inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: School House Rock

Written By: gemini61 on 08/04/04 at 6:28 pm

What's your favorite Schoolhouse Rock tune? According to the 30th Anniversary DVD, these are the Top 10 All Time Favorites. Since they started in 1972, I decided to put this poll in the 70s. But, I didn't realize they went all the way until 1986! Oh, and my favorites are "Interjections", "I'm Just a Bill" and "Three is a Magic Number" :D (By the way, I guess I'm just a kid at heart!!)  ;)

Subject: Re: School House Rock

Written By: Dagwood on 08/04/04 at 7:25 pm

I went with I'm Just A Bill, but I love them all.

Written By: Koop on 08/04/04 at 9:46 pm

My all time favorite was Verb! That's What's Happening....but out of the ones listed, I picked I'm Just a Bill and Interjections.

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/05/04 at 3:06 am

"Interjections"(WOW!! :o)
"Unpack Your Adjectives"(..he was a hairy bear,he was a scary bear..)
"Conjunction Junction"(..hooking up words and phrases and clauses..)

love school house rock..may have contributed to my love of grammar(grammarqueen is my alter ego  ;))
i have the vhs copy and the cd(which isn't that great)

Written By: gemini61 on 08/05/04 at 7:48 am

"Interjections"(WOW!! :o)
"Unpack Your Adjectives"(..he was a hairy bear,he was a scary bear..)
"Conjunction Junction"(..hooking up words and phrases and clauses..)

love school house rock..may have contributed to my love of grammar(grammarqueen is my alter ego  ;))
i have the vhs copy and the cd(which isn't that great)

We have the DVD, and when we watch "Interjections", my girls crack up because when the lady says "WOW", they say, that's you mom! ;D Oh, and my girls aren't little, one's a teen and the other is 21, so I guess not just kids like Schoolhouse Rock!!  :)

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/05/04 at 11:51 am

We have the DVD, and when we watch "Interjections", my girls crack up because when the lady says "WOW", they say, that's you mom! ;D

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/05/04 at 3:24 pm

My all-time favorite is Interjections! I also picked the Preamble and (of course) I'm Just a Bill.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/05/04 at 7:00 pm

It has to be "Conjunction Junction, what's your function?"  :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/06/04 at 12:37 am

I loved this show! Though I voted for I'm Just a bill, Lolly...., and Conjunction, I was sadly disappointed that "Unpack your Adjectives" was omitted!!!!!!

Got home from camping last spring.
Saw people, places and things.
We barely had arrived,
Friends asked us to describe
The people, places and every last thing.
So we unpacked our adjectives.

I unpacked "frustrating" first.
Reached in and found the word "worst".
Then I picked "soggy" and
Next I picked "foggy" and
Then I was ready to tell them my tale.
'Cause I'd unpacked my adjectives.

Adjectives are words you use to really describe things,
Handy words to carry around.
Days are sunny or they're rainy
Boys are dumb or else they're brainy
Adjectives can show you which way.

Adjectives are often used to help us compare things,
To say how thin, how fat, how short, how tall.
Girls who are tall can get taller,
Boys who are small can get smaller,
Till one is the tallest
And the other's the smallest of all.

We hiked along without care.
Then we ran into a bear.
He was a hairy bear,
He was a scary bear,
We beat a hasty retreat from his lair.
And described him with adjectives.

}} {Whoah!  Boy, that was one big, ugly bear!}

{You can even make adjectives out of the other parts of speech, like
verbs or nouns.  All you have to do is tack on an ending, like "ic"
or "ish" or "ary".  For example, this boy can grow up to be a huge
man, but still have a boyish face.  "Boy" is a noun, but the ending
"ish" makes it an adjective.  "Boyish": that describes the huge
man's face.  Get it?}

Next time you go on a trip,
Remember this little tip:
The minute you get back,
They'll ask you this and that,
You can describe people, places and things...
Simply unpack your adjectives.
You can do it with adjectives.
Tell them 'bout it with adjectives.
You can shout it with adjectives.

Simply a beautiful, lovely and time-honored song! You can shout with adjectives, ha!

Tanya

Written By: Hairspray on 08/06/04 at 7:27 pm

My absolute favorite:

"Unpack Your Adjectives"

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/31/05 at 5:42 pm

What! Nothing from Multiplication Rock? I liked 'Figure Eight'(8 times table) Elementary My Dear(the 7 times table?) and Naughty Number Nine(the 9's)....

Oh yeah..I Am A Bill is cool
same for Conjunction Junction...

I think some 90's era bands made a compilation CD of Schoolhouse Rock's songs...

Written By: lilleo1968 on 08/09/05 at 6:31 am

Unpack your Adjectives is my Favorite followed by Interjections and,  conjunction junction.
Unpack your Adjectives was kind of violent for an educational cartoon.  That girl stomps that little laughing guy :D

Written By: Paul on 08/09/05 at 6:42 am

Rather strange that we never imported this (we imported near-enough everything else!), so we had to make do with out own 'home-grown' creations...

British readers of a certain age may remember 'You And Me', 'Look And Read', 'Words And Pictures' (can you see a pattern here?) et al...entertaining in their own little way, I suppose - but nothing compared to the above...

One of the few 'educational' imports we did get was 'The Electric Company', but I think it was a bit too over our heads, as it didn't last long in the schedules...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/09/05 at 6:36 pm

Rather strange that we never imported this (we imported near-enough everything else!), so we had to make do with out own 'home-grown' creations...

British readers of a certain age may remember 'You And Me', 'Look And Read', 'Words And Pictures' (can you see a pattern here?) et al...entertaining in their own little way, I suppose - but nothing compared to the above...

One of the few 'educational' imports we did get was 'The Electric Company', but I think it was a bit too over our heads, as it didn't last long in the schedules...
Did you import "Sesame Street" or "The Muppet Show"?

Written By: Paul on 08/10/05 at 5:38 am

Did you import "Sesame Street" or "The Muppet Show"?

Yes, we had those two (who didn't?!!) - very popular they were too...

I can't be 100% sure, but 'The Muppet Show' may have had some British 'involvement' in it...it certainly didn't look like it was imported and it did have British guests from time to time...perhaps it was a different 'Show' altogether...

Written By: karen on 08/10/05 at 10:45 am

I can't be 100% sure, but 'The Muppet Show' may have had some British 'involvement' in it...it certainly didn't look like it was imported and it did have British guests from time to time...perhaps it was a different 'Show' altogether...

It was a British show

"While The Muppet Show was, by all appearances, an American show - the accents, the characters, the majority of the writers - it was, in fact, a British production. The American TV networks were unconvinced that Jim Henson's idea would have any adult appeal and, after ABC aired a single half-hour pilot episode there on 19 March 1975, and NBC failed to realise the possibilities after Henson's Muppets appeared in early editions of Saturday Night Live they passed up the opportunity to produce a series, much to Henson's frustration. It was then that the British impresario Sir Lew Grade, the chairman of ATV, stepped in. "

from somewhere on the BBC site.  Found it by googling "muppet show" and clicking 'pages from the UK'

Check for new replies or respond here...