inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kids show question...was there a show Wonderamma?

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/18/04 at 9:48 pm

Did I dream this up, lol?  I have memories of watching this show, Wonderamma, on the weekend, maybe Sunday with my sister.  It was with a man as a host, he had sandy blonde hair perhaps and a mustache and wore these G-d awful leisure suits.  The kids in the audience particiapted and I recall canned peanuts with the snake that pops out when you open it.  It was like a prank type show, I really don't remember too well, I was pretty young yet.  But I remember the guy and his big microphone and the kids getting all excited in the audience.  Anybody?

Subject: Re: Kids show question...was there a show Wonderamma?

Written By: hysteric et vous on 09/18/04 at 9:53 pm

I just googled it and fond some stuff.  It may have been called Kids are People too and Bob McAllister was the host, no mustache that I remembered wrong.

Here's the link for any interested:

http://www.tvparty.com/lostnywonder.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/19/04 at 11:55 am

I used to watch Wonderama all the time. No, you did not dream it up. This has been the topic of many threads on this board. You can search it and see that there are many board members who used to watch it.

Cat

Written By: nicko on 09/21/04 at 6:33 pm

nope you werent dreaming. i remember watching it as a kid . the host was bob mccallister.  and at the end of the program he would sing "does any here have an aardvark"  lol  didnt knew was an aardvark was til later on in life.  its an ant eater.  thanks great memories.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/22/04 at 6:49 pm

nope you werent dreaming. i remember watching it as a kid . the host was bob mccallister.  and at the end of the program he would sing "does any here have an aardvark"  lol  didnt knew was an aardvark was til later on in life.  its an ant eater.  thanks great memories.

I do remember that song (completely-don't ask why or how) but I didn't know what an aardvark was either. I remember some kid in the audience one time did have an aardvark (a stuffed/plastic one)

Cat

Written By: nicko on 09/24/04 at 10:29 pm

I do remember that song (completely-don't ask why or how) but I didn't know what an aardvark was either. I remember some kid in the audience one time did have an aardvark (a stuffed/plastic one)

Cat
funny how u can remeber little things in life and find out later that you're not the only one who remembers...lol

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/30/04 at 4:20 am

Did I dream this up, lol? I have memories of watching this show, Wonderamma, on the weekend, maybe Sunday with my sister. It was with a man as a host, he had sandy blonde hair perhaps and a mustache and wore these G-d awful leisure suits. The kids in the audience particiapted and I recall canned peanuts with the snake that pops out when you open it. It was like a prank type show, I really don't remember too well, I was pretty young yet. But I remember the guy and his big microphone and the kids getting all excited in the audience. Anybody?
Yep,that's WONDERAMA!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/30/04 at 4:22 am

Cat
How about the dance contests Wonderama had during the 70s...and the EXERCISE song'exercise,exercise,come on everybody do your exercise..'

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/07/04 at 4:12 pm

Wonderama! What a great show. I never missed it. Oh yeah, you can all envy me--I was on it once! My sister and I both, actually. I saw that Bob McAllister passed away, which I was sad to hear. It wasn't Sunday morning until I'd watched Wonderama!

Written By: Howard on 10/07/04 at 6:39 pm

What year was Wonderama on until it had ended? ???

Howard

Written By: KimberIndy on 10/07/04 at 8:09 pm

Wonderama went off the air in 1987, but I think by that time it had a different host than Bob McAllister.

Written By: iliketv2 on 10/08/04 at 10:16 pm

Wonderama was on from 8:30am-11:30am Sunday mornings on WNEW from New York :D :D :D

Written By: Howard on 10/09/04 at 9:22 am

Wonderama was on from 8:30am-11:30am Sunday mornings on WNEW from New York :D :D :D

I remember that.The guy who used to host Good Morning America also used to host Wonderama.I can't remember his name at the moment.

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/09/04 at 11:18 am

I remember that.The guy who used to host Good Morning America also used to host Wonderama.I can't remember his name at the moment.

Howard

David Hartman?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 10/10/04 at 6:41 pm

David Hartman?

Cat

Yes.That's it.Thanks Cat. ;)

Howard

Written By: kairi747 on 11/08/04 at 11:46 am

Does anybody here have an aarvark?
Does anybody here have an aardvark?
Everyone here has a right and left ear,
but does anybody here have an aardvark?

Remember the Wonderamam-a-go-go?
My sister and I used to turn a hassck (sp?) upside down and use it as one of those cage-like things they danced in!

I also remember Lenders bagels on that show - they must have sponsered it.

was the fingleheimer song from that show too?

Fingleheimer, fingleheimer, fingle-dingle-heimer.
the more you fingle, the less you heimer.
the more you heimer, the less you fingle.

Written By: gerard on 06/01/05 at 7:24 pm

i was on the show does anyone know how to get copies i was taped i believed in sept 1972 and was air nov

Written By: matt w on 10/02/05 at 5:53 am

Wow brings up great memories -- Gerard: very cool that you were in the show, I would love to see any episodes ---Catwom anovf ; its funny that you thought you might have dreamed this show -- i also felt the same way, nobody seemed to know this program. I finaly met someone who knew it about 5 years ago -- made me feel alot better.        Wasn't there a song during the middle of the show about excercise? (come on everybody do your excercise)  and also I remember a "disco kid" who came out dressed as a cowboy --- though that does seem like a dream (or night-mare) ..  Hysteric et vous:  The  cans of peanuts were used as some kind of contest --  most cans had sprung-loaded snakes, the winner was the one who opened up the can of peanuts and on the lid were attached paper flowers -  Great memories from a great time

Written By: TomThumb on 10/31/07 at 8:49 pm

Did I dream this up, lol?  I have memories of watching this show, Wonderamma, on the weekend, maybe Sunday with my sister.  It was with a man as a host, he had sandy blonde hair perhaps and a mustache and wore these G-d awful leisure suits.  The kids in the audience particiapted and I recall canned peanuts with the snake that pops out when you open it.  It was like a prank type show, I really don't remember too well, I was pretty young yet.  But I remember the guy and his big microphone and the kids getting all excited in the audience.  Anybody?

There was a show called Wonderamma and it origionally came on in the middle 50's with Sandy Becker as the MC.  The show was televised live, (no video tapes at that time, but they did make a movie of the show.) and it was on Sunday mornings, on WNEW chanel 5 from New York.  I was on the show as they came out to Levittown District 5 schools to film our Marching Band from Levittown Memorial High School and the Division Avenue Jr. High School band.  I was a trumpet player in the Division band and we played a song called the Thunderer and I had all the trumpet players stand when we had a small trumpet solo.  Our band leader was very angry at us for standing without his approval, but because this was live, he couldn't do anything about it.  My family got to see the show and it was aired again on You Asked For It when I was in the Military in 1962 and still didn't get to see the show.

TomThumb 

Written By: kerr on 04/11/08 at 4:48 pm

Wonderamma,, do you remember the snakes in the cans?  the cool free stuff,, exerciseexcersice come on everybody do your exercise? is that from Wonderamma?

I remember this,, is it from Wonderamma?
Dream a Dream
Sing a Song
Write a Book Right or Wrong
Any thing you want to be just let go fly free?

I wish I knew where that came from?

Written By: Entouch on 04/13/08 at 7:34 pm

You know I remember this show as well I remember they had alot of cool prizes for the kids. The most coveted prize was a bike. I also recall the host asking true and false questions to the kids. You could tell the kids were guessing the answers.  The host ended his show by singing "Kids are People Too wakado wakado wakado...."

Written By: ang on 06/04/08 at 11:15 am

I was on the show sometime in the 70's...it was great fun.  Earl the Pearl and Sister Sledge were the guests.  I remember I wore this mint green suit kind of thing with a jungle picture on the back...I didn't get chosen for any of the games, but I remember dancing and the gift bag we received at the end of the show.  It was full of toys, snacks and coupons.  My favorite thing was my Lender's bagel necklace.  I wish I had a tape of the show...

Written By: cynthia on 07/05/08 at 1:40 pm

Kids are people too, wack -a-do,wack-a-do! That was one of the lines to the song . I was fortunate to appear on the show in 1969-70 and one my first apollo racer bicycle and van duncan chocolates. It was a allday taping event and the song I danced to was Bobby Bloom's Heaven Makes You Happy. I had a blast and am looking to the contact the tv station to see if I could get a copy of the show in which I appeared.

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/11/08 at 10:58 am

I remember Wonderama it had three different hosts Sandy Becker, and then Sonny Fox and finally I think the guys name was Bob Mcallister.
I didn't realize David Hartman was a host too.. Geeze that show was on forever. And yep back when channel 5 was WNEW. Didn't channel 11 have Soupy Sales? Both those show kicked Bozozs butt. How about Romper Room with the do bee and the don't bee.

Written By: 60s girl on 03/18/09 at 12:11 am

Just had a flashback....remembered Wonderamma! Things I remembered (being a kid in Los Angeles) watching this Sundays...

"It isn't easy
going all day
winning and losing in the games that we play
doing our homework
learning in school
and trying to live by the Golden Rule
and so we hope
you'll understand
and try to lend a helping hand...

kids are people
kids are people
kids are people too
a really, really people too!"  :))

Bob Mc Calister (sp?)

Lender's Bagels

audience full of kids, lots of interactions/games with them

the can of spring loaded snakes/flowers (depending on whether you were a winner, or not)

"Exercize, exercize
come on everybody do your exercize"  :))

I remember Bob being a blond also

I wish there were some old episodes on YouTube to view! Take care!!

Written By: Mushroom on 03/18/09 at 9:13 am

I loved this show when I was growing up.  And I also watched it in LA on channel 11.

Back in the 1960's and 1970's, it was on every Sunday morning.  And it was always a marathon, 3 hours long.

I doubt you will find any episodes because of the length, but there are clips available out there.

Snake-In-A-Can!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq1PMd15iRo

Abba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGMuMrI7YyU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U7N3Wwqjqc

Muhammad Ali & Joe Frazier  (Ali beats Frazier, at Marbles!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLMLpGPLbK0

Roger Daltrey (as Tommy)
http://vodpod.com/watch/378558-roger-daltrey-interviewed-1975

The Jackson 5
http://vodpod.com/watch/378558-roger-daltrey-interviewed-1975

Kids Are People Too was both the theme song that Bob sang, and the name of the show after ABC picked it for nationwide broadcast.  Before then, it was a local NY show that was broadcast on the smaller MetroMedia Television Network (which in the 1980's became FoxTV).

Written By: Joe on 08/12/10 at 8:13 pm

Hey  I  gotta  a Toy  GUITAR    from  there and  have been trying to  find a copy  of the show I was on  for  years  >>>  Remember the  snakes in  the  can  Game!  After  givin  the company  my  Father
worked  for  a  big  plug  on TV  his  Boss  gave  me a nice  chrisp  bill  and  ALLWAYS  was real  Kind to me>>>>>    Of course  I really  wanted  the  BIKE

Written By: lola669 on 08/13/10 at 12:18 pm

Hey   I   gotta  a Toy  GUITAR    from  there and  have been trying to  find a copy  of the show I was on   for  years  >>>  Remember the  snakes in  the  can  Game!  After  givin  the company  my  Father
worked  for  a  big  plug  on TV  his  Boss  gave  me a nice   chrisp  bill   and  ALLWAYS  was real  Kind to me>>>>>    Of course   I really   wanted  the  BIKE

I was also on Wonderamma.  I went with a kid named Joey from Staten Island.

All I remember getting was a necklace with a painted Lender's Bagel-ette on it.

Check for new replies or respond here...