inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does Anyone Remember The Bicentennial?

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/26/04 at 11:27 pm

The British might disagree, but the Bicentennial (1976) was a big deal when we lived in Fort Meade, Maryland, mainly because of Fort MCHenry and the Star Spangled Banner. Our school had a bunch of displays with Colonial themes. And of course, lots of marching bands and fireworks. Did anything stand out in that year?

Subject: Re: Does Anyone Remember The Bicentennial?

Written By: zcrito on 10/26/04 at 11:54 pm

The British might disagree, but the Bicentennial (1976) was a big deal when we lived in Fort Meade, Maryland, mainly because of Fort MCHenry and the Star Spangled Banner. Our school had a bunch of displays with Colonial themes. And of course, lots of marching bands and fireworks. Did anything stand out in that year?

Did anything stand out in that year or month?

Yes!
I remember opening the local paper one morning around that time and seeing something that totally amazed me -- pictures of  Mars' surface. Two U.S. landers, the Viking 1 & 2,  landed on Mars around July of that year and sent back some of the first ever pictures of that planet's surface. They were incredible photographs and they really took me by surprise since I hadn't been following anything of that mission.

http://www.solarviews.com/thumb/mars/vlpan22.gif

http://www.solarviews.com/thumb/mars/vlpan12.gif

???

:)

Written By: fragswife on 10/27/04 at 12:36 am

wow z...  brings me back

say do I know you from somewhere?  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 10/27/04 at 12:50 am

I remember witnessing a spectacular fireworks display on July 4, 1976.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/04 at 11:04 am

I remember "2000 years ago today"-the 1 or 2 minute segment they had on t.v. every day for about a year which had a different celebrety everyday. I also remember the Bicentennial coins (still have some).

A personal note: That day, I was home alone with one of my sisters who was sick. One of my other sisters called me to tell me to her at the beach (about 10 blocks from our house)-it was a long walk but I have done it before. I asked my sister if she wanted to, too but she didn't want to get out of bed. So, I went on without her. I met two of my sisters at the beach with a bunch of their friends. I kept thinking about the sister home in bed-knowing that this was a once in a lifetime celebration and she was sick. So that is what I remember about the Bicentennial-my sister being sick.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/27/04 at 2:15 pm

Sure do...anyone still have this coin :)

Written By: Paul on 10/27/04 at 2:33 pm

From a Limey viewpoint, I do vaguely remember a short season of 'All-American' programmes (ranging from documentaries to cartoons, and the like) being aired on our TV to mark the bi-centennial...

Some papers also carried some rather lush supplements on the whole shebang...

But, not wishing to sound crass, that was about it...sour grapes in being booted out of the country, I suppose...!!

I think I can safely say that if you ask any Brit old enough about the one thing they remember about 1976, they'll say 'the drought...'

Written By: zcrito on 10/27/04 at 3:14 pm

wow z...  brings me back

say do I know you from somewhere?  :)

Hey, are you stalking me?? :o

Welcome aboard. :)
This is a great message board that's easy to use, has a lot of nice features and has many,many users and subjects.

Later...

P.S.
I'll "see" you over at T40DBdotNet every now and then.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/04 at 7:09 pm

Sorry,I don't remember.I was only 2 years old at the time. :(

Howard

Written By: gord on 10/27/04 at 7:20 pm

I remember the year well, as a Canadian having the olympics in Montreal made it a memoral year. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/04 at 8:14 pm

Well, if you READ my post... ;)  Being a coin collector, OF COURSE! I also have some Susan B. Anthonys too.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 10/27/04 at 8:29 pm

Well, if you READ my post... ;)  Being a coin collector, OF COURSE! I also have some Susan B. Anthonys too.

Cat
Cool...you might enjoy this link then
http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/usa.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/04 at 12:50 pm

Cool...you might enjoy this link then
http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/usa.html

Thanks for the link but that just gives a basic discription of coins. I'm a little beyond that point. I'm to the point of grade, cost, mint marks, worth, etc. I think at this point, I know enough NOT to get ripped off (unlike when I first started).

Sorry for going off-topic a bit.

Cat

Written By: Mona on 10/28/04 at 1:09 pm

Sorry,I don't remember.I was only 2 years old at the time. :(

Howard

You're just a baby.  :D

Written By: Howard on 10/28/04 at 7:14 pm

You're just a baby.   :D

Everybody in here is mostly older than I am.I was just a little baby in my crib ;D

Howard

Written By: Sammy Reed on 10/28/04 at 9:41 pm

Yeah, I remember the bicentennial. I turned 7 years old that year.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 10/29/04 at 9:23 am

I remember it !  The Australian bicentennial in 1988  :)

Sorry, Indy, I do not recall yours.  News in those days took longer than microseconds to make it down here  :)

Written By: karen on 10/29/04 at 10:27 am

I think I can safely say that if you ask any Brit old enough about the one thing they remember about 1976, they'll say 'the drought...'

I remember the year well, as a Canadian having the olympics in Montreal made it a memoral year. :)

These are the two things I can remember about 1976.  I think that was the year I had my first watch as well  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 10/29/04 at 6:59 pm

1976 was also the year I started riding my baby bike. :)

Howard

Written By: kairi747 on 11/08/04 at 11:35 am

I was finger painting on my grandparents porch with my sister and our friend at 2:00 when the church bells rang!  :)

God Bless America!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/08/04 at 11:37 am

Sorry, I wasn't born until December 1976. My husband was born 9 days after the Bicentennial, though!  ;D

Tanya

Written By: Mordor on 11/08/04 at 8:00 pm

I graduated elementary school in '76 ;D

Written By: AL-B on 11/12/04 at 1:56 pm

I was 5 at the time, and I can remember seeing American flags with "76" in place of the 50 stars. About the other thing I can really remember was standing next to a miniature Burlington Northern train before the July 4th parade, and thinking that was really cool.

Written By: Marian on 11/19/04 at 8:48 pm

:DI have one of those somewhere,as well as non Bicentennial Eisenhower dollars.I laso have some quarters.Cheers!

Written By: Butterball on 02/25/16 at 8:18 pm

In 1976 the Dallas Cowboys added a red stripe to their helmet to make the 3 stripes red, white, and blue...where as usually the 3 stripes were blue, white, and blue.

Check for new replies or respond here...