inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A 60's/70's cartoon

Written By: Marla on 10/04/04 at 10:14 am

Hi there,

Does anyone remember a cartoon from the late 60's/early 70's about the characters from the Wizard of Oz?  I think it was called The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  The opening theme starts off something like "Here's three lost souls, oh me, oh my, no brain, no heart, (something something).  But never mind you see, here's the wizard (something something).....just follow the road, the road paved with gold....to that funny land called the Wizard of Oz."  I think the Tin Man had a really scratchy voice, and the lion was really jowly :)  It aired in Canada in the early 1970s, but I don't know if it was a wide release cartoon or not.  Thanks for any help!

-Marla :) 

Subject: Re: A 60's/70's cartoon

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 10/04/04 at 4:28 pm

After only reading the first line on this thread the first thing that came to  mind was the"Tin Man with a really scratchy voice"  :)
Yeah I remember it,but never really liked it too much though...I was more into Spiderman and Batman type cartoons..

Written By: Nunna on 01/24/06 at 12:32 pm

I barely remember it, but you're right about the Tin Man...he had a wicked scratchy voice.  Did you ever find anything else out about it ?  Sorry I'm no help with the lyrics, but I'll keep an ear to the ground.

Nunna

Hi there,

Does anyone remember a cartoon from the late 60's/early 70's about the characters from the Wizard of Oz?  I think it was called The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  The opening theme starts off something like "Here's three lost souls, oh me, oh my, no brain, no heart, (something something).  But never mind you see, here's the wizard (something something).....just follow the road, the road paved with gold....to that funny land called the Wizard of Oz."  I think the Tin Man had a really scratchy voice, and the lion was really jowly :)  It aired in Canada in the early 1970s, but I don't know if it was a wide release cartoon or not.  Thanks for any help!

-Marla :) 

Written By: calw on 11/23/08 at 1:47 am

It was called Tales of The Wizard of Oz  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDpEp5JFrZA

Written By: Signals7777 on 12/07/08 at 2:31 pm

It's Tales of the Wizard of Oz from 1961.  It was made by legendary Holiday special masters Rankin/Bass.

Tales of the Wizard of Oz had a grand total of 120 four to five minute shorts in all, though some sources say more or less.

In 1964, Rankin/Bass made a hour long special, entitled Return to Oz, which featured the main cast of the series, except there features were more pronounced and Dorothy got a complete makeover to make her look like a real little girl.

Return To Oz, was released on DVD in 2006 by Sony's Classic Media company.

Check for new replies or respond here...