inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Horror Films of the 70's

Written By: eightiesfan on 09/22/04 at 7:50 am

Those four are the only ones I can think of at the moment - anyway, I pick "Carrie" because I could totally relate to the story of not quite fitting in in high school.

Subject: Re: Best Horror Films of the 70's

Written By: joedeertae on 09/22/04 at 9:00 am

I picked other Dawn of the Dead (1979) with Piranha (1978) being a close second as this was the first "scary" movie that I saw at the theatre. I was 8.

Written By: PoetDude on 09/22/04 at 10:17 am

It's The Exorcist for me. That movie totally freaked me out (I first saw it when I was around 14). Oh, another totally scary flick was Jaws. I didn't wanna swim in the water for a whole year after that one! LOL.

~PD 8)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/22/04 at 4:14 pm

I voted for the Exorcist. However, Carrie is not far behind.

Tanya

Written By: schmartypantz on 09/24/04 at 10:42 am

I voted for the Exorcist. However, Carrie is not far behind.

Tanya

my thoughts exactly.  :)

Written By: Hairspray on 09/24/04 at 11:18 pm

The Exorcist - The effects still rock to this day.

Written By: mandamoo on 09/25/04 at 12:30 am

The Exorcist.

Written By: Southern Image on 10/03/05 at 2:55 pm

The Exorcist, and it still scares the crap out of me  :o

Written By: oneno on 10/03/05 at 8:51 pm

I was always creeped out by the omega man or the abominable doctor phibes. gues at the tender age of 10 or 11 may be a factor too.

Written By: whistledog on 10/03/05 at 9:07 pm

Halloween.  There's nothing creepier than a man in a William Shatner mask coming to kill you  ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/05/05 at 12:32 am

It's The Exorcist for me. That movie totally freaked me out (I first saw it when I was around 14). Oh, another totally scary flick was Jaws. I didn't wanna swim in the water for a whole year after that one! LOL.

~PD 8)
Agreed...Excorcist...Totally freaked me...and ..YES...JAWS...didnt get in the water for 3 yrs...

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 10/05/05 at 5:06 am

Texas Chainsaw Massacre. This film is excellent. The director did a superb job. It had a snuff-like feel to it. He made you feel like you were actually there. This film had satanic overtones to it, but was ignored by most moviegoers. I think this film should have been nominated for two oscars: Best Film and Best Director.

Written By: drewbru on 10/05/05 at 5:46 pm

Was "The Shining" released in the 70's?  That movie scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.  I learned how to turn out my bedroom light and leap 10 feet from the doorway straight into my bed.  That movie gave me nightmares for years -- used to dream about elevators opening, and drowning in rivers of blood.

From the movies in your list, I'd pick "The Exorcist".

Written By: ramonjet on 10/07/05 at 1:26 am

what about the movie Sssssss

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/05 at 1:32 am

The Exorcist, for all the special effects were done for real in front of the camera on the studio set.

Written By: Skippy on 10/07/05 at 11:17 pm

The Exorcist, Carrie, Phantasm.

Written By: GREEN67 on 10/08/05 at 2:56 pm

8)  I forgot about Phantasm..The Tall Man..so very CREEPY!!  and one of my ALL time faves..Cheesy but I love it...Gargoyles!!!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/05 at 2:58 pm

8)  I forgot about Phantasm..The Tall Man..so very CREEPY!!  and one of my ALL time faves..Cheesy but I love it...Gargoyles!!!!
I fell asleep during Phantasm

Written By: loki 13 on 10/08/05 at 6:31 pm

The best horror film for me was "inferno" (1978),by Darrio Argento
not because it was a particularly a good movie but Keith Emerson
did the soundtrack.

Written By: robby76 on 10/09/05 at 4:56 am

I loved Halloween and it's the only horror I'd put in my Top favourite films. It had such a nice 70's feel to it... especially the first scenes when they're walking home.

Plus anything that can scare you in broad daylight must be good!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/05 at 4:59 am

I loved Halloween and it's the only horror I'd put in my Top favourite films. It had such a nice 70's feel to it... especially the first scenes when they're walking home.
Was that the sequence, shot in one contiual take, using a pana-glide camera so that the cameraman did not shake the camera and the picture remained steady.

Written By: robby76 on 10/09/05 at 6:09 am

You caught me out there Phillip -  I have absolutely no idea. Haven't seen Halloween in years, but I do know I love the sunny walk back from school the 3 girls had... and then seeing Mike Myers' still body amongst the billowing white sheets. Eeerie stuff!

And the most important thing about a horror movie is that it has to have that "it could so easily happen to you" factor. Halloween has that!

Written By: Powerslave on 10/09/05 at 7:53 am

"The Shining" was released in 1980.

TCM was my favourite out of the ones listed, but my favourite of all is "Suspiria".

Written By: retrolady on 10/09/05 at 9:30 am

My favourite Horror movie of the 70's is "The Omen"
Put me off having children for life ;)

Written By: Keet on 10/12/05 at 12:19 am

My favorite was the one with that Lovelace woman, the movie called Deep Thr....oh wait.  Was that HORROR movie you asked,.. er....uh...

....DISREGARD PREVIOUS TRANSMISSION...

Written By: Banks on 10/12/05 at 5:11 am

I picked 'other' because the original Dawn Of The Dead is one of the most terrifying classic horror movies of all time.

Id also pick Damien: Omen 2. I mean, after seeing that movie I was terrified of crows for years. Plus I kept checking for three sixes in my hairline for months.

Also, yet another that comes so close to being my all time favorite 70's horror movie is the original mini-series version of Salems Lot.

CGOOTR

Written By: Keet on 10/15/05 at 3:10 am

Before I was old enough to go to the theater movies, I had to rely on the ABC Movie of the Week for some scary movies.  Remember those?  (Duel with Dennis Weaver, Trilogy of Terror with Karen Black, SSSsssssss with Dirk Benedict, etc). 

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/16/05 at 10:29 am

The Exorcist - The effects still rock to this day.

I choose the Exorcist aswell.
I believe Dick Smith a fellow Australian did the make up/special effects for The Exorcist. Still holds up to this very day. We have a chain of electronics stores here in Australia called Dick Smith Electronics & also Dick Smith Powerhouse. His latest venture that i know of from a few years ago is his own brand of Australian made food products & many other things with his face on the packaging. He even had his own line of matches wich were called buttheads (a spin on Redheads), i kid you not.

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/16/05 at 11:02 am

Actually to be honest The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was probably one of the most twisted & my favourite horror films i've seen to date. Very little blood or graphic violence but so bizarely insane & effective. It all came down to the filming technique, the low budget gritty documentary style feel, the cinematography & editing, the really bizare & fantastic movie score, & with that cast (eg the hitchiker) you couldn't possibly recast it differently & expect to get the same effect. And what about that banquite at the dinner table scene. The remake just didn't cut it & just paled in comparisin. More graphic violence  & slicker cinematography isn't really an improvement. Also in the original they didn't paint Leatherface out to be some horror movie superhero cult figure like Jason etc that kicks a** like in the remake, but rather just some realisticly bizare & deranged freak. Although maybe not as frightening as The Exorcist the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was definitly the most realisticly twisted piece of cult cinema ever & definitly done better in my opinion, especially for that budget. Besides the supernatural is just make believe whereas people like that family really do exist which is a scarier thought in itself. They are both to completely different movies though & both historicly shocking for different reasons, to compare them is just pointless. 

Written By: whistledog on 10/16/05 at 7:30 pm

Before I was old enough to go to the theater movies, I had to rely on the ABC Movie of the Week for some scary movies.  Remember those?  (Duel with Dennis Weaver, Trilogy of Terror with Karen Black, SSSsssssss with Dirk Benedict, etc). 

I remember Duel.  For the longest time I never knew it was made-4-Tv because it was a Spielberg film.  It was a really great thriller :)

Written By: Powerslave on 10/16/05 at 9:25 pm

I choose the Exorcist aswell.
I believe Dick Smith a fellow Australian did the make up/special effects for The Exorcist.

The Dick Smith who worked on The Exorcist is a different guy to the Australian entrepreneur.

Duel is great!

Written By: Cafe80s on 10/16/05 at 11:10 pm

The Dick Smith who worked on The Exorcist is a different guy to the Australian entrepreneur.

Duel is great!

Are you sure about that, because in a horror documentary i've seen that featured making of material for The Exorcist the photo still of the Dick Smith shown most definitly looked like the Dick Smith i'm talking about.  Although i must admit i did see this documentary quite a few years ago now, but even so it's not the kind of thing i'd forget.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/17/05 at 3:21 am

I remember Duel.  For the longest time I never knew it was made-4-Tv because it was a Spielberg film.  It was a really great thriller :)
Duel was shot in a wide screen format, but the film was released as a TV-Movie. When viewed on a cinema screen, there is a scene where you can see Spielburg sitting in a passenger seat in the back of the car, but would be missed on the TV screen.

Written By: oingo_fan on 10/18/05 at 10:16 pm

The one that feaked me out as a kid was "Don't be Afraid of the Dark".  It's about a young couple that move into an old victorian house.  The handyman warns them to "leave things alone" and to not open up a fireplace that's been bricked shut.  Of course the fireplace is opened and three-four little prune-headed demons pop out.  These things then proceed to torment the living $%&@ out of the wife while the husband thinks she's losing it.  Simple special effects but still freaky to this day.  I picked up a copy off of Ebay and it still was a great watch.  Here's the IMDB link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069992/

Written By: Barefoot_Blues on 10/18/05 at 10:25 pm

The Exorcist

Written By: Powerslave on 10/19/05 at 7:37 pm

Are you sure about that,

Yes

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004615/

Written By: Tia on 10/20/05 at 1:18 pm

i don't know if this counts as good (the more accurate word would actually probably be "bad") or as a movie (it's more a genre) but i'm really into these movies where innocent midwestern flyover country types stumble across roving bands of satan worshippers. they made a whole slew of them in the early 70s with cheesy names like "asylum of satan" and "ride with the devil" and you could tell you were watching one because there was always this satan-worshipping scene somewhere in it, with lots of long hooded robes and lit candles and goofy chanting. "ride with the devil" is definitely the best one. peter fonda, man!

Written By: vinyl lover on 10/29/05 at 9:07 pm

i chose the exorcist, but i have to mention also christine,the nanny, and a made for tv movie that scared me at 13 because of the weird phone voice...when michael calls...starring a young mike douglas

Written By: Tia on 10/30/05 at 12:50 am

i really love "coma" as a sci-fi/horror crossover from the late 70s that also features a perky mike douglas.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/30/05 at 4:22 pm

Halloween

Written By: Loven1 on 10/31/05 at 2:11 am

I really like all the movies above.  But my favorite out of those is

HALLOWEEN!

This is my personal 70s top horror list:

1. Alien
2. Halloween
3. Jaws (It scared the hell out of me when I was young!)
4. The Exorcist
5. Carrie
6. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
7. The Omen

Written By: SweetAlice on 01/13/06 at 7:08 am

My favorites are:

Suspiria
Beyond the Door
Lisa and the Devil
Alice Sweet Alice
It's Alive
The Omen
and any movie with Pia Zadora in it

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/13/06 at 10:16 am

A movie that scared me to DEATH was Bad Ronald.  I watched in on the TV the other night - wondered why it was so darn scary! :-\\

Written By: SweetAlice on 01/13/06 at 10:24 am

A movie that scared me to DEATH was Bad Ronald.  I watched in on the TV the other night - wondered why it was so darn scary! :-\\

I've been trying to find that movie but its not available on netflix. Where did you see it?

Written By: Tia on 01/13/06 at 10:44 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: barefootrobin on 01/13/06 at 11:10 am

I've been trying to find that movie but its not available on netflix. Where did you see it?

It was on Shadow Lane I think.  We have Bell Express View Satellite going on - With the Movie Central Package.  I'm pretty sure it was on Shadow Lane, I know for sure it was on the TV.  Don't google shadow lane, I just did and it was all spanking web sites ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Abix on 01/13/06 at 2:37 pm

the scariest part about "Carrie"  for me , was when she went into her prayer closet and had that creepy Jesus/Voodoo doll with the eerie hollow  eyes that stared back at you.  That doll alone  freaked me out. 

Written By: deadrockstar on 02/10/06 at 10:56 pm

Halloween easily.

Written By: Banks on 02/11/06 at 3:42 am

I just remembered two more really good horror movies:

Patrick...Its about a man who is in a vegatative state who has huge psychic powers. He falls in love with one of his doctors and kills anyone who gets close to her. I especially remember the end where he flies up and hits his hospital room window with his body, smashing it to bits.

The other movie is:

The Hills Have Eyes...Now that movie scared me as a kid.

A few other notables (some may be early 80's though):

Happy Birthday Alice...an Aussie movie with a satanic scenario.

Dead And Buried

Scanners

Wolfen

Blood Beach

AN

Written By: jaytee on 02/11/06 at 8:14 am

I just remembered two more really good horror movies:

Patrick...Its about a man who is in a vegatative state who has huge psychic powers. He falls in love with one of his doctors and kills anyone who gets close to her. I especially remember the end where he flies up and hits his hospital room window with his body, smashing it to bits.

OMG I remember that movie - it was VERY creepy!

The Excorcist is still the scariest for me.

Written By: Tia on 02/11/06 at 11:56 am

WEIRD. i was just talking about patrick on another board. that used to be on all the time late night on the independent local station. along with "the manitou," a perfectly prespammersite movie about a woman who's growing a native american midget god on the back of her neck.

Written By: SweetAlice on 09/10/06 at 7:28 am

WEIRD. i was just talking about patrick on another board. that used to be on all the time late night on the independent local station. along with "the manitou," a perfectly prespammersite movie about a woman who's growing a native american midget god on the back of her neck.

Wow, I havent thought about that movie since the 70's, when I saw it at the drive-in!

Checking now to see if its on netflix...  ;)

Written By: Tia on 09/10/06 at 11:09 am

Wow, I havent thought about that movie since the 70's, when I saw it at the drive-in!

Checking now to see if its on netflix...  ;)

patrick or manitou? i'm pretty sure manitou isn't, unless it came out since i checked a few months ago.

patrick's a good question, i'd like to see that movie again.

Written By: SweetAlice on 09/10/06 at 4:24 pm

patrick or manitou?

I was referring to Manitou but I also saw Patrick at the drive-in around the same time and haven't thought about that one either since the 70's.

There were a lot of evil-telepathic-power themed movies then. I loved them! I remember trying to move objects with my mind. I would stare at whatever it was i was trying to move, and focus really hard almost to point of blacking out. It never worked, but that didn't stop me from trying.

Of course, I would have used my power for good and not evil.    ;D
Netflix doesn't have Manitou but they do have Partrick. 
OK, time to levitate my cat!  :)

Written By: Banks on 09/12/06 at 2:22 am

I picked Dawn Of The Dead. That movies definately is one of the best scarefests and gore fests from that decade.

Halloween is also a great film.

I also think Last House On The Left is another very scary movie.

AN

Written By: Tia on 09/12/06 at 11:20 am

I was referring to Manitou but I also saw Patrick at the drive-in around the same time and haven't thought about that one either since the 70's.

There were a lot of evil-telepathic-power themed movies then. I loved them! I remember trying to move objects with my mind. I would stare at whatever it was i was trying to move, and focus really hard almost to point of blacking out. It never worked, but that didn't stop me from trying.

Of course, I would have used my power for good and not evil.    ;D
Netflix doesn't have Manitou but they do have Partrick. 
OK, time to levitate my cat!  :)
that's so funny! i totally did the same thing, trying to levitate stuff. my avatar is a 70s telekinetic hero who uses her powers for good and not evil.

Written By: Ansand on 09/12/06 at 6:57 pm

this movie scared the "$%#@" out of me when I was a kid

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1266/movieposterforwebsitefn3.jpg

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/12/06 at 10:14 pm

::) i have posted this before but...it was REALLY cheesy..Gargoyles..starring..Jennifer Salt, Bernie Casey..( as the head Gargoyle).., Cornel Wilde...and a very young Scott Glenn..I loved it!!!

Written By: crazyneighbor on 01/18/07 at 3:22 pm

Oh :\'(I remember The Town That Dreaded Sundown.........I slept with blankets over my windows for 3 years I think. LOL

Written By: Snoopygirl on 01/30/07 at 1:39 pm

Other:

Dawn of the Dead

I was scared after watching this for the first time. I was so afraid that something like this would actually happen. To make matters worse, at the time we lived down the road from a cemetary, and after watching this at night, I thought I heard strange noises coming from it.

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 02/01/07 at 7:27 pm

I remember, Gitchie Manitou is what the Indian would chant!!
And what about "it's Alive" about a killer baby,,,now we're getting into the Campy ones!!!

Written By: Tia on 02/01/07 at 7:54 pm

the manitou! this is my favorite bump ever. you haven't lived until you see that whack spacey hospital montage at the end. in the floor that doesn't exist.

when i was a little kid there was a promo spot for it's alive (god help me, didn't that flick come out in 1974?), and i had a babysitter one night, right? so we were sitting around eating ice cream and watching late-night t.v. and this commercial comes on for it's alive, it's this birthday cake sitting on a table with little kid birthday music playing in the background? right? looked good to me.

okay. dude. babysitter starts TOTALLY SCREAMING. right? "turn the t.v. off! turn the t.v. off! this COMMERCIAL FREAKS ME OUT! TURN OFF THE T.V.! OR I'LL GO INSANE!" so in a complete panic i run to the t.v. and turn it off. turns out the way the commercial went, this mutated baby claw comes out at the end and swipes off a piece of the birthday cake. and this commercial scared my babysitter so much she just couldn't handle it. why SHE couldn't get up and turn off the t.v., i'll never know. but i ended up having all these issues about that incident! it totally messed me up, i couldn'ta been but four or five years old.

i had this nightmare about it's alive a few years later. the baby's chasing me, chasing me, gets me, i wake up, i'm all relieved, and then THE BABY COMES OUT FROM UNDER THE BED.  :o and then i wake up again. it was the dream within a dream! just like in a bad horror movie, only in real life that sheesh will rock. you. to. the. depths. of. your. soul. i was a quivering mass of blubber for the rest of the night. DAG.

the best thing is, i finally eventually saw the movie, and it... it... IT...

actually wasn't that scary.

Written By: Snoopygirl on 02/02/07 at 1:14 pm

I remember It's Alive. I saw it much later in the mid 80s and didn't think it was scary at all.  But the commercial for it when it was in the theatre was another story. That scene with the bassinet and then the claw coming out. Talk about being freaked out.  I don't remember the commercial for it with the cake scene.

Written By: Tia on 02/02/07 at 1:46 pm

I remember It's Alive. I saw it much later in the mid 80s and didn't think it was scary at all.  But the commercial for it when it was in the theatre was another story. That scene with the bassinet and then the claw coming out. Talk about being freaked out.  I don't remember the commercial for it with the cake scene.
you know, it mighta been a bassinet? i dunno, it was a while ago. i swear i remember it as a birthday cake.

that's funny, though, taht you remember it too. i don't know much about the movie business but evidently trailers are done in a totally different part of the business, like, i'm not sure the director etc. has much say in how trailers are done. which is why sometimes you see rockin' trailers for a movie, and then you go out and see the movie and it sucks. i like larry cohen a lot (director of "it's alive") but whoever did that trailer was just too damn good.

oo! i wonder if it's on youtube. and good trailers for sucky movies would be a good thread.

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 02/02/07 at 6:26 pm

i don't know if this counts as good (the more accurate word would actually probably be "bad") or as a movie (it's more a genre) but i'm really into these movies where innocent midwestern flyover country types stumble across roving bands of satan worshippers. they made a whole slew of them in the early 70s with cheesy names like "asylum of satan" and "ride with the devil" and you could tell you were watching one because there was always this satan-worshipping scene somewhere in it, with lots of long hooded robes and lit candles and goofy chanting. "ride with the devil" is definitely the best one. peter fonda, man!

Yep, remember that one, was actually "Race with the devil" and had Loretta Switt too!!
Started off with a Satanical sacrifice and took off from there, good one!!!

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 02/02/07 at 6:30 pm

what about the movie Sssssss

Good one!! About a doctor that transforms a young man, I believe Jan Michael Vincent into a snake!!
Remember that cobra man in the circus? Creepy!!!

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/07 at 6:34 pm

for me its the first 15 or so minutes of When a Stranger Calls  and the last 20 minutes of Halloween.

Written By: 1313mockingbirdlane on 02/06/07 at 8:45 pm

for me its the first 15 or so minutes of When a Stranger Calls  and the last 20 minutes of Halloween.

What about the last 15 minutes of ALIEN?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/07 at 1:32 am

Why not the whole of Alien?

Written By: snozberries on 02/12/07 at 5:10 pm

I love Alien but I don't think of it as Horror... not too scary if you ask me just COOL!

Written By: Dukefan on 02/12/07 at 8:05 pm

All of those are great.  Probably Halloween and The Exorcist tops.  I like Carrie and TCM too, though.

Don't forget about Jaws, Alien, etc.  Perhaps they are not outright horror films, but they do have scares.

Check for new replies or respond here...