inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Grippity Gravity

Written By: DrGravitar on 12/25/04 at 12:19 pm

Anyone remember Grippity Gravity? A track you put together, and the "car" held onto the tracks and could go upside down, etc.?  I'd love to find these again--- I remember them from about 1973.                        - Andy

Subject: Re: Grippity Gravity

Written By: Marianne on 01/31/05 at 11:13 am

I remeber this toy also from the 70's and would love to find one again.  Good luck with your search, if you find more than one please let me know.

Thanks

Written By: Jeff on 02/19/05 at 10:19 pm

I had one too!  It climbed up side down and had little red bubble light on top.  I've been looking with no luck.

Written By: william on 07/04/05 at 11:19 am

i am also looking for a grippity gravity set as well, i can't believe it is so hard to find

Written By: jbirdy65 on 07/13/05 at 6:59 pm

According to my families photo albums, I recieved my Grippity Gravity on Christmas 1970.  I have never seen another set and I have spent a fair amount of time at auctions, swap meets and such.  I think part of the problem is, the track was fairly frail, it easyily broke at the connection points.  (and yes, I still have mine ::)  I have been working on casting some new track sections and bringing the old toy back to life.

Written By: teg on 07/21/05 at 12:38 am

I too had a Grippity Gravity. If memory serves me correctly it was made by Tomy. I remember it because my first name is Tom and I was amazed that my Christmas toy came with my name on it !

Subject: Anyone have a picture?

Written By: fredo on 08/21/05 at 11:44 pm

I remember my Grippity Gravity as one of my favorite toys.  The little blue nubs on the tracks always broke off and it got pretty wobbly.  I seem to recall a big contraption on the upper run that the car would get into and spin around.  Although I remember the blue track pretty vividly, the little teeth in the track, the round holes, the curves, all of it, for some reason I can't picture the car at all.  I don't even remember it as a rocket -- isn't that weird.

Does anyone have a picture or know of one on the net?  I'd love to see it again, I'm sure it would bring back memories.

Subject: Re: Anyone have a picture?

Written By: Patrice on 09/07/05 at 12:13 pm

Just in case the picture does not show in this reply. go to the following websitehttp://www.timewarptoys.com/gallery.htm , scroll down to the letter "G" you will find a picture link for Grippidee Gravidee.  It's a great website for 50', 60's and 70's toys.  Memories of the good old days.

http://www.timewarptoys.com/gripp.jpg

Written By: katie on 08/17/06 at 1:00 am

my sister and brother and myself still talk about "grippity gravity." What a cool toy. I remember it had a big loop in the middle and went upside down.

Written By: Charles Forrest Minetree on 10/23/06 at 2:22 am

I remember having this toy. I must have had a later version from the one in the photo, because the track was all blue the cars were different looking (I remember mine had two cars that took 2 C batteries). The front wheels were gears and the track had a gear rack to obtain traction. All the pieces except the turn-around and the intersection pieces had the outer railing with an upside down "L" in it's cross-section to hold (grip) the car to the track even if the car was vertical or upside down.

I remember the following track pieces:

Straight piece (don't recall how many. I would say at least 4)

Turn piece - flat left or right turn. (4 came with my set)

Curved in - for changing from horizontal to vertical and back (don't recall how many. I would say at least 4)

Curved out - for changing from vertical to horizontal and back (don't recall how many. I would say at least 4)

Turnaround piece - dead end. There was a platform with a gear mechanism to turn the car around and go back the way it came from. (2 came with my set)

Intersection piece - This piece had a switch that could be turned on or off. If the switch was off (and the rotating platform was in the correct position) the car would go straight through. If the switch was on when the car got to the platform the car the platform would rotate until the switch was turned off and then the platform would stop at the next position, allowing the car to continue in the new direction. (1 came with my set)

Flip piece - This was a special piece. It had a platform that would rotate from a right-side up horizontal to upside down. Think of it as walking forward, doing half a cartwheel and then continuing forward on your hands. This was piece had to be placed with the track going to a turn-around piece. This was because once the platform flipped it stayed in that position, so the car had to go the opposite direction to return the platform to the previous position. (1 came with my set)

A cousin found several track pieces in someone's trash and gave them to me. This gave me some additional straight, turn, curved in, curved out pieces as well as one intersection and 2 turnarounds. :D

I had a lot of fun with this toy. One year I set up a track layout under our Christmas tree. When I got older I gave it away to my youngest sister's friend's younger brother (I would say he was at least 10 years younger than me). That is also what happened to my Hot Wheels collection. I don't know what happened to them since. I now regret not keeping both the Grippity Gravity and my Hot Wheels. :\'(

Written By: gnomic on 01/27/08 at 9:44 pm

I've started a Gripidee Gravidee owners and fans group at  / http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GripideeGravidee/

Subject: Re: Grippityxxhrd Gravity

Written By: ian horton on 03/24/08 at 1:09 pm

hi i own a grippidee gravity in mint condition with its original box (not mint) does anyone know what it may be worth on e-bay?

regards

Ian horton

I remeber this toy also from the 70's and would love to find one again.  Good luck with your search, if you find more than one please let me know.

Thanks

Written By: ian horton on 03/24/08 at 1:17 pm

I own  GRIPIDEE GRAVITY IN MINT CONDITION ALTHOUGH ITS ORIGINAL BOX IS A BIT DIRTY AS IT HAS BEEN IN MY ATTIC

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT ITS WORTH ON E-BAY?

REGARDS

IAN HORTON

Written By: ian horton on 03/24/08 at 1:18 pm

[I OWN A GRIPPIDDEE GRAVITY DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT IS WORTH?

REGARDS

iAN HORTON

Written By: Darcy on 02/11/10 at 9:10 am

I own  GRIPIDEE GRAVITY IN MINT CONDITION ALTHOUGH ITS ORIGINAL BOX IS A BIT DIRTY AS IT HAS BEEN IN MY ATTIC

REGARDS

IAN HORTON
          Hi Ian:  Are you interested in selling it ? I would sure like to buy one. Darcy

Written By: dave on 09/06/12 at 8:41 pm

REGARDS

IAN HORTON

do you still have it

Written By: carol on 08/30/13 at 4:37 pm

Hi Ian:  Are you interested in selling it ? I would sure like to buy one. Darcy

Name a price - I need it for my sons 50th birthday  -he never got one for Christmas and I have not heard the end of it - name a price -I am very serious - carol  - carolalter21@gmail.com

Check for new replies or respond here...