inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Unreleased version of "Got to Be Real"

Written By: acshore86 on 10/02/04 at 3:48 am

In 1978, newcomer Cheryl Lynn released her #1 disco smash hit, "Got to Be Real." As many record companies do, there is an actual origianl long version of the song, then they edit it into 2 halfs, and issue a long-but-edited version for the LP, and an even sort edit for single release; thus... keeping the original-full-length mix exclusively for disco clubs only. Well, most of the 12" original disco mixes find their way onto ebay or in used record stores, however, Cheryl Lyyn's original edit of "Got to Be Real" exists, but is not available commercially anymore. When it was first released to the DJ's back in '78, only so many copies were given out, but then they were lost. The only way you can find the full 7:40 original version is by using the music shareware program WinMX. I downloaded, but it was copied directly from the vinyl itself and was terrible. Then I found the same recording of it again, but, instead it was in pristine sound quality. If anyone wants a copy, please... let me know!

Subject: Re: Unreleased version of "Got to Be Real"

Written By: MLB on 10/06/04 at 6:38 pm

That's my sister's name (whadda coincidence--she was "hatched" in '76) and I love that song!  I don't have computer capable downloading at home tho' and school computers are just for "business".  But I loved hearing the "scoop".  You get the feeling that those club songs probably were so much longer to dance to so that by the time they were played on radio after a lot of the dance clubs closed or changed formats the songs lost some of their length and style for radio's maximum limit of about 3.5-5 minutes per song.  I swear I heard the cut down 7 minute "inagodadavida" on a car trip with "rock" oldies radio and my whole being was glad it wasn't the longer version!  And I am also very sad that he was slurring his words so much that he was never understood to be saying "in the garden of eden honey", cause that would have been a song with a whole different flair!

Written By: mmace63 on 10/19/04 at 11:25 am

Hi,

Yes!  Where can I get this?  Please email me.  Thanks!!!

In 1978, newcomer Cheryl Lynn released her #1 disco smash hit, "Got to Be Real." As many record companies do, there is an actual origianl long version of the song, then they edit it into 2 halfs, and issue a long-but-edited version for the LP, and an even sort edit for single release; thus... keeping the original-full-length mix exclusively for disco clubs only. Well, most of the 12" original disco mixes find their way onto ebay or in used record stores, however, Cheryl Lyyn's original edit of "Got to Be Real" exists, but is not available commercially anymore. When it was first released to the DJ's back in '78, only so many copies were given out, but then they were lost. The only way you can find the full 7:40 original version is by using the music shareware program WinMX. I downloaded, but it was copied directly from the vinyl itself and was terrible. Then I found the same recording of it again, but, instead it was in pristine sound quality. If anyone wants a copy, please... let me know!

Written By: Jeff Lemberskie on 03/29/05 at 1:17 pm

Yes, please tell me how I can get a copy -

Thanks! jlcredit@bellsouth.net

Check for new replies or respond here...