inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Overrated '70's Band/Artist

Written By: woops on 09/19/04 at 7:55 pm

My choices:

Journey, James Taylor, Cher, Donna Summer,  and  Abba.

Subject: Re: Most Overrated '70's Band/Artist

Written By: lebeiw15 on 09/19/04 at 8:04 pm

Sex Pistols, Bee Gees, Pink Floyd, Jackson 5, Led Zepplin.  Not saying they're bad bands necessarily, but way too overrated :P

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/19/04 at 9:55 pm

Sex Pistols, Kansas, John Denver, Tony Orlando and Dawn, and Peter Frampton

Tanya

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/19/04 at 10:57 pm

Boston, Aerosmith.

And if anyone EVER calls Pink Floyd overrated again, I will unleash an attack by way of the Gundam army.  ;D

Seriously. I don't think they get ENOUGH praise.

Written By: eightiesfan on 09/20/04 at 11:37 am

Other - Bread

Written By: schmartypantz on 09/24/04 at 10:41 am

I think Sweet Baby James Taylor is way over rated. I find him to be boring as heck ZZZzzzzzz

Led Zeppelin should not even be a choice on this as they cannot be over rated ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 09/24/04 at 11:24 am

I say Boston.  All the song sound the same.  Now in the 80s they had at least one obscure album and had a pretty neat sound from what Ive listened to.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 09/26/04 at 6:39 pm

I say Boston.  All the song sound the same. 

Of course.  All Chicago songs sound the same.  So do all Aerosmith songs.  And Heart songs.  and Foreigner songs.  It's called their style.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 09/26/04 at 6:40 pm

And if anyone EVER calls Pink Floyd overrated again, I will unleash an attack by way of the Gundam army.  ;D

You're kidding me.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/27/04 at 1:03 pm

KISS

They were unusual in appearance, definitely, but their sound was not as great as some people make it out to be.  This is just my opinion.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/27/04 at 1:05 pm

Other - Bread

I never thought Bread was overrated.  If anything, they're underrated.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/27/04 at 2:25 pm

Boston, Aerosmith.

I don't "Hate" them anymore....I just think they were overplayed. Whenever I was a DJ at parties it seemed a lot of people only wanted to hear them...but that DOES say something for thier popularity :)
My other choices were:
Donna Summer...(Disco Sucks!) ...though I DO like some...especially the Bee Gees :)
Cher :P
Jackson 5
and the worst of all...Springsteen http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/wuerg/vomit-smiley-007.gif

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/27/04 at 5:24 pm

Mark, how can you say that the Jackson five were overrated? They were the best family act in the seventies!

Also, what's with your obsession hatred of Springsteen?? ;) :) :D ;D

Tanya

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/27/04 at 11:38 pm

I can agree Springsteen is way overrated.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 09/28/04 at 12:42 am

Ill say Wings as the most overrated.  Since the Beatles broke up Paul McCartney has never written and/or performed at the same quality as with the Beatles. 

.....and dis-honorable mention has to go to the Sex Pistols.  They really didnt have much musical talent at all  (in fact Ive heard John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) openly admit it).  The only thing that really ever put them on the map was the attitude they presented.  But I still have to admit that I thought their stunt of boating down the Thames on the Queen's birthday was quite ballsy.  hahaha

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/29/04 at 8:08 am

Black Sabbath, Areosmith & Cher

Written By: jaytee on 09/29/04 at 9:37 am

Black Sabbath, Areosmith & Cher

Funny that ... my 3 choices were the same as yours Fuss.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:14 am

I can agree Springsteen is way overrated.
You JUST became my best friend ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 10:17 am

Mark, how can you say that the Jackson five were overrated? They were the best family act in the seventies!

Also, what's with your obsession hatred of Springsteen?? ;) :) :D ;D

Tanya
Okay..maybe I was a bit rough...the Jackson 5 was alright ::)
As for mr. Springcrap...my mom went out with his dad once and the guy was a jerk, I don't think the apple fell too far from the tree  :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/29/04 at 8:14 pm

I can see your point!  :)

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/29/04 at 9:54 pm

I can see your point!  :)

Tanya

Written By: memory on 06/27/05 at 1:02 pm

kansas  and kiss

both really good bands though

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/21/05 at 8:56 pm

Of course. All Chicago songs sound the same. So do all Aerosmith songs. And Heart songs. and Foreigner songs. It's called their style.
In the late 60s and early 70's Chicago rocked. So not ALL their stuff is same-ish or overrated.

BTW I got their 'LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL'box set for my twelfth birthday...

Written By: Aok4way on 07/22/05 at 8:09 pm

First and most importantly: Go buy Pink Floyd's Live At Pompeii DVD. If you love Floyd like me (have for over 30 years now), you'll love this live performance. If you think Floyd is overrated, this DVD will change your mind. Either way, it's the best live concert DVD I own, and it'll be at the top of your favorites list too. You'll even see a singing dog perform with them, live! Echos parts I and II, Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun, A Saucerful Of Secrets, Careful With That Ax, Eugene, and more... classic old Floyd!

Secondly: Bruce Springsteen is the product of excellent marketing (aided by lots of payola (free cocaine) for major market DJs who rammed his music down our throats in the 70s), not talent. Aside from Rosalita, I can't think of one decent tune by "The Boss".

In our tertiary position today: Anyone who thinks KISS is overrated hasn't seen them in concert! OMG what a show!

Boston's unique sound was due to the fact that Boston lead guitarist Tom Scholz (sp?) was the inventor of many of the electronic devices the band used to modulate the sound of their instruments - no one else had them. The effects boxes he created were later marketed to the public (can't remember which brand name it was... BOSS, DOD, one of those I think), but the band cut Tom loose, saying he wasn't fast enough. Personally, I think they made a big mistake!

I thought there were a lot of underrated performers on that list, and a lot of missing overrated performers. Way overrated... Eric Clapton, for instance. Now, if you're in the practice of letting the crowd do your thinking for you (like most people these days), you might not agree. Speaking as a musician though, I never did see what the big stink about Clapton was. He did a few good radio tunes, dumbed down stuff for the masses, but there never was any degree of virtuosity in any of his music.

*ducks and covers*

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 8:19 pm

kansas  and kiss

both really good bands though
I agree with you that both were good...I love Kansas..but I only think Kiss was the overrated one. IMHO, Kansas never recieved enough attention :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 8:25 pm

First and most importantly: Go buy Pink Floyd's Live At Pompeii DVD. If you love Floyd like me (have for over 30 years now), you'll love this live performance. If you think Floyd is overrated, this DVD will change your mind. Either way, it's the best live concert DVD I own, and it'll be at the top of your favorites list too. You'll even see a singing dog perform with them, live! Echos parts I and II, Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun, A Saucerful Of Secrets, Careful With That Ax, Eugene, and more... classic old Floyd!

Secondly: Bruce Springsteen is the product of excellent marketing (aided by lots of payola (free cocaine) for major market DJs who rammed his music down our throats in the 70s), not talent. Aside from Rosalita, I can't think of one decent tune by "The Boss".

In our tertiary position today: Anyone who thinks KISS is overrated hasn't seen them in concert! OMG what a show!

Boston's unique sound was due to the fact that Boston lead guitarist Tom Scholz (sp?) was the inventor of many of the electronic devices the band used to modulate the sound of their instruments - no one else had them. The effects boxes he created were later marketed to the public (can't remember which brand name it was... BOSS, DOD, one of those I think), but the band cut Tom loose, saying he wasn't fast enough. Personally, I think they made a big mistake!

I thought there were a lot of underrated performers on that list, and a lot of missing overrated performers. Way overrated... Eric Clapton, for instance. Now, if you're in the practice of letting the crowd do your thinking for you (like most people these days), you might not agree. Speaking as a musician though, I never did see what the big stink about Clapton was. He did a few good radio tunes, dumbed down stuff for the masses, but there never was any degree of virtuosity in any of his music.

*ducks and covers*

My reaction to your reply is just like my emotional stae...up and down. While I personally cannot and never could stand Floyd Or Bruuuuce :P I absolutely agree with your excellent description of the Boss..can't get with you on Floyd though. As for Clapton, I think he's a great guitarest though I do enjoy his stuff with Cream and his 70's stuff much more than his latest...the exceptions being "Tears In Heaven" and the better, IMO, reworked version of "Layla."  I think Kiss is just a little overrated but I've not had the pleasure of seeing them live....yet. Boston, I've ALWYS loved them :)

Written By: Aok4way on 07/22/05 at 8:55 pm

My reaction to your reply is just like my emotional stae...up and down. While I personally cannot and never could stand Floyd Or Bruuuuce :P I absolutely agree with your excellent description of the Boss..can't get with you on Floyd though. As for Clapton, I think he's a great guitarest though I do enjoy his stuff with Cream and his 70's stuff much more than his latest...the exceptions being "Tears In Heaven" and the better, IMO, reworked version of "Layla."  I think Kiss is just a little overrated but I've not had the pleasure of seeing them live....yet. Boston, I've ALWYS loved them :)

Hey man, hope your ups get longer and your lows shorter. Sometimes, it's good to just be still, ya know? Might be outrunning that last up!

Most people who dislike Floyd are coming from a "The Wall" era perspective. I lost a little of my zeal for Floyd when they started whoring, but after all those years of innovation, and imagine the courage and fortitude it took, they deserve the financial rewards as much as anyone I can think of. Really, try renting the Live at Pompeii DVD. I think you'll thank me for it if you do. Floyd really stuck it to their detractors of the day when they recorded that concert. Back then, Floyd was always getting knocked for their use of technology in making their music - a lot of people misunderstood, and thought the technology made the music. This concert busted that myth once and for all! They freakin' ROCKED! The premise is that they're playing in the ruins of an amphitheater in Pompeii, at the foot of Mt. Vesuvius. There is no audience; they played for the cameras and the ghosts of Pompeii. The original footage was recorded in 1971, and the new version is a director's cut with a new, extended version of the film AND the original concert film. The special features kick a little behind too, by the way.

Written By: Aok4way on 07/22/05 at 9:12 pm

LOL... just curious... Can anyone name three songs by the bands they listed as most overrated (no cheating)? How about the three songs you hated most by your most overrated bands?

Written By: sandinmyvahgina on 07/22/05 at 9:30 pm

I'm gonna have to go with Kansas....but then again, is Kansas really THAT overrated?  If so, then let me also add Poco and Bread.....

Written By: zcrito on 07/22/05 at 10:57 pm

KISS

They were unusual in appearance, definitely, but their sound was not as great as some people make it out to be.  This is just my opinion.

Thanks. That's so true. The most overrated band of the '70s.

As for some of the others on the list -- if I don't like 'em then I at least have made my peace with them. Live and let live. Sometimes a bad '70s song can bring back some good memories.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/05 at 12:26 am

LOL... just curious... Can anyone name three songs by the bands they listed as most overrated (no cheating)? How about the three songs you hated most by your most overrated bands?
I actually can name a Pink Floyd song that I love..."Hey You"  My whole thing about them is that when I used to DJ parties I was so frustrated because all the stoners wanted to hear was whole LP's by Pink Floyd, when there was other music that others, including myself, wanted to enjoy. They were also SO overplayed and continue to be today on radio.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/05 at 12:29 am

Hey man, hope your ups get longer and your lows shorter. Sometimes, it's good to just be still, ya know? Might be outrunning that last up!

Most people who dislike Floyd are coming from a "The Wall" era perspective. I lost a little of my zeal for Floyd when they started whoring, but after all those years of innovation, and imagine the courage and fortitude it took, they deserve the financial rewards as much as anyone I can think of. Really, try renting the Live at Pompeii DVD. I think you'll thank me for it if you do. Floyd really stuck it to their detractors of the day when they recorded that concert. Back then, Floyd was always getting knocked for their use of technology in making their music - a lot of people misunderstood, and thought the technology made the music. This concert busted that myth once and for all! They freakin' ROCKED! The premise is that they're playing in the ruins of an amphitheater in Pompeii, at the foot of Mt. Vesuvius. There is no audience; they played for the cameras and the ghosts of Pompeii. The original footage was recorded in 1971, and the new version is a director's cut with a new, extended version of the film AND the original concert film. The special features kick a little behind too, by the way.
Thanks, I'm trying to just get by. I figure another 10-15 years tops....anyway, I may check it out but to be honest, I suffer from Floyd burnout :-\\

Written By: jiminy on 07/23/05 at 3:28 am

The Doobie Brothers and The Grateful Dead

Written By: Aok4way on 07/23/05 at 7:48 am

The Dead? Holy guacamole, Jiminy! No wayski! Kewl and kruel web site, btw!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/05 at 8:10 pm

Grateful Dead, yes...Doobie Brothers, no ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/23/05 at 11:03 pm

Of course.  All Chicago songs sound the same.  So do all Aerosmith songs.  And Heart songs.  and Foreigner songs.  It's called their style.

No, Boston really did sound the same on almost every song.. the tempo, the vocals, the chords - I think they were trying to find a way outta Boston with their starships, but sounding the same all the time never got them out of there.

Chicago had various styles incorporated in their music, plus they had many lead singers besides Peter Cetera. Foreigner had some cool stuff, definatly more varied. Heart had some good beats to their music. Does Heart of 1975 sound like the same Heart of "These Dreams?" Heck no! lol. It doesn't hurt an artist to change it up a bit - just like a baseball pitcher.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/29/05 at 8:09 pm

No, Boston really did sound the same on almost every song.. the tempo, the vocals, the chords - I think they were trying to find a way outta Boston with their starships, but sounding the same all the time never got them out of there.

Chicago had various styles incorporated in their music, plus they had many lead singers besides Peter Cetera. Foreigner had some cool stuff, definatly more varied. Heart had some good beats to their music. Does Heart of 1975 sound like the same Heart of "These Dreams?" Heck no! lol. It doesn't hurt an artist to change it up a bit - just like a baseball pitcher.
The early stuff by Chicago was really cool. Stuff like "Beginnings" with the rhythm-section jam..."Make Me Smile"...."Saturday in the Park"..."Dialogue I and II"...
As I said before..I got their live set from Carnegie Hall...a lot of cool stuff came with it..a couple of posters..a picture-book of the concert..and VOTER REGISTRATION info as well(I wonder if Chicago is the only band that was politically active like that?)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/29/05 at 8:12 pm

*ducks and covers*

Tom Scholz also had a recording studio set up in his BASEMENT....

Written By: zcrito on 07/29/05 at 11:29 pm

It looks like Chicago is touring with Earth, Wind & Fire. They may both perform together for the entire concert, but I'm not sure. Sounds good either way!

Check for new replies or respond here...