inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who had a CB radio back in the 70's?

Written By: AL-B on 01/03/05 at 3:18 pm

Back in the mid/late-70's, when "Smokey & The Bandit," "Convoy," "Movin' On," and "B.J. & The Bear" (to name a few) were all the rage, it seemed like everyone was buying CB (citzen's band) radios and putting them in their cars. My next-door neighbors at the time were really into this. Sometimes the lady would take me out driving around and we'd talk to the truckers on her CB. There were a couple of guys in my neighborhood who installed base stations in their houses and put large antennas on their roofs so they could talk to the truckers going down the interstate, which was a couple miles away. The CB craze got so big that Cadillac (and maybe other automakers, I'm not sure) actually offered CB radios as a factory-installed option.
    Our neighbor let us borrow a CB to use on a trip we took to the West Coast in 1977. I was 6 at the time, and let me just say that I learned a lot of neat new words from the truck drivers. My dad wasn't too pleased, and after the first couple hundred miles the CB stayed off for pretty much the remainder of the trip.

Anyone else have a CB back then?

(Oh yeah, one more thing: Never, EVER call a truck driver "good buddy." It doesn't mean what it used to.)

Subject: Re: Who had a CB radio back in the 70's?

Written By: Butterball on 01/03/05 at 6:57 pm

I had a CB radio in the late 70's. I only used it for it's PA function. I put a speaker behind the grill in my car, so that I could yell at the honies. Don't laugh...I know it sounds lame. ;D

Written By: AL-B on 01/03/05 at 8:51 pm

I had a CB radio in the late 70's. I only used it for it's PA function. I put a speaker behind the grill in my car, so that I could yell at the honies. Don't laugh...I know it sounds lame. ;D
Actually I don't think it's lame at all. Believe me, there's times I wish I had a PA system in my car (especially when I'm on a busy two-lane highway and I'm stuck behind some geezer going 42 mph). Actually that got me wondering--are PA systems illegal now? Because I haven't seen or heard one in a private vehicle in years.

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/03/05 at 8:57 pm

We never had one but a friend of mine was really into it back then.  His whole family had handles named after Hanna Barbera cartoon characters.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/03/05 at 9:59 pm

breaker, breaker one-nine...you got the Doctor ::) THAT was my "Handle" in the mid 70's. I did meet a friend who lived in Odessa, TX. I heard it was illegal to "Shoot Sjip" I think was the term...meaning when the ionosphere was high enough you could talk to people far away from where you lived. Anybody ever hear of that?

Written By: DON on 01/04/05 at 10:34 pm

OHH YES mercey sakes alive, ya hit me with a big 10+ lbs on that one, boy nearly blew my eardrums out

i was realy into cbs along with my whole family  i had a radio  that was concidered very illeagle back then. in the house  I had a johnson ssb (single sideband) with over 50 extra channells added in and a slider (clarifier) so wide i could slide from 1 chnl to the next without turning chnl selecter i was running a 50 watt linear amp with a moonraker 6 beam antenna whole set up was close to $1,000 back then. in the car i had a robyn ssb. i belonged to severale cb clubs  p-a-l . u-f-o, s-s-bers  and others I was able to skip talk all over the u.s. n canada. needless to say I regreted selling the outfit after 7 years, (just got sick of all the young kids and  jerks that were causing prblms over the waves)
actly, was into cbs  before they were a reg "household" or car item .
they rose in popularity in the 70s due to truck drivers (a big thanks n a big 10-4 to all of em and what they do for us all) and movies like smokey n the bandit and tv shows like dukes of hazard and movein on .  who can forget  the songs CONVOY and the other novelty songs that came out wow what memories lol well got to back it on out for now  goin 10-7 got to go 10-100 so have a good one today n a better one tomorow we be gone bye bye

Written By: Caroline on 01/07/05 at 9:28 pm

Oh Wow!!  I was probably around 10 years old or so and my dad had a CB with all the extras...in fact all the dads on my street had them.  We would sit in our dad's trucks for HOURS in the heat sweating our tails off talking to truckers..what a blast!!  great memories! Actually I had a CB myself in my last truck and I'm getting a new one for the truck I have now(pick up truck)  And actually my boyfriend is a trucker...his CB is so much fun!  "How many pounds I'm pushing on ya good buddy?  aww, wall to wall and tree top tall! That's a 10-4 good buddy..I'm out:) "  Hehe..can't talk like that today...I don't think they'd understand it...gosh, they don't even have handles anymore!  it's all very sad:)  everyone is "driver"...:(

Written By: Carrie on 01/08/05 at 1:17 am

We had one when I was a kid, so did my grandparents. I had a CB handle as well, but I can't remember it. I remember a couple Christmas we talked to "Santa Clause".

Subject: Who had a CB radio back in the 70's?

Written By: Dude111 on 12/20/17 at 10:27 am

I didnt get a CB until sometime in the early 80s.......

I still have it but my antenna whip got knocked off a few years ago during a wind event and I havent gotton round to getting another.........

Check for new replies or respond here...