inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fat Albert Coming to the Big Screen

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/01/04 at 11:14 am

I went to see Polar Express a couple of weeks ago and saw a movie trailer for Fat Albert - it's going to be kind of similar to the
Brady Bunch movie in that the characters are living in the present day but seem to be stuck in the 70's.  Bill Cosby has a cameo in it and it's supposed to open around Christmas.  :)

I'd like to go see it when it comes out since I used to love Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids as a child - I remember in one of my grade schools they used to show Fat Albert short films on the projector (in the pre-VCR era) as educational tools.

Subject: Re: Fat Albert Coming to the Big Screen

Written By: Elvis on 12/01/04 at 11:25 am

I went to see Polar Express a couple of weeks ago and saw a movie trailer for Fat Albert - it's going to be kind of similar to the
Brady Bunch movie in that the characters are living in the present day but seem to be stuck in the 70's.  Bill Cosby has a cameo in it and it's supposed to open around Christmas.  :)

I'd like to go see it when it comes out since I used to love Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids as a child - I remember in one of my grade schools they used to show Fat Albert short films on the projector (in the pre-VCR era) as educational tools.

Hey 80's fan, Thank you for that little sexy cartoon- it speaks volumes. What is she doing - it looks like she's wiping her lips.  Is Reuben Studdard playing Fat Albert?

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 7:29 pm

from what I've seen that guy from Keenan and Kel is gonna play the role of Fat Albert as Bill Cosby will play a cameo in the film.I might go and see that with Robin.It looks like a funny movie. ;D

Howard

Written By: woops on 12/01/04 at 7:34 pm

Hey 80's fan, Thank you for that little sexy cartoon- it speaks volumes. What is she doing - it looks like she's wiping her lips.  Is Reuben Studdard playing Fat Albert?

Former "All That" actor Keenan Thompson is playing "Fat Albert".

Personally, I think the movie would be a flop. No offesnse, but I doubt many kids today are familiar with the cartoon. "The Brady Bunch" & "Scooby Doo" had been rerunning a lot for the past 30 + years and their remakes were hits.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 7:37 pm

Former "All That" actor Keenan Thompson is playing "Fat Albert".

Personally, I think the movie would be a flop. No offesnse, but I doubt many kids today are familiar with the cartoon. "The Brady Bunch" & "Scooby Doo" had been rerunning a lot for the past 30 + years and their remakes were hits.

Hey woops,we'll just have to wait and see.Maybe Keenan will play a convincing Fat Albert.They also re-did Rocky and Bullwinkle years ago. ;D

Howard

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/02/04 at 11:03 am

I saw an ad for the movie on tv last night and he looked like he had kind of a fat suit on.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/02/04 at 11:41 am

Hey woops,we'll just have to wait and see.Maybe Keenan will play a convincing Fat Albert.They also re-did Rocky and Bullwinkle years ago. ;D

Howard

Acccck!!! Don't mention the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie!  >:(  I am a big fan of the original TV series, and the movie based on it wasn't all that great!

Written By: woops on 12/02/04 at 1:46 pm

Acccck!!! Don't mention the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie!  >:(  I am a big fan of the original TV series, and the movie based on it wasn't all that great!

A good example.

Since the "Fat Albert" movie is a few weeks away, it's too early to dismiss, IMO.  :)

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/02/04 at 4:12 pm

December 14th will see the release of a dvd collection of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids best episodes.  It will be a four dvd set so it may be pretty good; early reviews are positive.

I was a little skeptical of this at first.  Scooby Doo and other animated to live action transfers have not impressed me much.  I hope that Kenan Thompson will make the character his own rather than try to re-do the animated version.  Brendon Fraser did  pretty good job of making George of the Jungle his own and it worked out well. IMO  ;)

Written By: Howard on 12/02/04 at 4:30 pm

Eddie Murphy could've played Fat Albert but that would have to mean Eddie would have to shave his mustache cause FA never had a mustache. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/02/04 at 4:33 pm

December 14th will see the release of a dvd collection of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids best episodes.  It will be a four dvd set so it may be pretty good; early reviews are positive.

I was a little skeptical of this at first.  Scooby Doo and other animated to live action transfers have not impressed me much.  I hope that Kenan Thompson will make the character his own rather than try to re-do the animated version.  Brendon Fraser did  pretty good job of making George of the Jungle his own and it worked out well. IMO  ;)

Josie And The PussyCats
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Mr.Magoo

Maybe we can name some others that were cartoons in the 70's and were re-made 30 years later into films. :)

Howard

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/02/04 at 4:44 pm

Josie And The PussyCats
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Mr.Magoo

Maybe we can name some others that were cartoons in the 70's and were re-made 30 years later into films. :)

Howard

You forgot about The Flintstones.  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/02/04 at 5:19 pm

You forgot about The Flintstones.  :)

right The Flintstones.almost forgot about that.

They could also remake Snidley And Whiplash. ;D

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/03/04 at 12:22 am

right The Flintstones.almost forgot about that.

They could also remake Snidley And Whiplash. ;D

Howard

Ahhh.... Snidely Whiplash!  ;D They did already!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160236/

Written By: Howard on 12/03/04 at 5:04 pm

Is there a cartoon in the 70's they've never even made before or thinking of being made? ???

Howard

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/03/04 at 5:05 pm

How about Superfriends?  That would make a good live-action movie.  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/03/04 at 5:08 pm

Stretch Armstrong

or they could remake that cartoon where you had a big dog in a small doghouse and a small guy.Can't remember what the name of it was. ???

Howard

Written By: woops on 12/03/04 at 7:52 pm

I think a live action "Jetsons" movie could be made.  :)

Though Danny DeVito would obiviously play Mr. Spacely.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/05/04 at 7:33 pm

I think a live action "Jetsons" movie could be made.  :)

Though Danny DeVito would obiviously play Mr. Spacely.  ::)

then who'd play the role of George Jetson? It would have to be someone with orange hair and Danny Devito would most definitely be my pick for Mr. Spacely. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/05/04 at 7:36 pm

Captain Caveman
Smurfs
Stretch Armstrong

those could be made into remakes. ;D

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/04 at 10:47 pm

Captain Caveman
Smurfs
Stretch Armstrong

those could be made into remakes. ;D

Howard

Smurfs? Live Action  ::) or Animated or Both?

Written By: kairi747 on 12/06/04 at 9:24 am

I think Keenan Thompson fans will go see the movie!  There is a big Nickolodeon fan base.  He was on All That and Keenan and Kel.  Plus Cosby fans will go.  It may just work out.  I saw the commercial this morning.  Does anyone know who else is in the movie.  Of course the clips are short, but I thought I saw Aaron Carter and Kyla Pratt.  Of course it was EARLY in the morning and my eyes may not have been too focused!
!  ::)

Written By: woops on 12/06/04 at 6:59 pm

I think Keenan Thompson fans will go see the movie!  There is a big Nickolodeon fan base.  He was on All That and Keenan and Kel.  Plus Cosby fans will go.  It may just work out.  I saw the commercial this morning.  Does anyone know who else is in the movie.  Of course the clips are short, but I thought I saw Aaron Carter and Kyla Pratt.  Of course it was EARLY in the morning and my eyes may not have been too focused!
!  ::)

Bill Cosby has a cameo in the film.

Written By: Howard on 12/06/04 at 7:29 pm

Smurfs? Live Action  ::) or Animated or Both?

Live Action. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/06/04 at 7:31 pm

like what other cartoons from the 70's should be made into live action films with human characters playing the parts? ;D

Howard

Written By: Banks on 12/06/04 at 7:55 pm

I liked Inch High Private Eye, thatd be a cool movie.

Speed Racer

Baggypants and the Nitwitts

Cumm Cumm (about a little boy livingin the stone age)

Yogi Bear and Boo Boo

Im not sure what the name of the cartoon was, but I think it was called Stop The Pidgeon. It had mutly in it (the dog with the athsmatic). They chased a pidgeon while flying in old planes.

All these would make good movies, IF done right.

Alright Now

Written By: Howard on 12/06/04 at 8:40 pm

Speed Racer

Baggypants and the Nitwitts

Cumm Cumm (about a little boy livingin the stone age)

Yogi Bear and Boo Boo

Im not sure what the name of the cartoon was, but I think it was called Stop The Pidgeon. It had mutly in it (the dog with the athsmatic). They chased a pidgeon while flying in old planes.

All these would make good movies, IF done right.

Alright Now

That's definitely a good idea AN. :)

Howard

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/06/04 at 10:55 pm

I agree.  Great idea.

Speed Racer
There was a RUMOR of this.  I would stay tuned.

That was called Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines.  It followed Wacky Races, chronologically speaking that is.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 12:40 am

Live Action. ;D

Howard

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.....  ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/07/04 at 7:58 pm

I agree.  Great idea.
That was called Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines.  It followed Wacky Races, chronologically speaking that is.

I'm thinking somebody could play Dastardly & Muttley as actor and as a talking dog.Where would you find an actor well suitable to play Dastardly? ;D

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...