inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke" Ad

Written By: eightieschick53 on 12/22/04 at 7:55 pm

Anyone remember that commercial where the teenagers were all on the hill and they were singing "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke" and rocking back and forth holding lighters? It came out about 1969 or maybe 1970. It was pure '70's! It was a Christmas commercial I think. It was a very good commercial.

Subject: Re: "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke" Ad

Written By: moonlightmaiden on 12/22/04 at 10:51 pm

Yep, I remember that from the late 70's when I was a kid. That was a great one.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/23/04 at 2:09 am

I do remember this commercial, it should be revived.

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/23/04 at 7:25 am

I remember about 15 years ago the people from the original Coke ad reunited along with all their kids and made another commercial - I saw it on tv a few times in late '89 - early '90.  :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/23/04 at 9:28 am

It's a good ad, the song's good too!

Written By: Howard on 12/23/04 at 2:05 pm

just imagine if they revived that song into a"rap"version? ::)

Howard

Written By: gord on 12/23/04 at 2:11 pm

It was pure '70's!

It really was, I'd like to see it again. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/23/04 at 3:16 pm

http://www2.coca-cola.com/presscenter/av_advertising.html

I love it too!  Here's a link to it.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the commercials, it's the second to last.

I wasn't able to view it on my work computer, but hopefully you guys will be able to.

Happy Holidays!

Written By: Paul on 12/23/04 at 4:25 pm

Don't give people ideas, Howard...!!

Written By: Howard on 12/24/04 at 6:56 pm

Don't give people ideas, Howard...!!

Yeah,I'm sorry about that.I guess I won't give them any ideas.If that happens,the commercial will be unwatchable! ::)

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/26/04 at 12:00 pm

Yeah,I'm sorry about that.I guess I won't give them any ideas.If that happens,the commercial will be unwatchable! ::)

Howard

The song would blow!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/26/04 at 12:19 pm

The song would blow!  ;D

Yeah,the commercial would probably have some sort of hip-hop gangstas with loads of bling-bling. :P

Howard

Written By: ktelqueen on 12/27/04 at 12:55 am

i have the '45  :)

Written By: saver on 12/27/04 at 3:25 pm

I've got the 45 too! How did you get yours(mine is scratchy as it is an old record), I got it as a bank promoted it in my hometown..(I guess it even says promo copy).

On the opposite side it has 2 other of their commercial songs(maybe "It's the Real thing)....

Written By: ktelqueen on 12/27/04 at 4:21 pm

I've got the 45 too! How did you get yours(mine is scratchy as it is an old record), I got it as a bank promoted it in my hometown..(I guess it even says promo copy).

On the opposite side it has 2 other of their commercial songs(maybe "It's the Real thing)....

hi,saver..i just called my oldest sister to find out where it originated and as it turns out she got it at a birthday party..each kid got a '45..she thinks the birthday girl's father had gotten it from our local radio station in Nova Scotia  :)

Written By: kairi747 on 12/27/04 at 9:42 pm

yeah, i remember that commercial.  in chorus when i was in 4th grade we sang "i'd like to teach the world to sing," and of course we always would say, "i'd like to buy the world a coke." 

Written By: Howard on 12/28/04 at 3:49 pm

Did that commercial have guys and girls holding hands from around the world? ???

Howard

Written By: Zella on 12/30/04 at 3:41 pm

I think there were two distinct 45s released - one by either the New Seekers or maybe it was the Hilltop Singers... that you could buy in the store with regular records (that one had a blue label), and then one that came as a free give-away with various grocery offers (that one had a white label). I had both, but have no idea what ever happened to them. I know I purged the blue one from my record case in the mid 70s when it was no longer 'cool' to have it...ha ha.  :o

Written By: robin on 07/06/05 at 12:22 am

what is the original name of the song in the commercial?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/06/05 at 12:30 am

what is the original name of the song in the commercial?
I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing by New Seekers, released back in December 1971.

Written By: memory on 07/07/05 at 2:41 am

Howard

it would be stupid because rap is stupid

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/05 at 11:20 am

I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing by New Seekers, released back in December 1971.

I heard something just a few days ago that the song was orignally written for the commercial and THEN the New Seekers turned it into a hit.

Cat

Written By: bj26 on 07/07/05 at 12:40 pm

Anyone remember that commercial where the teenagers were all on the hill and they were singing "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke" and rocking back and forth holding lighters? It came out about 1969 or maybe 1970. It was pure '70's! It was a Christmas commercial I think. It was a very good commercial.

I remember this, there were all kinds of people, colors, nationalities, I think the group was called "Up with People" and they traveled around promoting some cause or another.  They happened to do the Coke commercial, some of the people looked kind of stoned to me, lol.  I knew this girl who was in the Up with people group and she was a little wild back then.
http://www2.coca-cola.com/heritage/cokelore_hilltop.html

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/05 at 2:06 pm

I remember this, there were all kinds of people, colors, nationalities, I think the group was called "Up with People" and they traveled around promoting some cause or another.  They happened to do the Coke commercial, some of the people looked kind of stoned to me, lol.  I knew this girl who was in the Up with people group and she was a little wild back then.

My (soon-to-be) ex-step-son-in-law (does that make sense?) used to be with Up With People. Yeah, he is a bit of stoner himself.

Cat

Written By: saver on 07/07/05 at 3:11 pm

Again, I still have the white labeled one ..it also has 2 other coke commercial jingles on it..when the New Seekers did it they replaced Coke with LOVE..or I'd like to fill the world with Love and peace and Harmony...

Do you know whatever became of the NEW SEEKERS/members?

I miss that sound! and them.
Now THAT would be a reunion!

Written By: Carrie on 07/08/05 at 2:38 am

It has been, not the original, but they are airing new commercials with a modernized version of the song. It just started recently. Anyone else see it yet?

Written By: Frankeneinstein on 07/08/05 at 8:46 am

It has been, not the original, but they are airing new commercials with a modernized version of the song. It just started recently. Anyone else see it yet?

I've seen it, It's very good I have said several times on this forum and elsewhere that the "hilltop song" and "one tin soldier" are what best characterize the 70's for me

Written By: kairi747 on 07/15/05 at 11:57 am

My (soon-to-be) ex-step-son-in-law (does that make sense?) used to be with Up With People. Yeah, he is a bit of stoner himself.

Cat

Wow!  Did they have that album "Up With People?" 

up, up with people, you meet 'em wherever you go. 
up, up with people, they're the best kind of folks we know.
if more people were for people, all people everywhere
there'd be a lot less people to worry about and a lot more people who care

OMG!  My first grade teacher would play that album every day after recess!  I probably know the whole thing by heart!  :D

Written By: AstringOfPoloponie on 07/16/05 at 7:01 pm

Oh yes, Up With People - I remember that. Did it fade out or what ? Yes, I have seen the latest version of the ad. To be honest, I do not like the current ad at all. I think it sounds horrible.

I wrote "I'd like to teach the world to sing" in lipstick on the cement floor of our than basement. Mom wasn't too happy about that.But it was a decade of expression. :)

Written By: schmartypantz on 07/17/05 at 12:07 pm

yes, I saw the new version commercial. It's a good commercial.
that link is cool. you can see the old commercial there.

Written By: JT1972 on 08/07/05 at 10:32 pm

There was a Christmas commercial too - The singers were in the shape of a Christmas tree holding lighters....

Written By: GREEN67 on 08/08/05 at 10:19 pm

8)  I love that commercial..Im an avid Coca-Cola collector and thats a classic..It is peace and harmony...My mom used to get up in the livin room ev time it came on and we would hold hands and sing it..corny I know but a great memory....

Check for new replies or respond here...