inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Alicia Bridges

Written By: acshore86 on 11/24/04 at 7:53 pm

Great news!

For those of you who liked the powerful and belting voice of disco diva Alicia Bridges - who sang "I Love The Night Life" - I have actually found out what happend to her.

Apparently, after her 2 Polydor albums were released, both with not-so-high reviews, Alicia dropped out of the music business in the early 1980's, and started doing DJ/VJ-ing back in Atlanta, GA; where she is from. In 1984, she released her last LP "Hocus Pocus," but that too flopped. So she has since then stuck to DJ/VJ-ing, and in the early or mid-1990's began working at a well-known gay club in Atlanta, called The Otherside; of course... as a DJ. It is also a notorious place for being bombed in 1997, by gay-basher Eric Rudolph. According to one of her ex-colaborators, Aron Siegel, she was there when the bomb went off! Apparently, she still works there.

For those who have gotten wrong info on Bridges' birthdate, here it is:

July 15, 1953
Lawndale, NC

Also... if you want to get intouch with her... go to her official website:  www.aliciabridges.com

Subject: Re: Alicia Bridges

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 11/26/04 at 8:55 am

Interesting info, Acshore

So what you are saying is the club, like her career, bombed  :o

Sorry, it is late and I am tired  ;) :P

Written By: Howard on 11/26/04 at 6:26 pm

http://www.aliciabridges.com/Alicia1_touchup_WEB.jpg

She works in a gay bar? :o

Was she mistaken for a lesbian? ;D

Howard

Written By: adam white on 02/22/05 at 10:13 pm

[hi,

i was reading you news on alicia bridges.do you have an address for the otherside nighclub. i have an idea to a new possible album for alicia.

so please acshore86. let me know.

regards,
adam white

Written By: Rosemary on 03/10/05 at 11:35 am

Um, actually you are wrong.  She was born in 1947.  She is not from Atlanta.  She did live there for a while, but now she lives in Columbia with her girlfriend.  She is my aunt, and she sucks.  She is a drug addict and a liar.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/05 at 1:42 pm

Alicia Bridges is your aunt? Would you happen to have any proof on that? ::)

Howard

Written By: gout1 on 03/10/05 at 6:49 pm

well I can vouch for the drug stuff.

I went to school in atlanta and my roomate was friends with her ( he was gay). they both worked at a head shop down the street I think it was on cheshire bridge road..can't remember the name.. (drug paraphanelia...tie dyes..etc) they did crystal meth alot ( he was a DJ also) and I smoked pot with her at least twice. I was 19 at the time and thought it was cool hanging out with her. she showed me her tapes w/ videos and tv appearances. (grammys and dick clark if I remember)

she also showed me how to  properly pot a plant!

this was around 1988-89 in Atlanta.

I don't see why he would lie. its not like she is janet jackson or anything.

Written By: A. Taylor on 03/15/05 at 1:08 am

Um, actually you are wrong.  She was born in 1947.  She is not from Atlanta.  She did live there for a while, but now she lives in Columbia with her girlfriend.  She is my aunt, and she sucks.  She is a drug addict and a liar.

NIce thing to say about your " Aunt " ?  I am a distant relative to Alicia  from her Grandmother's side. I have no idea how you are related to her for I don't remember how many children Miles and Gloria had.  Her mother could sing like an angel when she was in  high school  . My favorite Aunt from Lawndale  was close to Alicia. If Alicia had problems  and that you recognized  it, you should have helped her , not to put her out in cyber space because you have a hang up about her.
Let her live her life the way she wants to.

Written By: gout on 03/16/05 at 4:57 am

um...so why didn't YOUR favorite aunt who was so close to her do anything?

You know it's easy to say " you should have done something", but then you said "Let her live her life the way she wants to", So how much do YOU care about the situation?  Rosemary didn't say SHE was close to her, or CARED about her for that matter. no matter if someone is related to someone or not, people are who people are. IF my uncle was racist or stabbed someone for example, I'm still related to him, but I would not have a problem stating he was scum..to anyone..anywhere. Sometimes people would rather distance themselves from troublesome relatives than make an effort to help them.

I am not assuming I know what went down with Rosemary, but stating Alicia is a Drug Addict and liar in a small forum on the web is not much of a crime in my book, especially if Rosemary actually feels that way.Free speech, free forum...talk away!

I know from  first hand experience that ALicia did drugs..and someone who is addicted to drugs (especially highly addictive drugs) will go pretty far to get more drugs. It comes with the territory. Especially if she has been doing them as long as she has. It also effects the people around them. IF she is REALLLY addicted, she would lie and steal to get them.

A. Taylor, I can also understand why you would stick up for your distant relative. For the simple fact that she is a relative, distant or not. Well, just remember not all people are going to stick up for someone just because they are part of their family in some small way. The closer you are to someone, the more it hurts when they screw you over. telling someone to keep it on the "down low" and not talk about it on a forum is pretty ridiculous. It ain't gonna happen.

Written By: DC on 03/24/05 at 10:24 am

Where is she now?  I have something she sent me when I was a DJ back in the 70's & 80's.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 03/27/05 at 11:48 am

Yeah..that was one of my favourite songs to jig about to in the 70's early 80's..
"I l-o-v-e the nightlife..I gotta boogie...on the disco etc etc  GREAT voice.

Written By: Beth on 04/01/05 at 11:42 am

Actually, I'm glad someone straighted the facts on Alicia Bridges. I am from the Shelby/Lawndale area and I was born in November of 1952 and since Alicia used to work with my mom at a local newspaper, I know for a fact she was NOT born in 1953!  LOL.. 1947 does  sound more like it! Alicia has a younger sister (Slyvia) who was in college with me and who is a little older than I am so I know Alicia was a few years older.  Back when I knew her, she sang mostly ballads and folks songs.  Its amazing to me how far she got on that one BIG song! To this day, I still think "THE" epitome of disco music was "I Love The Nightlife"!  I had wondered what happened to Alicia but have not gone to too much trouble to find out. My cousin was really good friends with Sylvia and it wouldn't take much effort to find out, but I've just been too lazy.  :)  I hope she's doing well.. and I hope the drug stories are exageraexaggerated they ARE true, I also hope she gets herself straightened out.  My husband is a DJ and I just recently found another song Alicia did that I like.. but I know nothing about it except the name.. which is "Body Heat".

Alicia Bridges is your aunt? Would you happen to have any proof on that? ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 04/01/05 at 2:20 pm

Actually, I'm glad someone straighted the facts on Alicia Bridges. I am from the Shelby/Lawndale area and I was born in November of 1952 and since Alicia used to work with my mom at a local newspaper, I know for a fact she was NOT born in 1953!  LOL.. 1947 does  sound more like it! Alicia has a younger sister (Slyvia) who was in college with me and who is a little older than I am so I know Alicia was a few years older.  Back when I knew her, she sang mostly ballads and folks songs.  Its amazing to me how far she got on that one BIG song! To this day, I still think "THE" epitome of disco music was "I Love The Nightlife"!  I had wondered what happened to Alicia but have not gone to too much trouble to find out. My cousin was really good friends with Sylvia and it wouldn't take much effort to find out, but I've just been too lazy.  :)  I hope she's doing well.. and I hope the drug stories are exageraexaggerated they ARE true, I also hope she gets herself straightened out.  My husband is a DJ and I just recently found another song Alicia did that I like.. but I know nothing about it except the name.. which is "Body Heat".

So,you'd be Beth Bridges by any chance? ???

Written By: busibeth on 04/01/05 at 2:47 pm

So,you'd be Beth Bridges by any chance? ???

Nope.. sorry...  :)    But my mom grew up near Lawndale.. and its a tiny, tiny community where everyone knows everyone else...So our families DID know each other pretty well...

Written By: Howard on 04/01/05 at 3:12 pm

Nope.. sorry...  :)    But my mom grew up near Lawndale.. and its a tiny, tiny community where everyone knows everyone else...So our families DID know each other pretty well...

So,you're not a Bridges? ???

Written By: The Girlfriend on 07/31/05 at 9:34 pm

Can't believe that a niece of Alicia's would spend time in cyberspace talking trash about her aunt. Rosemary is a very confused young girl that would not have been alive in the 70s and 80s. As many of you know who were of age back then (or sneaking in if you were underage), we were frequenting Discos where many people were boogieing and doing drugs.

Rosemary should probably ask her mother, Sylvia if she ever did any drugs, too. Hmmm...everyone that did not do drugs in the 70s and 80s, please stand up. So you say you didn't; either you are a nun, or a liar, or were 2 young 2 boogie at the time. And please, if Rosemary writes back and says that her mother never did drugs, then she is really out there (Rosemary, remember the Thanksgiving we spent at Snowhill with your family, I will say no more).

Alicia is alive and well in Columbia SC were we moved a year ago from Atlanta. She does not drink, do drugs, or any other mind altering substances. She has her own studio where she spins to her hearts content. She is happy and at peace now, which is partially due to not having any contact with her some of her family members; anyone reading Rosemary's email would understand why. But for the most part her happiness is due to being surrounded by people that love her dearly and know her to be the sweet wonderful person that she has always has been.

And who am I, well the girlfriend that knew Alicia since 1984 (we have been together since 1999) when she was spinning records in an Atlanta nightclub and no, not the Otherside but a club called the Sportspage. After that she DJed in other clubs in Atlanta, but never the Otherside (Uglyside). Alicia has also performed countless benefits for aids awareness and until recently was still singing at select venues. Oh and Rosemary, your aunt was born in 1948. Just thought I would set the record straight or should I say gayly forward... 

Peace

Check for new replies or respond here...