inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: M*A*S*H....Which "Version" Did YOU like best?!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/02/04 at 9:11 pm

1972-1975...Henry Blake, Trapper, Hawkeye and all the zany guests from Pat Morita, Jack Soo, John Ritter ect.

OR

1976-1983...Col. Potter, The "New" Klinger,Charles, BJ, and all the "seriousness"

AND as a footnote...wasn't it horrible the way they killed off Henry...I mean...let the guy go home and be Lorraine and thier children....I thought that was very cruel of the writers >:(

Subject: Re: M*A*S*H....Which "Version" Did YOU like best?!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/02/04 at 11:00 pm

I think the early seasons were the best!  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/02/04 at 11:48 pm

I like them all, but the later episodes I liked more.

Tanya

Written By: woops on 09/03/04 at 1:12 am

neither 

I prefer mashed potatoes instead.  :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 09/03/04 at 1:32 am

i loved both "eras".  Its one of my all time fave shows full stop.

Written By: mandamoo on 09/03/04 at 6:17 am

Both

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/03/04 at 7:57 am

I chose "1972-1975"

Like most shows (and most bands, for that matter) they seem to start out good and fade slowly away  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/04 at 12:11 pm

Personally, I think the later ones were better. The writers did some serious stuff-but still kept the humor. I think they started giving the characters more depth-especially Margaret (Hotlips). At the beginning, she was just a b!tch having an affair with Frank. But in the later years, you discovered that she was a human under all her insecurities. Charles also was a human under his pompus attitude. (Frank never really showed any signs of being human). There were many faucets to each of the characters. They all had their own little quirks, their fears, and their loves.

As for them killing off Henry-Yes, RRF, that did seem kind of cruel of the writers to do that but what they wanted to show is that not everyone returned home. They really wanted to show the realities of war.

I think this was the best show EVER-it was very realistic and very HUMAN!

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/03/04 at 2:18 pm

Personally, I think the later ones were better. The writers did some serious stuff-but still kept the humor. I think they started giving the characters more depth-especially Margaret (Hotlips). At the beginning, she was just a b!tch having an affair with Frank. But in the later years, you discovered that she was a human under all her insecurities. Charles also was a human under his pompus attitude. (Frank never really showed any signs of being human). There were many faucets to each of the characters. They all had their own little quirks, their fears, and their loves.

As for them killing off Henry-Yes, RRF, that did seem kind of cruel of the writers to do that but what they wanted to show is that not everyone returned home. They really wanted to show the realities of war.

I think this was the best show EVER-it was very realistic and very HUMAN!

Cat
I completely agree with you as far as the show growing and the chartacters getting more depth....it's just that I enjoyed the simpler "Slap-stick" comedy from the early days. That does not by any means, mean that I wasn't touched by the later years shows. As for Henry...I personally hated that they killed him...and I heard the late-great McLean Stevenson didn't like it either...at the time he was involved in a contract dispute and the powers that be fired him and decided to kill him off.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/03/04 at 7:17 pm

I went with the early years.  I loved Henry Blake...and was angry at the way he left the show.  I still bawl like a baby when I see that episode. 

I like Margaret's character from the later years, though.  She was more human.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/03/04 at 7:31 pm

I went with the early years.  I loved Henry Blake...and was angry at the way he left the show.  I still bawl like a baby when I see that episode. 

I like Margaret's character from the later years, though.  She was more human.
I always cry to....lately though, I turn off the tv after he takes off in the helicopter and just leave it at that....kinda wish the writers would've had the decency to have him go out that way as well ::)

As for Margaret....I liked her better later also :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/03/04 at 7:57 pm

I prefer the later episodes... Frank never grew as a character (which is the reason he left).  I always prefered Charles, because he learned the most when he was there.  Some of the episodes in the later seasons weren't as good, but they certainly had an excellent final season.  There wasn't enough Sidney Freedman espidoes was my only complaint.

Henry's death earned him an Emmy, which I think was the only one he ever earned.  But I bet a quick IMDB lookup would confirm/dispell that.

Written By: gemini61 on 09/03/04 at 8:57 pm

I chose both. I liked the show from the beginning  :)  to the end  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/04/04 at 11:18 am

I prefer the later episodes... Frank never grew as a character (which is the reason he left).  I always prefered Charles, because he learned the most when he was there.  Some of the episodes in the later seasons weren't as good, but they certainly had an excellent final season.  There wasn't enough Sidney Freedman espidoes was my only complaint.

Henry's death earned him an Emmy, which I think was the only one he ever earned.  But I bet a quick IMDB lookup would confirm/dispell that.

I agree with you on Sidney. He was a great character but, like you said, wasn't used enough. But always remember what he said, "Pulll your pants down and slide on the ice".  ;)

Cat

Written By: Davester on 09/04/04 at 1:42 pm

I think Wayne Rogers really gave Alan Alda a run for his money in the slaptick, off-the-cuff humor department, which is what made M*A*S*H some great viewing.  Mike Farrell's delivery left me wanting...the big, conscientious lug...

Things get less slapstick and more sentimental and ironic in later years; probably when Alda took over much of the directing and some of the writing.

Written By: zcrito on 09/04/04 at 3:46 pm

Both. I liked all years.

I always felt the television show was infinitely better than the movie. It's not often where the television show is better than the movie it was based on.

:)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/04 at 2:30 pm

I always felt the television show was infinitely better than the movie. It's not often where the television show is better than the movie it was based on.

:)

I agree with you there. The movie kind of faded half way through. I think it had to do with the writing. In terms of the series, it was the writing that made it the success it was (not to mention the acting).

Cat

Written By: Koop on 09/06/04 at 2:23 pm

The early years....when it was still a comedy and when Trapper John and Henry Blake were still on.  I didn't like the more "dramatic" era.

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/11/04 at 3:25 pm

...wasn't it horrible the way they killed off Henry...I mean...let the guy go home and be Lorraine and thier children....I thought that was very cruel of the writers >:(

I think MASH's peak years began when BJ & Col. Potter came in, and ended not long after Radar went home. The Henry years are often too frustrating to watch with him floundering as a leader, Trapper usually being a carbon copy of Hawkeye, and Hot Lips being written as nothing but Frank's personal whore! Personally, I would much rather have seen that Nazi butcher Frank killed off than Henry  >:(.

BJ, OTOH, was different then Hawkeye, which kept him from being a redundancy, and people could relate to him. Charles was better than Frank(not just in the OR) because rather than go crying to the Colonel everytime a prank was played on him, he usually pranked right back, proving that it may have been Hawkeye/Trapper/BJ's game, but Charles could play it just as well. :D Col. Potter had far more personality than Col. Blake, which made him more interesting, and he had far more funny moments(like painting the only thing in camp he hadn't, his own thumb!). And at least Hot Lips got more of a personality after the personnell shakeup. I wonder if, when Hawk yanked her appendix, he sewed up the hole in her back where Frank would reach in and make her talk for him! Sadly, she only got less abusive to her nurses very late in the show's run.

Sidney was a great character but wasn't used enough. But always remember what he said, "Pulll down your pants and slide on the ice". ;
Cat

Also true, Sidney was a terrific character. "Dear Sigmund" and "War Of Nerves" are both classic episodes featuring the Sultan of Psychoses. OTOH, there was one recurring character I would've liked to have seen traded to North Korea permanently! Col. Flagg! I'm sorry, but you can't defend democracy by keeping it from being practiced. It ain't gonna go bad! I shudder to think how many innocent people he murdered or imprisoned in the name of Joe McCarthyism! I particularly liked watching stuffy/silly Charles get the best of him!

OK, didn't mean to write an essay, but I've been watching a long time and I had a lot of views I finally got to air. Can't wait to hear more opinions.

"See you in the funny papers!"  ;)
--Trapper John, M.D.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/11/04 at 10:57 pm

The early years....when it was still a comedy and when Trapper John and Henry Blake were still on.  I didn't like the more "dramatic" era.
THAT is exactly what I mean! Don't get me wrong, both era's were great BUT they were like two separate shows....I just happen to prefer laughter over crying :)

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/12/04 at 2:19 am

1972-1975...Henry Blake, Trapper, Hawkeye and all the zany guests from Pat Morita, Jack Soo, John Ritter ect. Hands down.

The show was edgier, and just funnier. This happens often, an edgy show comes on, gets popular, then tones down.

Written By: DJJohnnyG on 09/12/04 at 7:51 pm

I did really like the early episodes where it was Hawk and Trap vs. Frank and Margaret.  It was sooo funny to do things to Frank and watch his reactions.

The series started to slip a little when BJ came on board, (Tho I liked him a lot) and Hawkeye got more preachy about life.

But overall, I'd watch any episode from start to finish everyday if I could.

John

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/13/04 at 9:07 am

Cool....so far comedy beats tears by over a 2 to 1 margin ;D

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/01/04 at 11:37 pm

The entire run of the series was superb.  I prefer the Blake epsiodes over the Potter episodes simply because they captured the essence of the original film better.  It is by a long shot the best series ever created.

As for the McLean Stevenson departure. . .

he left the show to have his own variety series.  It lasted less than a year.  The night after the Henry Blake departure, on the Carol Burnett Show, McLean Stevenson appeared as Henry Blake in a smoking raft, waving his arms, hollering, "I'm OK!" I'm OK!"

So  he really survived. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/01/04 at 11:46 pm

The entire run of the series was superb.  I prefer the Blake epsiodes over the Potter episodes simply because they captured the essence of the original film better.  It is by a long shot the best series ever created.

As for the McLean Stevenson departure. . .

he left the show to have his own variety series.  It lasted less than a year.  The night after the Henry Blake departure, on the Carol Burnett Show, McLean Stevenson appeared as Henry Blake in a smoking raft, waving his arms, hollering, "I'm OK!" I'm OK!"

So  he really survived. ;)

I LOVE it! Thanks, Allie Fox :)

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/02/04 at 3:54 pm

NP ;)

Written By: Banks on 12/02/04 at 4:39 pm

Personally, I liked both.

As far as the death of Henry Blake episode, I think it is one of the best episodes, after the one where Charles, Hawkeye and I think its Honeycutt tear apart the Swamp and the final movie. Why do I think its one of the best....Well, it is one of those episodes that really show the horrors of war and the futility of war. I always remember te looks on their faces when it is announced over the loud speaker that Henry Blake has been killed. Heart wrenching stuff because you got to know and love this guy, and you finally thought he had gotten out of the hell hole intact, only to be sucked back in and destroyed. Its one of the more thought provoking episodes.

Just my opinion

Alright Now

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/23/05 at 8:03 pm

*bump*

Written By: nally on 04/23/05 at 8:05 pm

I'm not much of a fan of that show, but my dad is. But if I were to vote, I'd probably say the earlier version of it.

Written By: jackas on 04/24/05 at 12:40 am

I loved Henry Blake...  I still bawl like a baby when I see that episode. 

OMG...I thougt I was the only one.  ;D

Written By: jackas on 04/24/05 at 12:50 am

I love the entire series, but maybe I liked some of the early characters better.  And I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. :o 

I read something about Col Flag a couple post back.  I loved that guy, what an @ss! ;D  Sidney was great too.  I loved their poker games. ;D

I liked:

Col Blake over Col Potter

Charles over Frank

Trapper over BJ

Klinger over Radar

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/24/05 at 9:21 am

I love the entire series, but maybe I liked some of the early characters better.  And I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before. :o 

I read something about Col Flag a couple post back.  I loved that guy, what an @ss! ;D  Sidney was great too.  I loved their poker games. ;D

Radar: "These sanwiches for anybody?" Sidney: "Anybody with a death wish!"  later Hawkeye: "Okay, nobody move...I think one of the sandwiches just moved!"

Remember that episode...when John Ritter guest starred and  held Frank hostage in the showers?  ;D

Written By: jackas on 04/24/05 at 9:58 am

Radar: "These sanwiches for anybody?" Sidney: "Anybody with a death wish!"  later Hawkeye: "Okay, nobody move...I think one of the sandwiches just moved!"

Remember that episode...when John Ritter guest starred and  held Frank hostage in the showers?  ;D

Yeah, I do.  There were a lot of guest stars.  I remember Andrew Dice Clay too. :P

I have seasons one through six.  Think I'll watch some now. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/05 at 9:59 am

I never really watch the TV series of M.A.S.H., but I did enjoy the feature film.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 04/24/05 at 10:06 am

i only ever liked the movie.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/05 at 1:07 pm

I liked when Klinger played with them and threw in a pair of earrings into the pot. Pat Morita was also in that episode.

Cat

Written By: jackas on 04/24/05 at 1:11 pm

I liked when Klinger played with them and threw in a pair of earrings into the pot. Pat Morita was also in that episode.

Cat

;D ;D ;D
Was that the episode where Klinger fell asleep at the table and all you could see was his hat and glasses sticking up?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/05 at 1:14 pm

;D ;D ;D
Was that the episode where Klinger fell asleep at the table and all you could see was his hat and glasses sticking up?

I think so. I love Klinger's outfits. Two scenes I love-one when he was dressed as Cleopatra and the other on the final episode when BJ hands him a picture with the Scarlet O'Hara dress on and asked him to autograph it because no one would ever believe it.

Cat

Written By: jackas on 04/24/05 at 1:43 pm

I think so. I love Klinger's outfits. Two scenes I love-one when he was dressed as Cleopatra and the other on the final episode when BJ hands him a picture with the Scarlet O'Hara dress on and asked him to autograph it because no one would ever believe it.

Cat

;D ;D

Those are great! :D  I also like when he dressed as the Statue of Liberty when Gen. MacArthur came to visit.

I remember the episode where he is dressed like Scarlet and is reading the book under the oak tree. :P ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/05 at 1:47 pm

;D ;D

Those are great! :D  I also like when he dressed as the Statue of Liberty when Gen. MacArthur came to visit.

I remember the episode where he is dressed like Scarlet and is reading the book under the oak tree. :P ;D

The Statue of Liberty was great and I loved the fact that Gen. MacArthur saluted him. Poor Klinger. He tried so hard.

Cat

Written By: snoopy on 04/24/05 at 6:03 pm

re; M*A*S*H...Which "Version" 1972-1975

Written By: whitewolf on 04/24/05 at 6:06 pm

I liked both. I still watch the reruns.
sadly I have never seen the final episode when they all get to go home.

Written By: Doc Brown on 04/24/05 at 10:32 pm

sadly I have never seen the final episode when they all get to go home.
If you have the Hallmark channel on your cable service, there's nothing to worry about. Every time they reach the end of the series, that weekend they run the 2 1/2 hour series finale, but it'll take about 4 1/2 hrs to get through with commercials!  ::)
I won't spoil it for you wolf, but take heart in the fact that Col. Flagg does not make an appearance, but Sidney FREEDman gets a lot of screen time.  ;D Enjoy!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/05 at 10:16 am

Pull your pants down and slide on the ice.  :D ;D

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/25/05 at 10:50 am

Pull your pants down and slide on the ice.  :D ;D

Cat
;D

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/30/06 at 12:05 am

...one of those episodes that really show the horrors of war and the futility of war. I always remember the looks on their faces when it is announced over the loud speaker that Henry Blake has been killed.

Alright Now

JFTR, Henrys deathMURDER wasn't announced over the loudspeaker. The announcement came in the OR. Radar staggered in, Hawkeye made a joke about another discharge notice, and Radar read the telegram:

"Lt. Col. Henry Blake's plane... was shot down, over the Sea Of Japan... It spun in... there were no survivors!"

Radar then runs crying from the room, Margaret & the doctors can only look at each other in shock. I think a few eyes begin to tear, and those include mine.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/30/06 at 12:11 am

I preferred the later seasons with Mike Farrell and Harry Morgan.

Written By: whistledog on 08/30/06 at 12:36 am

I picked the later seasons  :)

Trapper was good, but I liked BJ better.  As for Trapper, I liked younger Trapper better than old Trapper (a'la Trapper John M.D.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/06 at 1:37 am

Neither:

I prefered the movie.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/30/06 at 11:02 am

JFTR, Henrys deathMURDER wasn't announced over the loudspeaker. The announcement came in the OR. Radar staggered in, Hawkeye made a joke about another discharge notice, and Radar read the telegram:

"Lt. Col. Henry Blake's plane... was shot down, over the Sea Of Japan... It spun in... there were no survivors!"

Radar then runs crying from the room, Margaret & the doctors can only look at each other in shock. I think a few eyes begin to tear, and those include mine.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Actually, that part was filmed totally unscripted.  The decision to kill Col. Blake was kept a secret from the entire cast, and was not in the script.  They were doing what was supposed to be the closing sequence, and handed Garry Burghoff a sheet of paper, and told him to go on the set and read it.  He went on the set, and proceeded to read what was written.  All of the reactions from the rest of the cast were natural, and they were as shocked as everybody else when they heard it.

Myself, I voted "neither".  For me, the original book and movie will always be the best.  The early years were mostly a disguised anti-Vietnam protest show, with a really horrible laugh track added.

In the middle years it got better, trying to keep with the original material.  But Henry Morgan was really hard to accept at first.  Probably the biggest reason was that he had appeared in a 1974 episode as Maj. Gen. Bartford Hamilton Steele , an insane general who made Cpl. Klinger look normal.  Think of a silly version of Col. Flagg.

I think the best was probably the year before Blake left, until after the 2nd year of Maj. Winchester.  By then the laughtrack was gone, and Vietnam was over, so they could turn into more of a Comedy-Drama, then a protest show.  But after that, the show got really old, and it was like every show was mostly a rehash of scripts and plots done years before.

It may surprise you but this is the longest running show broadcast on Armed Forces TV stations worldwide.  When I was in Panama and Japan, it was shown at least 4 times a day.  And it is still shown today, normally in a 1 hour time block.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/06 at 2:10 pm

Actually, that part was filmed totally unscripted.  The decision to kill Col. Blake was kept a secret from the entire cast, and was not in the script.  They were doing what was supposed to be the closing sequence, and handed Garry Burghoff a sheet of paper, and told him to go on the set and read it.  He went on the set, and proceeded to read what was written.  All of the reactions from the rest of the cast were natural, and they were as shocked as everybody else when they heard it.

I was going to mention that but you beat me to it. I also heard that something happened and they had to do a "take 2". I don't know if they just refilmed Radar's bit and kept everyone else's reactions or not.

We are in the process of getting M*A*S*H on DVD. There are only 2 more seasons that we need.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 08/30/06 at 3:33 pm

I prefer the older ones. I liked Harry alot.

I will always watch MASH when it's on...if i see it, i turn to it. one gerat american show.

Check for new replies or respond here...