inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The one thing that really sucked about the 70's

Written By: AL-B on 01/03/05 at 12:14 pm

http://www.campertour.com/55.gif
To our younger members--Yes, there were a lot of cool things back in the 70's...the music, the clothes, and a lot of other pop culture items, but be thankful that you didn't have to suffer through the national 55 mph speed limit. Even on the interstate in rural areas the speed limit was 55. And believe me, that makes for an awfully long road trip.
    I see kids today riding in their parents' SUV's or minivans in air-conditioned comfort and watching a DVD player while Mom or Dad cruises along at 75 or 80 mph and I think, "You lucky little bastards!" I would love to stick one of these little brats into a 1974 VW Bus in the middle of July (no a/c) and make them ride from Lincoln, Nebraska all the way up to Bismarck, North Dakota crawling along at 55 mph. They'd have to do this with no PlayStation, no DVD player, not even a TV. They'd have nothing to occupy their time with but the breathtaking scenery of the plains of North Dakota. (Anyone who has ever driven I-94 between Bismarck and Fargo knows what I'm talking about.)

God, my dad was a stud. He had to do this with SIX of us crammed in that little bus.

Subject: Re: The one thing that really sucked about the 70's

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/03/05 at 1:01 pm

I hear ya!

Tanya

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/03/05 at 1:45 pm

I couldn't agree more!

Written By: zcrito on 01/03/05 at 7:31 pm

To our younger members--Yes, there were a lot of cool things back in the 70's...the music, the clothes, and a lot of other pop culture items, but be thankful that you didn't have to suffer through the national 55 mph speed limit. Even on the interstate in rural areas the speed limit was 55. And believe me, that makes for an awfully long road trip.
    I see kids today riding in their parents' SUV's or minivans in air-conditioned comfort and watching a DVD player while Mom or Dad cruises along at 75 or 80 mph and I think, "You lucky little bastards!" I would love to stick one of these little brats into a 1974 VW Bus in the middle of July (no a/c) and make them ride from Lincoln, Nebraska all the way up to Bismarck, North Dakota crawling along at 55 mph. They'd have to do this with no PlayStation, no DVD player, not even a TV. They'd have nothing to occupy their time with but the breathtaking scenery of the plains of North Dakota. (Anyone who has ever driven I-94 between Bismarck and Fargo knows what I'm talking about.)

God, my dad was a stud. He had to do this with SIX of us crammed in that little bus.

"I would love to stick one of these little brats into a 1974 VW Bus in the middle of July (no a/c) and make them ride from Lincoln, Nebraska all the way up to Bismarck, North Dakota crawling along at 55 mph. They'd have to do this with no PlayStation, no DVD player, not even a TV. They'd have nothing to occupy their time with but the breathtaking scenery of the plains of North Dakota."

When I was growing up I liked going on vacations and doing nothing but look out the car window and watching all the different scenery. It was fascinating.
Although, seeing a car wreck on the Interstate was always scary and depressing, especially for someone under 12-years-old.
:(

:)

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/03/05 at 8:54 pm

After reading these posts, I wonder what it was that kept me occupied during all of those family vacations that we took by car.

License plate game anyone?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/03/05 at 11:10 pm

Yes, I played the license plate game, especially when we traveled to Florida on I-95! Coming from PA that wasn't a hard game!

Tanya

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/04/05 at 11:01 am

When I was growing up I liked going on vacations and doing nothing but look out the car window and watching all the different scenery. It was fascinating. :)

Ditto!  I'd always play "I Spy" with my brothers.  :)

Written By: trance on 01/04/05 at 1:35 pm

Kids of today are overly-spoiled....telling a child to "go to your room" these days is hardly punishment with many kids having cable TV in their own rooms, a computer, a PS2 and the such

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/04/05 at 2:47 pm

Kids of today are overly-spoiled....telling a child to "go to your room" these days is hardly punishment with many kids having cable TV in their own rooms, a computer, a PS2 and the such

You have a very good point.  :)

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/04/05 at 4:06 pm

The platform shoes, in my opinion (I probably would've broken my neck with those things, I don't even dare wear high heels)

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 01/04/05 at 6:40 pm

"I see kids today riding in their parents' SUV's or minivans in air-conditioned comfort and watching a DVD player while Mom or Dad cruises along at 75 or 80 mph and I think, "You lucky little bastards!" I would love to stick one of these little brats into a 1974 VW Bus in the middle of July (no a/c) and make them ride from Lincoln, Nebraska all the way up to Bismarck, North Dakota crawling along at 55 mph. They'd have to do this with no PlayStation, no DVD player, not even a TV. They'd have nothing to occupy their time with but the breathtaking scenery of the plains of North Dakota."

LMAO...that's too funny..

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/04/05 at 6:42 pm

Most DISCO music was horrible..but I guess some people needed that 120-beat-per-minute saccharine musical painkiller to forget about '60's stuff like VIETNAM,their friends and family being sent to die in the Vietnam jungles in a war we had NO business sticking our nose into...the Kennedy assassinations,MLK's death,any shred of innocence being lost in that era...

Some non-disco dance tunes were cool,funk stuff like Ohio Players,Earth Wind and Fire,Isleys(their only true disco song was not all that bad)..1973's Isleys hit WHO'S THAT LADY is STILL cool!!!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/04/05 at 8:10 pm

Most DISCO music was horrible..but I guess some people needed that 120-beat-per-minute saccharine musical painkiller to forget about '60's stuff like VIETNAM,their friends and family being sent to die in the Vietnam jungles in a war we had NO business sticking our nose into...the Kennedy assassinations,MLK's death,any shred of innocence being lost in that era...

Some non-disco dance tunes were cool,funk stuff like Ohio Players,Earth Wind and Fire,Isleys(their only true disco song was not all that bad)..1973's Isleys hit WHO'S THAT LADY is STILL cool!!!

Some Disco was bad, not all of it though!

Tanya

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/04/05 at 9:13 pm

Yeah, "That Lady" is a great tune!  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/04/05 at 9:14 pm

Tanya

Agreed.  :)

Written By: AL-B on 01/04/05 at 11:27 pm

1973's Isleys hit WHO'S THAT LADY is STILL cool!!!
Yes! The guitar in that song is KILLER!!! ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/05/05 at 4:09 pm

Tanya

What about the disco from 1975-1980? ???

Howard

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/06/05 at 4:13 pm

I STILL don't understand why they're putting video game systems and DVD players in cars, trucks and SUVs.
Even back in the '90s I either read a book or drew while I was in a car.
My mother wasn't rich enough to buy my a gameboy and I didn't use my walkman very much, either.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/06/05 at 8:28 pm

What about the disco from 1975-1980? ???

Howard
IMO,many disco songs used way too many string sections and synthesizers were used to excess...and to my ears many songs were overdone and really OVERPRODUCED with no real bass 'groove' and nary a guitar to be heard...I say that because I like dance songs to be GRITTY FUNK BASS LOADED S*IT THAT GETS ONE's BUTT ON THE DANCE FLOOR....not making one 'do the hustle' when I wanna get out there and JAM...stuff like LOVE ROLLERCOASTER,THAT LADY,TAKE ME TO THE NEXT PHASE,PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC,GIVE UP THE FUNK(Tear the roof off the Sucka!),YOU AND I,I WANNA BE YOUR LOVER,YOU SEXY THING,those type of songs defined 70's dance music for me!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/06/05 at 8:30 pm

I STILL don't understand why they're putting video game systems and DVD players in cars, trucks and SUVs.
My mother wasn't rich enough to buy my a gameboy and I didn't use my walkman very much, either.
It's not only kids who love electronics....I'm 44 going on 45,and a major gadget geek!

Written By: AL-B on 01/06/05 at 9:37 pm

I am somewhat surprised that some of you think disco was worse than the 55 mph speed limit. Disco wasn't the law!!! And you just couldn't turn a knob and change the speed limit!!! ;)

(Boy, wouldn't that be nice if you could, though!)

Written By: karen on 01/07/05 at 5:24 am

Reading in the car makes me feel travel sick.  I can just about map read if I have to but hate doing even that if the roads are very twisty.  Not sure whether watching a film or playing a game would have the same affect because my daughter won't let me play on her game station  ;D

We used to play either I Spy or car number games or similar.  Also Pub Cricket was a good one before the days of motorway travel everywhere.

Written By: Mergal on 01/07/05 at 6:14 am

Yeah, after a while I figured that going to my room wasn't bad at all because I had a lot of my toys and books in there. Unfortunately my parents quickly caught on so I had to go to the laundry room instead.  :(

Written By: Howard on 01/07/05 at 2:02 pm

IMO,many disco songs used way too many string sections and synthesizers were used to excess...and to my ears many songs were overdone and really OVERPRODUCED with no real bass 'groove' and nary a guitar to be heard...I say that because I like dance songs to be GRITTY FUNK BASS LOADED S*IT THAT GETS ONE's BUTT ON THE DANCE FLOOR....not making one 'do the hustle' when I wanna get out there and JAM...stuff like LOVE ROLLERCOASTER,THAT LADY,TAKE ME TO THE NEXT PHASE,PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC,GIVE UP THE FUNK(Tear the roof off the Sucka!),YOU AND I,I WANNA BE YOUR LOVER,YOU SEXY THING,those type of songs defined 70's dance music for me!

In My opinion,all disco back then sounded the same. :P

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/07/05 at 7:14 pm

I too love the gritty and funky disco songs. But, I do not care for the "let's get on the bandwagon and make a disco record" songs created. C'mon, Rod Stewart! What were you thinking? What was the need for a "Disco Duck"?

Tanya

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/07/05 at 10:27 pm

I too love the gritty and funky disco songs. But, I do not care for the "let's get on the bandwagon and make a disco record" songs created. C'mon, Rod Stewart! What were you thinking? What was the need for a "Disco Duck"?

Tanya
I think Rick Dees meant DISCO DUCK to be a parody of disco,like Frank Zappa did with 'Dancin' Fool'...check out the Zappa tune,IMO,it's d*mn funny....

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/07/05 at 10:58 pm

...that they had to end  :\'( :D

Written By: zcrito on 01/08/05 at 2:21 pm

Tanya

So true. I never had a problem with "disco". Good disco was good, bad disco was bad.

Written By: Howard on 01/08/05 at 6:29 pm

Tanya

No,Rod Stewart sang "Do You Think I'm Sexy"? & Rick Dees sang "Disco Duck". ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/08/05 at 6:32 pm

So true. I never had a problem with "disco". Good disco was good, bad disco was bad.

and also some disco sounded weird.How about when Frankie Valli turned to disco with hits such as Swearin'To God OR December 1963(Oh,What A Night)?

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 01/09/05 at 1:37 am

and also some disco sounded weird.How about when Frankie Valli turned to disco with hits such as Swearin'To God OR December 1963(Oh,What A Night)?

Howard

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons had some good disco songs in the '70s.
The December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night) you mentioned (and I believe it also made somewhat of a comeback around 1998), and Who Loves You from 1975 (I like and remember that one).  I don't remember Swearin'To God...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007KWHG/qid=1105255795/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0452380-1420138?v=glance&s=musichttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007KWHG/qid=1105255795/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0452380-1420138?v=glance&s=music

Written By: Howard on 01/09/05 at 7:20 pm

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons had some good disco songs in the '70s.
The December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night) you mentioned (and I believe it also made somewhat of a comeback around 1998), and Who Loves You from 1975 (I like and remember that one).  I don't remember Swearin'To God...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007KWHG/qid=1105255795/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0452380-1420138?v=glance&s=musichttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00007KWHG/qid=1105255795/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-0452380-1420138?v=glance&s=music

Zcrito,Swearin'To God also came out in 1975 and yes I do remember Who Loves You.

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/09/05 at 7:21 pm

or how about when some classic rock was considered disco-ish? :P

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 01/09/05 at 9:17 pm

or how about when some classic rock was considered disco-ish? :P

Howard

You mean like The Eagles and One of These Nights and Led Zeppelin's Trampled Under Foot ?

???

Written By: fragswife on 01/09/05 at 9:23 pm

Only thing about the 70's I can think of that sucked...

is that ...  they ended!  :P

nice to see you again zcrito!

Written By: Howard on 01/09/05 at 9:33 pm

You mean like The Eagles and One of These Nights and Led Zeppelin's Trampled Under Foot ?

???

something like that. or how about The Rolling Stones? :P

Howard

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 01/09/05 at 11:27 pm

something like that. or how about The Rolling Stones? :P

Howard

I like to add:

Isnt it ironic how Blondie a punk/new wave/hard rock band's biggest hits were the disco song "Heart of Glass" followed shortly afterward by a rap song......."Rapture"???  Also you have to throw in a Reggae song "The Tide is High"  I love that one though.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/05 at 4:06 pm

I like to add:

Isnt it ironic how Blondie a punk/new wave/hard rock band's biggest hits were the disco song "Heart of Glass" followed shortly afterward by a rap song......."Rapture"???  Also you have to throw in a Reggae song "The Tide is High"  I love that one though.

Blondie was a classic rock band with disco,reggae & rap sounds.But,they were a good band. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/10/05 at 4:08 pm

Rolling Stones-Miss You

or how about those blue eyed soul bands of the 70's? ???

Howard

Written By: DevoRule on 04/19/05 at 9:47 pm

I'm not really a fan of the 70s.  I don't hate em, but the 60s and 80s intrigue me a lot more.

Written By: Climber on 04/19/05 at 10:32 pm

There were 6 of us in a station wagon when we traveled from Minneapolis/St. Paul to Denver a few times.  I don't recall going cross country in it, but we also had a Pinto at one point.  5 seats for 6 people...my little sister rode in front on my mom's lap.  Imagine that now...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/20/05 at 8:43 am

No,Rod Stewart sang "Do You Think I'm Sexy"? & Rick Dees sang "Disco Duck". ;D

Howard

I knew that. I was just referring to an unnecessary song. Rod Stewart was just in the mix of the sentence.

Tanya

Written By: Phylo1979 on 04/20/05 at 10:59 am

This may start sounding like a Monty Python sketch but...

In August '75, there were 8 of us (2 adults, 4 teenagers, 1 9 year old, 1 8 year old) in a '72 Impala from St. Louis to Houston with "Love Will Keep Us Together" on the am radio every half hour.  One day, we stuffed two more into that car and drove from Houston to Galveston and back.  Best vacation ever.
A year later, we took a pick up truck with a mattress on the back bed and a camper shell on top from St. Louis to Rapid City, SD with "Afternoon Delight" on a transister radio every half hour.  Second best vacation ever, mainly because no AC in the back.  55 was speed limit but we did have a CB radio.

Written By: BriMac35 on 04/20/05 at 2:01 pm

Only thing about the 70's I can think of that sucked...

is that ...  they ended!   :P

nice to see you again zcrito!

Amen !  It's funny how you didn't think much about it back then but now you look back and think about what a great time it was .

Written By: Carrie on 04/20/05 at 8:57 pm

What sucked about the 70's? All of that Poyester!

Written By: ADH13 on 04/20/05 at 9:03 pm

I think the bellbottoms.  I didn't like 'em then, and I sure as hell don't like 'em now.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/25/05 at 5:32 am

They went too quick - I was a young nipper in the 70's

funny how the fashion from then  is very hip now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/25/05 at 6:27 am

They went too quick - I was a young nipper in the 70's

funny how the fashion from then is very hip now.

Fits perfect with my "25 year theory". ;)

I think we're getting close to the end of the 70's now, but I started noticing a 70's comeback as early as '94, mostly in fashion styles.

Written By: zcrito on 06/25/05 at 12:06 pm

Fits perfect with my "25 year theory". ;)

I think we're getting close to the end of the 70's now, but I started noticing a 70's comeback as early as '94, mostly in fashion styles.

True.
A local top-40 radio station did a morning 10-minute '70s segment years ago and would play a couple of songs from the '70s they liked (and talk most of the way through them), and that was the first time I heard the '70s making a comeback, which was around '93 or '94. Probably '94.

The idiot who sat next to me at work at the time said anything having to do with the '70s would never make a comeback. Those were days of excesses that will never return in any form, he said.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/05 at 12:48 pm

What sucked about the 70's? All of that Poyester!

OMG, you can say that again. Fashion in the 70s really sucked the big one. But, I still wear today what I wore back then-blue jeans and a tee shirt. Still works.  ;D

Cat

Written By: memory on 06/26/05 at 12:51 pm

i dont like disco

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/27/05 at 3:47 am

i dont like disco

Huh?  :D

What's that got to do with the current posts?  I never went to a disco in the 70's I was only a little kid - well only perhaps the Youth Club disco while chewing on sweeties and such, and after watching a film projected on the wall.  ;D

Written By: berger on 06/27/05 at 8:24 pm

The fact that they had to take the stick shift off the Schwinn Stingrays.
Safety hazard :P

Written By: snozberries on 07/02/05 at 4:14 pm

That I don't remember it as well as I should born in 67 I should have a better memory for the later half of the decade... I can't even use drugs as an excuse... SHEESH :D

Written By: Mullet-Head on 07/04/05 at 11:26 pm

I think the bellbottoms.  I didn't like 'em then, and I sure as hell don't like 'em now.

I can remember falling off a bike cause I got my pant leg caught in the wheel

Written By: Marian on 07/08/05 at 1:06 pm

OMG, you can say that again. Fashion in the 70s really sucked the big one. But, I still wear today what I wore back then-blue jeans and a tee shirt. Still works.  ;D

Cat
I know1and i like the music from the 50s better,too!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/05 at 1:39 pm

I can remember falling off a bike cause I got my pant leg caught in the wheel

I used to get my pant leg caught in the chain.  :o

Cat

Written By: dutchfalcon on 07/30/05 at 9:52 pm

The clothes!

Written By: Erika on 07/31/05 at 9:22 pm

Lincoln to Bismark? -- bah! Try Denver to Minneapolis, August, back of a Dodge Coronet, so hot the soda in the Scotch Cooler (if you don't know what that, ask your mom!) was warm. I will never forget it.

Check for new replies or respond here...