inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Star Wars vs Star Trek

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/19/04 at 2:32 pm

My vote is for Star Wars.

Subject: Re: Star Wars vs Star Trek

Written By: PrettyInPink on 12/19/04 at 8:22 pm

Without a doubt,Star Trek! :)

Written By: Banks on 12/21/04 at 12:15 am

I definately picked Star Wars. It was an instant classic and marked the begining of the return of the space epic. Without Star Wars I dont think there would have been a Star Trek movie and definately no Batle Star Galactica movies and series.

AN

Written By: mitch1987 on 12/21/04 at 3:12 am

Definitely Star Wars. It had all the action and great battles. And it had Darth Vader.....can't wait til Revenge of the Sith comes out!!!!!!

Written By: Hairspray on 12/21/04 at 12:42 pm

Without Star Wars I dont think there would have been a Star Trek movie and definately no Batle Star Galactica movies and series.

AN

In my opinion, the above statement would be more factual the other way around -

Without Star Trek, there wouldn't have been a Star Wars. I believe even Lucas said something to the effect of having been inspired by Roddenberry's breakthrough saga.

I picked "both" as my answer to the poll. They're both great in their own way. :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/21/04 at 2:12 pm

Star Wars. Honestly, the only Star Trek I got into was The Next Generation with Captain Picard.

Tanya

Written By: Howard on 12/21/04 at 4:18 pm

Star Wars

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/21/04 at 4:22 pm

Star Wars. Honestly, the only Star Trek I got into was The Next Generation with Captain Picard.

Tanya

Ditto.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/22/04 at 6:31 am

Star Trek - though have to qualify that by saying the latter ones

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/24/04 at 2:59 pm

I chose both.  Despite being the founder of a rural Star Wars fan club (MACON CLONES) I love both series'.  Comparing them to each other however is much like camparing apples to oranges.  Star Trek is science fiction whereas Star Wars is better classified as space fantasy.  To get into this discussion would really expose my pure nerdiness.

BTW, Star Wars was not a result of any Star Trek popularity.  In fact, quite the opposite.  The studios (Universal and Paramount) did not back Mr. Lucas because the sci-fi genre was considered dead by the early to mid 70s.  Mr. Lucas had planned on a version of Flash Gordon but couldn't do it becasue Dino DeLaurentis had already purchased the rights (see Flash Gordon 1980).  Lucas decided to write an original story and Star Wars was born.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/26/04 at 11:59 am

Flash Gordon bombed, and Star Wars became a hit, and the rest is history.

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/29/04 at 11:02 am

The Sam Jones version of Flash Gordon was likely the product of the success of Star Wars.  Although Dino De Laurentis was quite capable of getting it made, the success of Star Wars and the Sci-Fi genre lit the fire under the rockets.

. . .and it wasn't that bad. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/29/04 at 10:29 pm

Both were pretty inique for thier separate era's :)

Written By: fragswife on 12/29/04 at 11:30 pm

I chose both. 

I am also a fan of Battlestar Galactica.  All three shows were big on my list of things to watch.

:-) fw

Written By: Hairspray on 12/30/04 at 4:08 pm

BTW, Star Wars was not a result of any Star Trek popularity.

Just thought I'd clarify a point -

Not sure if this was a response to my post, but I said that Lucas was inspired by Roddenberry. That is a fact. :)

Also, a bit of trivia someone may want to investigate, Star Wars was not Lucas' 100% original creation. ;)

BTW, I also liked Battlestar Galactica. :D

Written By: Allie Fox on 12/30/04 at 8:06 pm

Just thought I'd clarify a point -

Not sure if this was a response to my post, but I said that Lucas was inspired by Roddenberry. That is a fact. :)

Also, a bit of trivia someone may want to investigate, Star Wars was not Lucas' 100% original creation. ;)

BTW, I also liked Battlestar Galactica. :D

I was referring to the "deal" that was made to actually make the picture as opposed to its creative influence. 

The "Republic" serials of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers heavily inspired Mr. Lucas but nothing more than the samurai films of Akira Kurosawa.  In fact the original plot synopsis for "The Star Wars" was nearly a verbatim description of "The Hidden Fortress" from a book about the films of the great Japanese film-maker.  Between the serials, the samurai films and the writings of Joseph Campbell, Mr. Lucas came up with the ideas that were finally presented on screen.  So while the "idea" is 100% Lucas', the influences and the movie making process involve many others that include Roddenberry but also folks like Lawrence Kasden, Irving Kirshner, Steven Spielberg, Bryan DePalma, Francis Coppola, etc.

For further investigation, check out the WRITINGS section of the Jedi Bendu Script Page.

. . .and I love BG also.  ;)

Written By: Hairspray on 01/01/05 at 4:08 pm

I was referring to the "deal" that was made to actually make the picture as opposed to its creative influence. 

The "Republic" serials of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers heavily inspired Mr. Lucas but nothing more than the samurai films of Akira Kurosawa.  In fact the original plot synopsis for "The Star Wars" was nearly a verbatim description of "The Hidden Fortress" from a book about the films of the great Japanese film-maker.  Between the serials, the samurai films and the writings of Joseph Campbell, Mr. Lucas came up with the ideas that were finally presented on screen.  So while the "idea" is 100% Lucas', the influences and the movie making process involve many others that include Roddenberry but also folks like Lawrence Kasden, Irving Kirshner, Steven Spielberg, Bryan DePalma, Francis Coppola, etc.

For further investigation, check out the WRITINGS section of the Jedi Bendu Script Page.

. . .and I love BG also.  ;)

It's nice to see another fan of all that's cool. :) Happy New Year!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 01/02/05 at 11:15 pm

Always Star Wars for me. And am also a big Flash Gordon and Battlestar Galactica fan.

Never got into Star Trek - I found the cast too wooden.

Lucas discusses this subject at length in the directors commentary on the Star Wars dvds.  I found it quite fascinating.  Also in the "making ofs" - he readily shows the various parallels with Hidden Fortress.

Written By: Butterball on 01/03/05 at 6:58 pm

Without a doubt...STAR WARS!!!!!!!

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/03/05 at 8:48 pm

Lucas discusses this subject at length in the directors commentary on the Star Wars dvds.  I found it quite fascinating.  Also in the "making ofs" - he readily shows the various parallels with Hidden Fortress.

Did you listen to the ESB commentary?  As great a job that I think Irving Kirshner did directing ESB, there were several times during his dvd commentary that I thought to myself, "Alright, it's time to shut up Old Man!" :D

Check for new replies or respond here...