recited.

AN

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/05 at 5:15 am

From the given list, Duelling Banjos.

Written By: Tia on 12/18/05 at 10:26 am

hocus pocus kicks. and it dares to be goofy as hell, too. i appreciate that.

a lot of these songs i don't know by name, though.

Written By: Tia on 12/18/05 at 10:28 am

what about that disco version of thus spake zarathustra?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/18/05 at 10:29 am

what about that disco version of thus spake zarathustra?
Do you mean the version by Philharmonia Orchestra with the conductor Lorin Maazel?

Written By: K-Bee on 04/05/07 at 12:50 am

Do you mean the version by Philharmonia Orchestra with the conductor Lorin Maazel?

Or maybe Deodato's version from all the way back in 1972? Apart from the Strauss original, Deodato's take on "Also Sprach Zarathustra" is arguably the most famous one. It was a top 10 hit and  earned him a grammy too!

Written By: Snoopygirl on 04/06/07 at 10:00 pm

Machine Gun by The Commodores
That song rocked :)

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/07 at 12:23 am

From the list, I like 'Dymonite' by Tony Camillos Bazuka and 'Music Box Dancer' by Frank Mills

As for others, I very much enjoy ...

The Homecoming - Hagood Hardy
Bongo Rock - Incredible Bongo Band

Written By: KKay on 06/01/07 at 4:48 pm

I like Love's theme and Frankenstein

Written By: RobertK on 06/10/07 at 10:11 am

I chose Love's Theme.  I also like Theme From S.W.A.T. by Rhythm Heritage.  Both songs make use of the wacka-chaka sound that is very 70s.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/10/07 at 11:54 am

I chose Love's Theme.   I also like Theme From S.W.A.T. by Rhythm Heritage.  Both songs make use of the wacka-chaka sound that is very 70s.

I loved both of those!  8)

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 06/13/07 at 4:33 pm

I like The Hustle.

Written By: justpoppedin on 02/08/08 at 3:01 pm

Another very good one is Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, also known as the theme from The Exorcist.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/08 at 3:09 pm

Another very good one is Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, also known as the theme from The Exorcist.
Only the beginning of the album was used for The Exorcist. I used to do my homework to Tubular Bells before the scariness of the music was realised of the release of the film.

Written By: Dude111 on 05/01/08 at 4:37 pm

Music box dancer is awesome :)

Written By: midnite on 05/01/08 at 5:57 pm

Lots of love for Love's Theme by Love Unlimited Orchestra

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/01/08 at 8:09 pm

this "rare" instrumental song goes for 10 minutes & 47 seconds, which really isn't that long for this band. their live version of (I Know) I'm Losing You is over 14 min long and the live version of Get Ready is over 23 minutes.  the band is Rare Earth, the song is *Thoughts* and it's great. it's on the album Rare Earth In Concert, one of my fav albums of all time. only 8 songs, and every one of them a great rock song.  when i get home, I'll try to find a video of Thoughts

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/08 at 8:41 pm

From the list, I like 'Dymonite' by Tony Camillos Bazuka and 'Music Box Dancer' by Frank Mills

As for others, I very much enjoy ...

The Homecoming - Hagood Hardy
Bongo Rock - Incredible Bongo Band

To update this, I also like 'Mouldy Old Dough' by Lieutenant Pigeon and 'Theme From S.W.A.T.' by THP Orchestra

Written By: ninny on 05/01/08 at 9:41 pm

There were all the TV themes-SWAT,Rockford Files,Sanford & Son
Frankenstein-Edger Winter Group
Funeral For a Friend-Elton John
TSOP- MFSB
Feels So Good - Chuck Mangione
Also Sprach Zarathustra

Written By: cooper street relic on 05/01/08 at 11:29 pm

I don't know if they have been mentioned but two of my fav's were

Groovy grubworm by Harlow Wilcox
Bongo Rock by the Incredible Bongo band....however all of the mentioned ones are great.

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/08 at 11:33 pm

Bongo Rock by the Incredible Bongo band....however all of the mentioned ones are great.

I mentioned that one.  I'm surprised someone else knows of it :o

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/02/08 at 7:57 am

I also want to let you know that Paul McCartney made a few Instrumentals in the 70's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/02/08 at 9:46 am

I also want to let you know that Paul McCartney made a few Instrumentals in the 70's.
What were the titles?

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/02/08 at 10:59 am

What were the titles?

"Singalong Junk"
"Valentines Day"
"Hot as Sun/Glasses"
"Loup (1st Indian on the Moon)"

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/02/08 at 11:52 am

"Singalong Junk"
"Valentines Day"
"Hot as Sun/Glasses"
"Loup (1st Indian on the Moon)"
Thanks.

Written By: cooper street relic on 05/02/08 at 10:24 pm

I mentioned that one.  I'm surprised someone else knows of it :o

That's because we are both Canadian!  We are always a little different in our music tastes.  How else do you explain Max Webster and Zon!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/08 at 11:57 am

Emerson, Lake And Palmer ?

Written By: cooper street relic on 05/03/08 at 9:49 pm

this "rare" instrumental song goes for 10 minutes & 47 seconds, which really isn't that long for this band. their live version of (I Know) I'm Losing You is over 14 min long and the live version of Get Ready is over 23 minutes.  the band is Rare Earth, the song is *Thoughts* and it's great. it's on the album Rare Earth In Concert, one of my fav albums of all time. only 8 songs, and every one of them a great rock song.  when i get home, I'll try to find a video of Thoughts

Good choice, an excellent song and you are right about Rare Earth. Sadly ignored by the so called "Classic Rock" stations today. I still listen to Get ready and Iron Butterflys long version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.  God i need a life!!! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: mandamoo on 05/04/08 at 1:59 am

Emerson, Lake And Palmer ?

"Fanfare for the Common Man" - great tune!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/08 at 2:58 pm

Mike Oldfield ?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/05/08 at 5:46 pm

Good choice, an excellent song and you are right about Rare Earth. Sadly ignored by the so called "Classic Rock" stations today. I still listen to Get ready and Iron Butterflys long version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.  God i need a life!!! ;D ;D ;D
thanks, it's nice to see someone familair with that record. I played that CD on the way home form San Jose last night. my only copy of  In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is on cassette, and that cassette is in my car right now.  and there's nothing wrong with listening to these old gold classics. they're great.  this is your life and honestly, listening to good music is a good life.  :)

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/07/08 at 8:46 pm

My 70's instrumental favorites:

Pickin' Up The Pieces - Average White Band
A Fifth Of Beethoven - Walter Murphy
The Hustle - Van McCoy
Loves Theme -  Love Unlimited Orchestra

Written By: nally on 07/28/08 at 10:33 pm

For starters I would pick "Dueling Banjos"...

Written By: midnite on 07/29/08 at 7:50 pm

When I was a kid, though years after its 1977 release, I loved Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good." 

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/08 at 11:37 pm

Mike Oldfield ?

In Dulce Jubilo, one of my all-time favourite Christmas songs 8)

Written By: Davester on 07/30/08 at 12:05 am

For starters I would pick "Dueling Banjos"...

We re-quire ya gitcha %&*$@??!!&* ass up in them woods...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/30/08 at 1:49 pm

Too many good ones!  Perhaps my top 10 (though there could be others):

> Machine Gun - Commodores
> Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band
> Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group
> Scorpio - Dennis Coffey
> Joy - Apollo 100
> Dueling Banjos - Eric Weissberg & Steve Mandel
> Hocus Pocus - Focus
> TSOP - MFSB
> Outta Space - Billy Preston

and the cheesy but fun

> Popcorn - Hot Butter    :D

Written By: midnite on 08/05/08 at 9:13 pm

Too many good ones!  Perhaps my top 10 (though there could be others):

> Machine Gun - Commodores
> Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band
> Frankenstein - Edgar Winter Group
> Scorpio - Dennis Coffey
> Joy - Apollo 100
> Dueling Banjos - Eric Weissberg & Steve Mandel
> Hocus Pocus - Focus
> TSOP - MFSB
> Outta Space - Billy Preston

and the cheesy but fun

> Popcorn - Hot Butter    :D

Half of these I dont know.  Will check them out.  The Sound of Philadelphia is good.  Wink Wink.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/13 at 6:40 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne6J3MmTlBs

Shotgun Shuffle-KC & The Sunshine Band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUglr62TJG4

Midnight Groove-Love Unlimited Orchestra

Written By: warped on 09/02/13 at 6:47 am

Emerson, Lake & Palmer ~ Fanfare for the Common Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyJBNZ4i4Yc

Pink Floyd ~ the great gig in the sky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeWavBBeVmE

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/13 at 8:33 am

Alot of great 70s instrumentals were found in the Adult Contemporary charts ...

Hagood Hardy - Maybe Tomorrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8KzpmFDPFc

Jean Claude Borelly - Dolannes Melodie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qR3jHJws3s

Hagood Hardy - Jennifer's Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89KY-8Y6vK0

Written By: Mushroom on 09/02/13 at 11:02 am

Thought I would start at the beginning, and saw this one I missed somehow.  And I think I know the song that is being asked about.

Looks like we missed a good one. I heard it on the radio last night buuuuuttt...

I don't remember the name of it. It's by Electric Light Orchestra and it's the one played on the classic rock stations all the time - acoustic guitar and some choral singing.

Anyone know the name of it?? ???

I think this is one of my all-time favorites, "Fire On High".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewaz0Fzewns

And here is another that somehow was forgotten, Journey of the Sorcerer, by The Eagles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rOMGIbY-9s

This is mostly known as the "Theme to Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy".

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/13 at 12:33 pm

Mike Oldfield ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1PH_Y8Xn4g

Written By: warped on 09/02/13 at 2:51 pm

Genesis ~ Los Endos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EWa_yV1JDE

Written By: Howard on 09/02/13 at 6:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSbsnIOi2W4

Rhythm Heritage-Theme from S.W.A.T

Written By: Katluver on 09/02/13 at 10:19 pm

There are too many great songs on the poll!
I decided to pick Apollo's "Joy" with Herb Alpert's "Rise" being a very close second.

Written By: Howard on 09/03/13 at 6:27 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX8DcvFXzsY

Black Water Gold- KC & The Sunshine Band

Written By: warped on 09/04/13 at 5:48 am

Andre Gagnon ~ "Ta Samba"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5K3zYv1uOc

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/24/13 at 3:49 am

a lovely little 70's instrumental tune by Black Sabbath called Laguna Sunrise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rECBa0c8OR4

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/01/14 at 10:24 pm

War - The World Is A Ghetto (Instrumental Version) (1979)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvnA56DtDw

Written By: Claybricks on 06/08/14 at 4:04 pm

cOaAZlrt6II

Stanley Clarke - Rock 'N' Roll Jelly {1978}

Dan

Check for new replies or respond here...