inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best 70's Duos

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/13/04 at 12:58 pm

Considering that we're talking about the 70's, I picked England Dan & John Ford Coley.... followed by Dan's brother's band Seals & Crofts.  8) 

Subject: Re: Best 70's Duos

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/13/04 at 1:05 pm

I picked McFadden and Whitheead b/c they helped create the sound of Philadelphia, which created so many great songs. For example, "Ain't No Stopping Us Now" is a great R&B song. I do love Seals and Crofts with "Summer Breeze", though. As for Hall and Oates, I'll say that they gained more popularity in the 80s than in the 70s, just like Simon and Garfunkel did in the 60s as opposed to the 70s.

Tanya

Written By: Paul on 10/13/04 at 1:13 pm

Fine acts all...but I went for...

Other - The Carpenters

...who, I suppose, weren't really a duo per se (they were augmented by a fully-fledged band), but they were always marketed that way...

And, of course, some great tunes by them...(no-one would've dared written that sentence some twenty years ago...!!)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/13/04 at 1:29 pm

Other - The Carpenters

...who, I suppose, weren't really a duo per se (they were augmented by a fully-fledged band), but they were always marketed that way...

And, of course, some great tunes by them...(no-one would've dared written that sentence some twenty years ago...!!)

Nice choice, Paul!  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/13/04 at 1:54 pm

Considering that we're talking about the 70's, I picked England Dan & John Ford Coley.... followed by Dan's brother's band Seals & Crofts.  8) 
Suprise, suprise! I picked the SAME! I'd have chosen Hall & Oates but they had minimal 70's hits like Sara Smile and "She's Gone...like Tanya said, they were more popular in the 80's. Now, as for a one-hit wonder dou....I love "Falling"  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/13/04 at 1:55 pm

Suprise, suprise! I picked the SAME! I'd have chosen Hall & Oates but they had minimal 70's hits like Sara Smile and "She's Gone...like Tanya said, they were more popular in the 80's. Now, as for a one-hit wonder dou....I love "Falling"  ;)

I totally agree with you.  8)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 10/13/04 at 5:05 pm

SIMON! AND! GARFUNKEL!!!

Written By: mandamoo on 10/15/04 at 7:02 am

Other - The Carpenters

Good one Paul ! They would be my second choice after Simon & Garfunkel. :)

Btw, know what you mean about admitting to it too ! You'd be considered a real 'dag' here 20 years ago, if you did ! :o

Great poll Karen  ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/15/04 at 8:31 am

Simon & Garfunkel, CF  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/15/04 at 11:49 am

Great poll Karen  ;)

Thanks, Manda!  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/15/04 at 11:51 am

Simon & Garfunkel, CF  :)

Hiya Fuss!

You know if this had been a 60's poll I would have picked Simon & Garfunkel, hands down.  I just love them!!  But to me they didn't really represent the '70's'.  I only included them because they did have a couple of hits in the early 70's.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/15/04 at 1:41 pm

I picked Simon and Garfunkel even though they are more from the 60s than the 70s. They were still going strong in the first part of the decade so my choice is valid.

Cat

Written By: lebeiw15 on 10/16/04 at 10:23 pm

You know if this had been a 60's poll I would have picked Simon & Garfunkel, hands down.  I just love them!!  But to me they didn't really represent the '70's'.  I only included them because they did have a couple of hits in the early 70's.  :)

My fave album of all time is theirs from the 70s, BOTW.  But I agree with what you're saying, too :)

Written By: Frankeneinstein on 10/17/04 at 12:50 pm

Again I had to go with other...........no Batman and Robin.... ;)

Written By: zcrito on 10/18/04 at 12:53 am

Nice work, CF. You've got them all, except for maybe one?

Do Elton John & Bernie Taupin count?

:)

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/18/04 at 12:58 am

i picked England Dan & John Ford Coley..followed by The Carpenters,Seals &Crofts,Hall & Oates,Simon & Garfunkel and Captain & Tenille..
Loggins& Messina are good too  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/18/04 at 1:40 pm

Loggins& Messina are good too  :)

Oops...how did I forget about them?  :-[

BTW, nice pick for favorite, ktelqueen!  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/18/04 at 1:43 pm

Nice work, CF. You've got them all, except for maybe one?

Do Elton John & Bernie Taupin count?

Thanks, zcrito!  ;)

You know, I wouldn't consider Elton and Bernie to be a duo because you never see Bernie's name in bright lights like you do Elton's.... :-\\

Written By: Frankeneinstein on 10/18/04 at 2:29 pm

Elton was part of a duet with Kiki Dee in the 70's

Written By: zcrito on 10/18/04 at 3:35 pm

Thanks, zcrito!  ;)

You know, I wouldn't consider Elton and Bernie to be a duo because you never see Bernie's name in bright lights like you do Elton's.... :-\\

Dang.
It's always the bright lights that get ya. :\'(

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/19/04 at 3:48 pm

Elton was part of a duet with Kiki Dee in the 70's

Elton did a duet with Kiki, but they were never regular recording partners.  :)

Written By: Marian on 10/19/04 at 4:02 pm

SIMON! AND! GARFUNKEL!!!
??? 8)well S&G broke upmfor the 1st time in 1970,so I guess they could be still 70s.

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/05 at 5:30 pm

Loggins & Messina

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 09/23/05 at 6:20 am

Hall and Oates

Check for new replies or respond here...