inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Marathon Bar

Written By: AL-B on 11/12/04 at 4:59 pm

Back in the 70's, there was this ropy (and VERY chewy) hard caramel bar (shaped like a DNA double-helix) covered in chocolate and it took FOREVER to eat, and it was called a Marathon Bar. I remember seeing commercials where a dashing cowboy was supposed to heroically save the day in various situations but he'd always show up too late because he wasted too much time trying to gnaw through that damned Marathon Bar. Anyone else remember this?

Subject: Re: Marathon Bar

Written By: Marian on 11/12/04 at 5:03 pm

Back in the 70's, there was this ropy (and VERY chewy) hard caramel bar (shaped like a DNA double-helix) covered in chocolate and it took FOREVER to eat, and it was called a Marathon Bar. I remember seeing commercials where a dashing cowboy was supposed to heroically save the day in various situations but he'd always show up too late because he wasted too much time trying to gnaw through that darned Marathon Bar. Anyone else remember this?
Yeah i do :DI wonder why they stopped making them.They're no worse for your teeth than jolly rancher.I remember the big bars cost 25 ce nts--a lot in thoise days,ans someone gave the big ones for halloween!Cheers!@

Written By: AL-B on 11/12/04 at 5:09 pm

I guess they still make something similar in the UK called a "Curly Wurly."

Written By: gemini61 on 11/12/04 at 5:27 pm

I remember the Marathon Bar. It was soooo chewy, it took forever to eat. Does anyone remember the long bubble gum called Bubs Daddy? I think thats right  :-\\ They had grape and cherry. I loved those things. And we also used to buy the long pixie sticks. I know they still make those, but I don't know about the bubble gum  :-\\

Written By: Paul on 11/12/04 at 6:45 pm

I guess they still make something similar in the UK called a "Curly Wurly."

Not sure whether it's still going, but yes - it sounds to all intents and purposes a 'Curly Wurly'...

A 'Marathon' bar over here was something entirely different - it was a chocolate covered nougat thing with a layer of caramel and stuffed to the brim with peanuts...

Some time ago, to the utter dismay of people my age or thereabouts, the thing's name was changed to 'Snickers'...

Here's a pic of one I ate earlier, and dig that crazy price...!!

Written By: Howard on 11/12/04 at 7:45 pm

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/images/oldpix/marathon-bar.jpg

Here's another picture of The Marathon Bar.It looks tasty.  :)

Howard

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 11/16/04 at 12:08 am

I always thought those were great.  Too bad they dont make them anymore.  :(

Written By: Howard on 11/16/04 at 5:12 pm

Would candy stores around me happen to still sell The Marathon Bar? ???

Howard

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/17/04 at 12:14 am

i grew up with WigWag bars(canadian version)..a chocolate-covered caramel braid in a white wrapper..yum  :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/17/04 at 2:12 am

Yep

Over here they were called Curly-Wurly's too  :)

Written By: mandamoo on 11/17/04 at 4:41 am

Yep

Over here they were called Curly-Wurly's too :)

Yummo  :D

http://www.aussiefavourites.com.au/images/bl0006.jpg

Written By: eightiesfan on 11/17/04 at 10:01 am

Mars stopped making the Marathon Bar in 1981 due to low sales - I remember eating them on long car trips as a little kid.  :)

Written By: onaree on 11/17/04 at 4:19 pm

I used to love these!  There was one kind of candy bar in our area that was a lot like the Marathon bar but I think it was called Snake in the Grass.  It was the braid, too. 

Written By: Marian on 11/19/04 at 8:45 pm

I used to love these!  There was one kind of candy bar in our area that was a lot like the Marathon bar but I think it was called Snake in the Grass.  It was the braid, too. 
;) :o :D"Snake in the Grass"???hee hee hee!

Written By: hotsauce on 11/28/04 at 9:50 pm

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/curly-wurly.htm

I was looking for marathon bars this evening and found this web sight , its an alternitive to the marathon bar

Written By: ktelqueen on 11/29/04 at 1:20 am

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/curly-wurly.htm
I was looking for marathon bars this evening and found this web sight , its an alternitive to the marathon bar

swoon-that IS a Wigwag bar with a different wrapper..what i wouldn't give...

Check for new replies or respond here...