inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Langley Schools Music Project

Written By: maddog on 09/22/04 at 7:33 am

Has anyone heard of this group?

In 1976/1977, a music teacher in a school in North West Canada started a choir, backed with some guitars and perscussion instruments. They rehearsed and recorded a number of popular songs from the 1960s and 1970s, including songs by artists such as The Beach Boys, The Beatles, The Carpenters and David Bowie. The recordings were intended originally for the friends and families of the choir but they got heard by a record company executive who was so impressed that he got the songs released on an album "Innocence and Despari".

Since then it's become something of a cult classic. I'd heard of it vaguely but this month a UK music magazine (Q) gave away a "sampler" CD, including one of the songs by the Langley Schools Music Project ("You're So Good To Me" by The Beach Boys). I listened and found it really good - it goes beyond what you might expect, i.e. a group of not terrifically musically talented kids singing in a school gym! Their voices and the arrangement are quirky but their enthusiasm and love of music just comes right out of the speakers at you - it's quite uplifting to think of all those children getting such basic enjoyment from performing.

If you're interested to hear some samples, you can download some clips (legally) at the website below.

http://keyofz.com/keyofz/langley/

Check for new replies or respond here...