inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fingerpops?

Written By: nerd on 11/25/04 at 1:07 pm

Hello
My wife insists there was a toy when she was growing up (late 1970s or early 1980s) called "Fingerpops" (maybe two words) They came in blister packs of 5 or 6.  They were little cylinders of nerf- or styrofoam- tpye material and you would squeeze them inbetween your fingers and they would shoot off across the room.  They were NOT the Fingerblasters or other similar toys that had anelastic or rubber loop and you would shoot them like a rubberband.
Has anyone every heard of these or is my wife hallucinating?
Thanks

Subject: Re: Fingerpops?

Written By: Davester on 11/26/04 at 12:00 am

She's not hallucinating...

I remember these, as well, and owned a pack or two of them...

Like you described, they were, oh, maybe two inches long and cylindrical in shape made from a styrofoam-like material that would regain it's shape after being "popped" by pinching the edges and sort of letting it slip out of your fingers.  Always accompanied by a dull "pop" or "snap" sound.  They might fly a few feet, might not...  Pick up "popper" and repeat until maximum giddiness acheived...

For the life of me I cannot fathom why these things were so popular.  My friends and I all had them, though.

Kinda like "Pet Rocks", I suppose, but more "fun"...

Written By: karen on 11/26/04 at 7:40 am

I remember my brother getting a set of these when he went to uni.  That would make it more like early 80's.

I can't recall the name of the ones he got but seem to think it began with a D.  His were blue and white and came in a set of three, from memory.

Written By: Davester on 11/26/04 at 9:45 am

Suppose these things lasted into the 80's...go fig...

For me, these are strictly an animal of the mid/late 70's and just marginal enough (as toys go) to sneak into the shopping cart when mom wasn't looking...

"Finger Poppers"--->http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/5592/v62/image.orientaltrading.com/images/39_1790.jpg?resize(250x250)

Edit: Just discovered the first "t" missing in strictly...

Written By: nerd on 11/26/04 at 10:24 am

Woa, I searched the web for hours and couldn't find a single mention of these (did I get the name wrong).  You folks even found a picture!
Is there any where these could be purchased nowadays?
Thanks

Written By: Davester on 11/26/04 at 10:41 am

Woa, I searched the web for hours and couldn't find a single mention of these (did I get the name wrong).  You folks even found a picture!
Is there any where these could be purchased nowadays?
Thanks

Yes, they can be purchased on the cheap.  In fact, the pic above is linked from an online "party favors" business that sells the things.

Follow this link and get poppin', man...

No pics of the packaging, unfortunately...

Written By: karen on 11/26/04 at 12:12 pm

But beware which page you click on if you merely Google "finger poppers"  :o :o

Written By: Howard on 11/26/04 at 6:23 pm

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/5592/v62/image.orientaltrading.com/images/16_486.jpg?resize(250x250)

I remember those.I would have fun playing with them. ;D

Howard

Written By: nerd on 12/30/04 at 2:12 pm

Davester you rock! I'm gonna order a few...

Check for new replies or respond here...