inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mary Hopkin

Written By: eightieschick53 on 12/04/04 at 4:36 pm

Hello,

I don't know if anyone has heard of this singer but my mom loves her. She is a British singer, sang alot in the 1960's and early '70's. Some of her hits were:

Those Were The Days My Friend-sounds like a folk song.

Goodbye

Crying in the Chapel

Temma Harbor

For those of you that haven't heard of her or her name doesn't ring a bell with you, I included a picture of her.

Subject: Re: Mary Hopkin

Written By: Paul on 12/04/04 at 7:27 pm

Ah...the Welsh waif herself...

Mary had her big break whilst appearing on the British talent show 'Opportunity Knocks' (which, back in the day, was so popular it used to clear pubs...!!) - and on one occasion. the model Twiggy saw her...

Twiggy then brought her to the attention of Paul McCartney who was duly impressed to sign her to the Beatles' (then-recently launched) Apple label -  'Those Were The Days' (which is indeed a folk-song of Russian origin) being her biggest hit...

Her other big notable was 'Knock Knock Who's There' which was Britain's Eurovision entry in 1970 (which came runner-up, but sadly killed her career stone dead...), the last I heard of her she was performing in a group called Oasis (no, not that one...!!) in the mid-80s...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/04/04 at 11:10 pm

Here's a link and another great pic of her!

http://www.hopkin.is.nl/

http://isweb45.infoseek.co.jp/art/beataro1/hopkin/lppic/mhsign2.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/05/04 at 1:46 pm

I LOVE the song "Those were the days". Don't recall hearing anything else from her. I think here in the States she was only a "one-hit wonder".

Cat

Written By: Banks on 12/06/04 at 9:13 pm

I had the music video of her singing Those Were The Days, but unfortunately this was a very long time ago (around 1986 - 1987) and I do believe that the tape I had it on was chewed up by a horrible video machine.

In the video clip (which is in black and white) I believe she is standing on either a pier, or on the deck of a boat leaning back against a fence. The clip has a sequence where you see her picnicing with a young man in a park, and then flashes back to her on the boat or pier. Ill check my video collection again, but I really do think the tape I stored it on was chewed, which I was not happy about because it also contained many Beatles, Led Zepplin, and disco clips. Oh well...

Alright Now

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/06/04 at 10:30 pm

WOW!  I love that song (Those were the days. . .).  I never knew who sang it though. :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...