inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: SCTV

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/04/04 at 12:17 pm

Does anyone here remember  SCTV? It's one of my favorite shows from the 70's, I especially like Dr. Tongue, Johnny LaRue, and especially Bob and Doug MacKenzie!  ;D

http://sctvguide.ca/episodes/images/sctvcast_season4.jpg

Subject: Re: SCTV

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/04 at 12:20 pm

The one skit that I LOVED was when they did a spoof on Fantasy Island-with the Hope & Crosby "road movies", and the Wizard of Oz thrown in. The skit was so long that it lasted the entire show. I was LMAO watching it.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/04/04 at 12:25 pm

I love the sketch that made fun of Cable TV network wars and The Godfather!  ;D And what about the Bob and Doug MacKenzie album? I love the song "Take Off!"  ;D

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000001EPF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Written By: ktelqueen on 12/04/04 at 12:34 pm

And what about the Bob and Doug MacKenzie album? I love the song "Take Off!"  ;D

you Hoser  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/04 at 12:36 pm

"On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me a beer"  :D

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/04/04 at 12:41 pm

you Hoser  ;)

LOL!!!!!!!!! I also love the Bob and Doug movie, Strange Brew!

"This movie was shot in 3B - three beers - and it looks good, eh?"  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/04/04 at 12:47 pm

I do!

Tanya

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/04/04 at 12:52 pm

In honour of the holidays.... here's Bob and Doug's version of the 12 Days of Christmas!  ;D

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Cabana/5906/canxmas.htm

Written By: AL-B on 12/05/04 at 4:17 pm

I remember one episode where their signal got jammed by the Russians and was replaced with Soviet television.There was one segment where these two Russians were on a late night talk show, and standing in front of the studio audience were two Russian soldiers with AK-47s. The hosts would say some really lame joke and get no response from the audience. But then the soldiers would point their guns at the audience and cock them, and then the audience would start laughing.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/04 at 4:55 pm

I remember that episode!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! I also liked the episode where an alien took over the station, and the one that was a spoof of The Towering Inferno!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/05/04 at 7:15 pm

Will SCTV ever come back to TvLand? ???

Howard

Written By: Howard on 12/05/04 at 7:17 pm

I love the sketch that made fun of Cable TV network wars and The Godfather!  ;D And what about the Bob and Doug MacKenzie album? I love the song "Take Off!"  ;D

I think I remember that sketch.What year was that? ;D

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/04 at 8:03 pm

I remember one episode where their signal got jammed by the Russians and was replaced with Soviet television.There was one segment where these two Russians were on a late night talk show, and standing in front of the studio audience were two Russian soldiers with AK-47s. The hosts would say some really lame joke and get no response from the audience. But then the soldiers would point their guns at the audience and cock them, and then the audience would start laughing.

I think I remember that. It sounds so familar.

Cat

Written By: AL-B on 12/05/04 at 8:54 pm

I think I remember that. It sounds so familar.

Cat
I also now remember a segment on that episode where they had a Russian sitcom about a peasant farmer whose tractor is actually Nikita Krueschev reincarnated. (What made it really funny was that the tractor had this huge pair of lips on the front of it that would move whenever Krueschev spoke.)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/04 at 9:02 pm

I also now remember a segment on that episode where they had a Russian sitcom about a peasant farmer whose tractor is actually Nikita Krueschev reincarnated. (What made it really funny was that the tractor had this huge pair of lips on the front of it that would move whenever Krueschev spoke.)

I think it was a sketch called Hey, Giorgy! And it was about a farmer named Giorgy who helps people.

Written By: bj26 on 12/06/04 at 10:42 am

I never got into sctv but was fortunate to catch The Queenhaters - Short (vocals), Levy (lead guitar), Candy (drums, Flaherty (bass), Martin (guitar) do a punk rock tribute. Candy doing Charlie Watts funniest thing, they were actually a pretty good punk rock band.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/06/04 at 11:04 am

One sketch I loved was the one with Richard Harris (peformed by Dave Thomas) and he was performing "MacArthur Park" on Mel's Rock Pile, and was he taking forever to finsh the song!

Written By: kairi747 on 12/07/04 at 9:40 am

"and dave thomas as the beaver!"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 12:48 pm

"and dave thomas as the beaver!"

LOL..... I also love Dr. Tongue's 3-D House of Cats, and Polynesian Town, and how every thing Johnny LaRue did had to end with an elaborate crane shot! As well as Big Jim McBob and Billy Sol Hurok's Weekly Farm Report ("They blow up really good!"  ;D) and Dialing For Dollars with Moe Green!

Written By: mitch1987 on 12/07/04 at 1:00 pm

One of the greatest Canadian shows ever!!! I loved their game show spoofs like Half Wits. And Johnny La-rue( not sure on the spelling). The TV wars episodes were classics. In one segment they attacked the set of Threes Company lol..ABC, NBC and CBS all got hit.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 1:22 pm

One of the greatest Canadian shows ever!!! I loved their game show spoofs like Half Wits. And Johnny La-rue( not sure on the spelling). The TV wars episodes were classics. In one segment they attacked the set of Threes Company lol..ABC, NBC and CBS all got hit.

I love Half Wits, and a similar sketch on SNL with Will Farrell playing Alex Trebek on a spoof of Celebrity Jeopardy!  ;D

"It looks like this is my lucky day! I'll take "The Rapists" for $200."  ::)  ;D

Written By: AL-B on 12/07/04 at 11:08 pm

I could be wrong and this might have been on SNL instead, but I remember a skit called "Battle of the PBS Stars" where Julia Child was in a boxing match with Mister Rogers, and he won the fight by hitting her over the head with a King Friday puppet.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/07/04 at 11:09 pm

I could be wrong and this might have been on SNL instead, but I remember a skit called "Battle of the PBS Stars" where Julia Child was in a boxing match with Mister Rogers, and he won the fight by hitting her over the head with a King Friday puppet.

Nope... it was on SCTV!  ;D

Written By: AL-B on 12/08/04 at 10:16 am

Nope... it was on SCTV!  ;D
I thought so, but I wasn't sure. Do you remember what the other events were on "Battle of the PBS Stars?"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/08/04 at 11:39 am

They where the high jump with Beverly Sills and Joan Sutherland, and Football with William F . Buckley and Carl Sagan.  ::)  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/08/04 at 7:15 pm

Julia Child fighting with Mr.Rogers? Now,there's something you never see every day. ;D

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/04 at 8:15 pm

My guess is that Julia wooped Fred's butt.  ;D

Cat

Written By: AL-B on 12/08/04 at 8:55 pm

My guess is that Julia wooped Fred's butt.   ;D

Cat
No, Fred won by beating her over the head with King Friday.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/08/04 at 9:27 pm

No, Fred won by beating her over the head with King Friday.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Written By: kackythope on 12/09/04 at 8:12 am

After I'd seen them all, then when SCTV came on I'd just check the opening credits. If Harold Ramis wasn't on, then I'd turn it off and go to bed!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/09/04 at 11:40 am

Another favorite sketch of mine, was a Days of The Week sketch, in which Bill Murray made a cameo as a man who had to stop a shooting at a wedding from taking place!  ;D

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 01/02/05 at 7:56 pm

Does anyone here remember  SCTV? It's one of my favorite shows from the 70's, I especially like Dr. Tongue, Johnny LaRue, and especially Bob and Doug MacKenzie!  ;D

http://sctvguide.ca/episodes/images/sctvcast_season4.jpg

I don't think this was from the 70s was it? I remember this being from the early 80s..

Anyway,I'd say one of the things I really enjoyed about it was the fact they quite offten had some top musical guest on the show...A few that I remember being on there was John Cougar,Roy Orbison,Rough Trade and Joe Walsh..

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/02/05 at 9:49 pm

Second City lasted from 1976-1981
SCTV Network 90 lasted from 1981-1983
SCTV Channel lasted from 1983-1984

Hope it helps!  :)

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/06 at 8:38 pm

My favourite sketch was the news with Floyd Robertson (Joe Flaherty) and Earl Camembert (Eugene Levy).  Both of these characters were based on real Canadian News Anchors Lloyd Robertson and Earl Cameron

One of the gags they did was that late at night, Floyd Robertson would turn into a vampire bat named Count Floyd.  If only the real Lloyd could do that, I might watch the CTV news more often :D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...