inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cars you had in the 70's?

Written By: mitch1987 on 12/09/04 at 10:34 pm

Just wondering what cars people or your parents had in the seventies. My dad had a bunch of AMC Ramblers. One was a 1965 then we had two from 1968. I remember we all were embarrassed at how old our car was lol. And this was in the midseventies so they weren't much more than 10 years old. I guess thats old when you are only 10 yourself . We eventually got a Ford van that was all souped up with mags, side pipes and a crush velvet interior! The only problem was that it always broke down and it broke down on a busy bridge on one of our trips to Vancouver( can't remember the name of the bridge...lion's gate maybe?). After that  my dad sold it as soon as we got home lol.

Subject: Re: Cars you had in the 70's?

Written By: karen on 12/10/04 at 7:20 am

The first car I remember him having was a Vauxhall Victor.  That would have been about 1975.  After that I think he got the Renault 16.  Can't remember what came next, may be the Consul (if thta's the name of a car!).  We didn't have a new car until I was in my late teens (i.e. 1990's)

Written By: Paul on 12/10/04 at 8:29 am

The old feller has had some right ol' crap-heaps over the years - mind you, they were probably 'state-of-the-art' at the time...they included...

Various Ford Cortinas (MkII & III, I think...) - commonly known as 'Dagenham dustbins', they'd rust within weeks...!

Some huge petrol drinking Rover, but can't remember what model...

...and a horrid Chrysler Alpine which had a very temperamental second gear - according to him, it was like 'driving a tank'...

Written By: zcrito on 12/10/04 at 10:18 am

AMC Ramblers, Vauxhall Victors, Renault 16s, Ford Cortinas, Rovers and Chrysler Alpines?

Yeah, those are some of the cars of the '70s I remember.
;D  ;D

:)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/10/04 at 1:00 pm

My mother had about 3 AMC Hornets. My dad had his 65 Valant convertable (which he named "Pwecious" -as in the LOTR) until just about 5years ago or so. It was really cool seeing the looks on people's faces as we would go by with the top down. But, he had to "put her out to pasture"  :\'( I think he cried when he had to do that.

Cat

Written By: gord on 12/10/04 at 2:49 pm

cool thread, I'm a bit of a car nut :) a few of the vehicles my parents had were a late 60s chevy biscayne, a volkswagon van, a early 70's Oldsmobile delta 88 and a couple of dodge darts. I started driving in 1980 and my first car was 74 pontiac ventura, then a 68 chevelle, then a 67 firebird, then I got into motorbikes :)

Written By: Howard on 12/10/04 at 5:16 pm

My Father had a blue FORD LTD in the late 70's,traded it in for a White Nissan Sentra in the early 1980's.

Howard

Written By: micah on 12/10/04 at 5:21 pm

my first car was a 1961 chrysler i got from my parents in 1970. I also had a '63 olds 88 conv., '66 buick electra 225 conv.,'67 olds 88 conv.,'61 ford starliner,'62 olds starfire conv. a'65 pontiac GTO conv. and a '68 dodge dart GTS conv. :D

Written By: Howard on 12/10/04 at 5:26 pm

I kinda enjoyed being in my Father's old FORD LTD.It was kinda comfortable. ;D

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 12/10/04 at 8:47 pm

and a '68 dodge dart GTS conv. :D

Did you really want one of these?

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/dodge-challenger/images/dodge-challenger-1970a.jpg

1970, Dodge Challenger

;)

Written By: Zella on 12/11/04 at 6:30 pm

1970 Mustang

1974 Charger

1966 Charger

Written By: Banks on 12/11/04 at 11:39 pm

The first car I remember my Mum owning (my parents divorced when I was 2) I couldnt tell you the name of...It was white, I think some kind of Toyota or something. We also had a Toyota Corolla and a Subaru of some type. My father had a MG of some kind....

My favorite cars of the 70's were little VW's (just like Herbie) and  VW Combi vans. When I was a kid they enthralled me, especially the Combi's. The people who lived next to my baby sitters (I was about 5 to 7 at the time) had a combi van with psychadelic colours and swirls all over it...and I loved going for drives with them!!! They always had Hendrix, The Doors, Led Zepplin, Free, The Who, and ACDC (with Bon Scott and their original singer someone Dale, cant remember now) blasting out the speakers!!! Now that was fun!!!

Alright Now

Written By: moonlightmaiden on 12/20/04 at 12:11 am

My parents used to have an old Dodge Dart and a Ford Granada.  :-[

Written By: phil on 02/13/05 at 1:56 am

My parents had a Rambler Ambassador and I had a '58 Kharmann Ghia.  I loved my car and I bought it from the neighbors across the street for $50 when I was 16 and it actually ran!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/13/05 at 9:39 am

Opal GT 70...looked like a miniature Corvette...thean a '79 Buick Opal...also a 1976 Mecury Monarch...and my favourite...a 1971 VW fastback :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/13/05 at 10:49 am

A blue Ford LTD (from the posts I guess it was a popular car to have).

Tanya

Written By: Tam on 02/14/05 at 2:04 am

My mom had a Vega....
Was that by Chevy???
I just remember the leather seats used to burn my legs in the summer!!!  :(

Written By: AL-B on 02/14/05 at 2:06 am

Let's see..in the 70's my parents had a '65 Chevy Biscayne (with a "three-on-the tree"), a '72 Buick station wagon, and a '77 Pontiac Ventura. Those cars are long gone, but in 1976 my dad bought a '74 Volkswagen Bus, which, amazingly, he still has. (It literally has been from sea-to-shining-sea.) It's getting quite a bit of rust on it, and sometimes I think it'd be cool to buy it from him and restore it.
  Also, my oldest brother had a '73 Camaro.

Written By: jiminy on 02/14/05 at 6:26 pm

Match Box,  Hot Wheels and those cool demolition derby cars

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/15/05 at 9:57 am

My mom had a Vega....
Was that by Chevy???
I just remember the leather seats used to burn my legs in the summer!!!   :(
Yep, Chevy it was ;) Sorry about your legs though :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/15/05 at 9:59 am

I remember when every Ford vehichle sold came with a map to the nearest junkyard :D

Written By: gord on 02/15/05 at 5:56 pm

I remember when every Ford vehichle sold came with a map to the nearest junkyard :D

Ford defined
-Found On Road Dead
-Fix Or Repair Daily
-F-ing Owner Really Dumb

I drive one by the way ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/15/05 at 6:29 pm

Ford defined
-Found On Road Dead
-Fix Or Repair Daily
-F-ing Owner Really Dumb

You forgot this gem...F*cked Over Re-built Dodge :D ;D

Written By: AL-B on 02/15/05 at 9:38 pm

Ford defined
-Found On Road Dead
-Fix Or Repair Daily
-F-ing Owner Really Dumb
When you run these across Ford loyalists, they always counter with "First On Race Day."
Although I grew up liking GM products, I bought a '94 Mercury Grand Marquis about 5 years ago and it has by far been the best car I've ever owned.

Written By: gord on 02/16/05 at 5:36 am

When you run these across Ford loyalists, they always counter with "First On Race Day."Although I grew up liking GM products, I bought a '94 Mercury Grand Marquis about 5 years ago and it has by far been the best car I've ever owned.

I have alot of respect for Ford, when they took on the mighty Ferraris at Le Mans and beat them in the 60s to them keeping the muscle car alive today with the Mustang. I've owned 2 Fords from 1988 until now, just poking a little fun at them :)

Written By: bj26 on 02/16/05 at 7:09 am

1978 buick Regal Sport Coupe w/turbo charger 8)

http://edchapman.tripod.com/images/gn1.jpg

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 02/16/05 at 8:49 am

I was too young to own a car but I think after seeing "Smokey and the Bandit" every kid wanted to own a Trans Am. lol

Written By: jackas on 02/20/05 at 1:52 pm

They still do, don't they?

We had '73 Chevy Impala, light yellow with a black vinyl top.  '78 GMC Vandura, two toned, dark green on top, light green around the middle and dark green on the bottom.  '71 Toyota Corona Mark II, white.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: goodsin on 02/23/05 at 11:51 am

I had a '58 Kharmann Ghia.  I loved my car and I bought it from the neighbors across the street for $50 when I was 16 and it actually ran!

God, if I was going to own a classic car, that would be it. We had Ford Cortinas (the aforementioned Dagenham Dustbins) and LandRovers. My dad's still got one of the Landrovers, my god is it a pig to drive...no power steering, pitiful steering lock, crunchy gearbox. My grandparents had a motorbike-and-sidecar combo, the sidecar sat 2 (small) people and was huge!

Check for new replies or respond here...