inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite All in the Family Episode

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/19/04 at 8:46 am

My all-time favorite episode was when they flashed back to Mike and Gloria's wedding day - that moment when Gloria yells down, "I'm waiting for Daddy" and then you hear the toilet flush is priceless!  ;D

Subject: Re: Favorite All in the Family Episode

Written By: Frankeneinstein on 10/19/04 at 11:03 am

My favorite episode was when Archie was trying to explain the fundamental differences Between men and women to "meathead" in a way that only Archie could.....
PARAPHRASING:

Arichie: It's been like that since da caveman ya meat head, men had longer legs so dey could chase down and catch women who had shorter legs, den dey would drag dem by the hair back to da cave!

Mike: OH YEAH! OH YEAH! Thats the most ridiculous thing I think you ever said

Archie: Don't look at me, it's just a fact and everyone but you knows it!

Mike: In that case, what about the men who had short legs Mr. know-it-all?

Archie: dems was yer first fegs

I hope no one take offense to the above "outtake"............ it's intended to show ignorance on the part of the Archie Bunkers of the world

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/19/04 at 12:22 pm

My favorite is the episode where Archie meets the Jeffersons and tries to prevent the families from having dinner together.

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 10/19/04 at 4:23 pm

When Sammy Davis Jr. stopped by to give Archie a kiss on the cheek. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 10/19/04 at 4:24 pm

My favorite is the episode where Archie meets the Jeffersons and tries to prevent the families from having dinner together.

Tanya

I remember that.George calls Archie a "honky". ;D

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/19/04 at 10:11 pm

I remember that.George calls Archie a "honky". ;D

Howard

Ha! Great show!

Tanya

Written By: zcrito on 10/19/04 at 10:56 pm

What about the one where Archie does the commentary on the local news and his topic is airline safety and highjackings. His solution: pass out guns when the passengers board the plane and then ask for them back when they leave.

;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/19/04 at 11:10 pm

What about the one where Archie does the commentary on the local news and his topic is airline safety and highjackings. His solution: pass out guns when the passengers board the plane and then ask for them back when they leave.

;D

Yeah, wasn't that the episode where he was so pro-gun until he got robbed by a couple of guys in Kelsey's?

Tanya

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/20/04 at 11:27 am

When Sammy Davis Jr. stopped by to give Archie a kiss on the cheek. ;D

Howard

Another funny part of that episode was where Archie tells Edith not to mention Sammy's glass eye, but when they're serving coffee, Archie's the one who slips up and says, "Cream and sugar in your eye?"

Written By: Howard on 10/20/04 at 6:40 pm

When Edith's relatives arrive for a visit and Edith's relative looks exactly like her. ;D

when cousin Stephanie comes over to stay at Uncle Archie.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 10/20/04 at 6:41 pm

Another funny part of that episode was where Archie tells Edith not to mention Sammy's glass eye, but when they're serving coffee, Archie's the one who slips up and says, "Cream and sugar in your eye?"

Yeah,I remember that. ;D

Howard

Written By: Davester on 10/24/04 at 8:16 am

Of the ones I can remember...the episode wherein Gloria miscarries her first baby.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/04 at 8:21 am

The saddest episode that I can barely remember is when someone tries to rape Edith in her house and also The death of Edith in 1981. :(

Howard

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/24/04 at 8:23 am

The episode when Mike and Gloria move to California was sad to watch too.  That was originallly intended to be the last episode of
All in the Family, but Carroll O'Connor and Jean Stapleton agreed to do one more season and that's when they brougt Stephanie onboard.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/04 at 8:26 am

The episode when Mike and Gloria move to California was sad to watch too.  That was originallly intended to be the last episode of
All in the Family, but Carroll O'Connor and Jean Stapleton agreed to do one more season and that's when they brougt Stephanie onboard.

What was the name of his pub when Stephanie moved in? ???

Howard

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/24/04 at 8:29 am

I think it was called Archie's Place - they changed it to Archie Bunker's Place, of course, when that show went on the air.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/04 at 8:38 am

I think it was called Archie's Place - they changed it to Archie Bunker's Place, of course, when that show went on the air.

So,when did Archie Bunker's Place get canceled? ???

Howard

Written By: eightiesfan on 10/24/04 at 8:39 am

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/27/04 at 5:06 pm

I liked when Archie and Maude squared off and she'd leave in a huff when he started talking about "Franklin Delenore Roosevelt"  :D ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/27/04 at 7:04 pm

How about the episode where Edith passes away? That was a touching story. :(
But it was sad to see her get written off the show. :(

Howard

Written By: Davester on 10/29/04 at 12:24 am

How about the episode where Edith passes away? That was a touching story. :(
But it was sad to see her get written off the show. :(

Howard

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Edith's death off-screen, which is to say not the subject of any one episode?  Best I can remember, Edith's death is referred to but once, by Archie, in an episode of the spin-off Archie Bunker's Place.

Written By: Howard on 10/29/04 at 7:04 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Edith's death off-screen, which is to say not the subject of any one episode?  Best I can remember, Edith's death is referred to but once, by Archie, in an episode of the spin-off Archie Bunker's Place.

I don't remember Dave, But,I would have to watch it when it comes on again on TVLand.

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 10/29/04 at 7:58 pm

Like most sitcoms All in the Family's best shows were probably in its first 4 years. Most sitcoms can't really last past 4 years and I think AITF got 9 years. I think things went downhill around the time Mike and Gloria moved out of the house.

Any favorite show for me will always be the early ones.

Now "Seinfeld" is a whole different story. It's one of those sitcoms where the early ones are some of the worst.

:)

Written By: thirtysumtin on 01/26/05 at 5:29 pm

I don't recall the episode's name, but the Bunker family was eating out at a restaurant because their fridge was on the blink. At dinner, Archie and Meathead argue over the events earlier that day concerning their appliance repairmen, so it's a series of flashbacks to earlier in the day as each tells his version. The repairmen consisted of a white guy and a black guy, who apparently were so busy that day that they skipped lunch. It's Archie's interaction with the black guy of course, that is the focal point of the argument, especially concerning a point where the guy gets an apple from his pocket and begins to eat it while the white guy is working scrunched down behind the fridge.

Archie makes like the black guy pulled a switchblade on him and threatened his life.
  Meathead makes the guy to be this whipped "Uncle Tom"-esque guy who was cowed by the slightest look from Archie and denies he ever had a knife at all.

As usual, Edith winds up in the unenviable position of arbiter; thus, she tells the story as it really was. In the process, she pulls out the "switchblade" that the guy "pulled" on Archie; a tiny swiss army job that you could get in a bubble gum machine back in the day that the guy accidentally left behind. She further clarifies that the only time the black guy became upset with Archie was when he called him boy. "Hey, I don't like that. You called me a boy. I'm not a boy, I'm a MAN". Too funny, that line rings clear as day in my memory. Well, since the knife wasn't a switchblade, Archie loses the bet with Meathead; but since Meathead said there was never a knife produced by the repairman, he was wrong too so no one won the bet when it was measured up against Edith's verson of things.

Don't know why, but that one stands out very much in my memory. Great show though.

Written By: Butterball on 01/26/05 at 6:31 pm

I liked the episode about the swastika. They blew up a guys car at the end. :-[ The guy called Archie "Bubby".

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/26/05 at 7:03 pm

Before that it was Kelso's Bar and Grill, then Kelso died and Archie bought it.

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/27/05 at 7:22 am

I don't recall the episode's name, but the Bunker family was eating out at a restaurant because their fridge was on the blink. At dinner, Archie and Meathead argue over the events earlier that day concerning their appliance repairmen, so it's a series of flashbacks to earlier in the day as each tells his version. The repairmen consisted of a white guy and a black guy, who apparently were so busy that day that they skipped lunch. It's Archie's interaction with the black guy of course, that is the focal point of the argument, especially concerning a point where the guy gets an apple from his pocket and begins to eat it while the white guy is working scrunched down behind the fridge.

Archie makes like the black guy pulled a switchblade on him and threatened his life.
  Meathead makes the guy to be this whipped "Uncle Tom"-esque guy who was cowed by the slightest look from Archie and denies he ever had a knife at all.

As usual, Edith winds up in the unenviable position of arbiter; thus, she tells the story as it really was. In the process, she pulls out the "switchblade" that the guy "pulled" on Archie; a tiny swiss army job that you could get in a bubble gum machine back in the day that the guy accidentally left behind. She further clarifies that the only time the black guy became upset with Archie was when he called him boy. "Hey, I don't like that. You called me a boy. I'm not a boy, I'm a MAN". Too funny, that line rings clear as day in my memory. Well, since the knife wasn't a switchblade, Archie loses the bet with Meathead; but since Meathead said there was never a knife produced by the repairman, he was wrong too so no one won the bet when it was measured up against Edith's verson of things.

Don't know why, but that one stands out very much in my memory. Great show though.

The funniest part about that episode is seeing the different scenarios from Mike & Archie's points of view - Mike makes Archie out to be this growling bear while Archie portrays himself as a milquetoast being railed at by the overly sensitive Mike.  ;D

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/30/05 at 4:06 pm

I thought the best episode was where Archie and George's relative fight over what color God is. They end up giving each other the rasberries in each other's faces, it was hillarious!

Written By: Sunflower on 01/30/05 at 5:36 pm

I actually have 2 fav episodes. One funny. One Sad. I haven't seen it in awhile so I don't remember the exact words but I remember the family sitting around the dinner table and Edith is in the middle of her change of life and Archie says something like change now and get it over with...something like that...and the sad one happens after Edith dies and Archie is sitting on the bed and finds Edith's slippers....it was definitely a tear jerker scene....

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/31/05 at 7:18 am

I heard something interesting at another messageboard I visit regularly - CBS wanted to do a tenth season of All in the Family for the 1979-80 season, but Jean Stapleton said she would only appear in a handful of episodes so they came up with the idea from that to
'Archie Bunker's Place'.

Written By: snoops71 on 02/12/05 at 2:40 am

I didn't know that. It was a very sad episode to watch, and still is. :\'( I read it took 2 hours to tape the last part.

Written By: snoops71 on 02/12/05 at 2:42 am

I liked when Archie and Maude squared off and she'd leave in a huff when he started talking about "Franklin Delenore Roosevelt"  :D ;D

Now, that one was funny! ;D I saw it earlier tonight on TV Land.

Subject: Favorite All in the Family Episode

Written By: Dude111 on 09/13/22 at 7:59 pm

Too hard for me to decide,I dont think there is an episode I dont like ;D

Well maybe the one with the swingers,that one was stupid........

I think The Elevator Story is 1 of my favourites anyway :)

Check for new replies or respond here...