inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What wre we all wanting in the 70s?

Written By: venice on 11/30/04 at 10:13 pm

My 12 year old son asked me what sort of "technology" we were all wanting in the 70s. I tried to explain that there wasn't anything like there is now. But we were wanting waterbeds, calculators, eight tracks,  and digital watches. What else? Help me!!!

Subject: Re: What wre we all wanting in the 70s?

Written By: Frankeneinstein on 11/30/04 at 10:23 pm

My 12 year old son asked me what sort of "technology" we were all wanting in the 70s. I tried to explain that there wasn't anything like there is now. But we were wanting waterbeds, calculators, eight tracks,  and digital watches. What else? Help me!!!

Looking back at it from todays perspective it may not seem like such a big deal, but I think the invention that had the most far reaching effect was the hand held blow drier.

Written By: Allie Fox on 11/30/04 at 10:43 pm

ATARI

Long Live PONG!!!

Written By: bj26 on 12/01/04 at 8:30 am

I wanted a nice stereo set with big heavy speakers, expensive turntable, and one of those Teac tape decks.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/01/04 at 8:48 am

I laugh now, but I thought Cassette Recorders were far out, as prior to that we had a big clunky reel to reel tape recorder  :)

Written By: karen on 12/01/04 at 12:10 pm

We had one of those games you plugged in to your TV and thought it was cool.  You could play tennis and football and everything!

I wanted to have a Mickey Mouse telephone.  Come to that I wanted our house to have a phone!

We were one of the first on our street to get a freezer, that would be in about 1977/78

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/01/04 at 12:14 pm

I laugh now, but I thought Cassette Recorders were far out, as prior to that we had a big clunky reel to reel tape recorder  :)

I know exactly what you're talking about!  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/04 at 12:32 pm

Ah yes, the good old 8-track. Technology at its best? (or is that worse?).  Even at the time I thought it sucked because I like to listen to just a few songs off an album and there was no such thing as fast-forward or rewind on an 8-track-not to mention how the tracks would change in the middle of a song.  >:(

What I wanted was a color t.v. Now, that was great technology. We finally got one about 1976/77.

Cat

Written By: gord on 12/01/04 at 4:13 pm

Ah yes, the good old 8-track. Technology at its best? (or is that worse?).  Even at the time I thought it sucked because I like to listen to just a few songs off an album and there was no such thing as fast-forward or rewind on an 8-track-not to mention how the tracks would change in the middle of a song.  >:(

What I wanted was a color t.v. Now, that was great technology. We finally got one about 1976/77.

Cat

didn't ya love 8-tracks, have way through a song and click-click.  ;D
cassettes were great at the time, we'd make our own mixed ones off the radio.
and I think it was about the same time that my family got a colour tv.
a bicycle with more than one speed and hand brakes was a leap forward as a kid :)

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 7:17 pm

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/img/product_shots/C4491_b_1.jpg

Fisher Price's Viewmaster.Anyone remember the old clunky red Viewmasters you used to have? ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 7:20 pm

Cat

I remember the 8-Track.That was annoying.It always changed in the middle of a song.back then,there wasn't no such thing as FF or REW buttons.Those were the good old days. :)

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/01/04 at 8:06 pm

didn't ya love 8-tracks, have way through a song and click-click.  ;D

The funny thing is, the albums I used to listen to on 8-track that I still listen to now on CD, in my mind I can STILL hear that d@mn click where it was in the song.  ::) :( :-\\

Cat

Written By: Marian on 12/01/04 at 9:06 pm

:-\\I wanted to wear glamorous clothes like they did in the "old" days---30s,40s,and 50s.Jewelry with all the rhinestones,cashmere cardigans,full skirts,etc.Anything but what was currently being worn--can you say polyester overload? :PCheers!

Written By: Howard on 12/02/04 at 4:35 pm

ATARI

Long Live PONG!!!

I wanted Atari in the 80's.

Howard

Written By: Banks on 12/02/04 at 4:47 pm

Well, I was only 8 years old in 1980, but I remember in the 70's I wanted a Pong video game consol, a colour TV, Star Wars figures and vehicles, all the Smurf figurines, a car radio (we didnt get one of those til about 1979, a cassette player (complete with the Grease soundtrack), a REAL light saber, a BMX bike with "tough spokes" OR if I hd to have normal spokes then I wanted some Spokey Dokeys (the colourful beads you put on the spokes of a pushbike), a Night-Glow Racing car set, and a poster of Suzie Quatro clad in leather.

I got some of those things, but mostly I had to wait til the 80's for them.

There were more things I wanted...but thats all I can remember right now.

Alright Now

Written By: zcrito on 12/02/04 at 10:28 pm

A Garrard or Dual turntable, Kenwood receiver, and maybe a Quadraphonic sound system.

:)

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/03/04 at 8:55 am

Back in the 70's, a microwave was a novel concept to me.  My mom didn't get one until 1985.

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/03/04 at 9:54 am

I've got a 1980 Sears Wish Book that has a Kenmore microwave oven for 429 clams.  :o

And that was marked down from $539.00. ???

Written By: mitch1987 on 12/03/04 at 1:32 pm

Always wanted an ATARI and we finally got one in about 1980 or 1981. I found an add for Atari in a 1978 sears wishbook that I have. I remember staring at this add (and many others) forever. It lists the ATARI system at 339.98 (Canadian). Thats about 930.00 in todays money!! No wonder it took a while for our family to get one. Other items on the list would be six million dollar man man toys, planet of the apes anything, NHL table top hockey, and like everyone else a new stereo with quadraphonic sound. As for stuff we thought was futuristic..the calculator. I still remember someone bringing one to school (it was a Texus Instruments one) and everyone gathering around in awe at the little digits  :P. What dreams the future held.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/04 at 4:52 pm

Always wanted an ATARI and we finally got one in about 1980 or 1981. I found an add for Atari in a 1978 sears wishbook that I have. I remember staring at this add (and many others) forever. It lists the ATARI system at 339.98 (Canadian). Thats about 930.00 in todays money!! No wonder it took a while for our family to get one. Other items on the list would be six million dollar man man toys, planet of the apes anything, NHL table top hockey, and like everyone else a new stereo with quadraphonic sound. As for stuff we thought was futuristic..the calculator. I still remember someone bringing one to school (it was a Texus Instruments one) and everyone gathering around in awe at the little digits  :P. What dreams the future held.

I always wanted an Atari cause it was compact and easy to carry and assemble.I didn't get one till the 80's came along.

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...