inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remember when David Soul sang?

Written By: eightieschick53 on 01/05/05 at 7:01 pm

There is this David Soul song I absolutely love. It's called Don't Give Up On Us (Baby). Does anyone else remember this song? I heard it on the movie Starsky and Hutch when Owen Wilson sang a little bit of it and I loved it so much I searched the Internet for it (something I rarely do). I finally found a link to it, only I deleted by accident  ::). Luckly I just downloaded it again, so I get to hear it! YAAAY! LOL. Anyways, I hope someone remembers it, and I'm not the only one!

Subject: Re: Anyone remember when David Soul sang?

Written By: gord on 01/05/05 at 7:10 pm

I remember the song, I think Owen Wilson singing it in the movie was a nice touch, I was a big fan of the series. I remember about the same time the song was a hit on the radio that David Soul was was in some trouble, I forget the details,  possibly arrested for spousal abuse, anyone else remember anything about that?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/05/05 at 10:08 pm

I remember the song, I think Owen Wilson singing it in the movie was a nice touch, I was a big fan of the series. I remember about the same time the song was a hit on the radio that David Soul was was in some trouble, I forget the details,  possibly arrested for spousal abuse, anyone else remember anything about that?

It was "Don't Give Up On Us, Baby"

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 01/06/05 at 12:07 am

Yeah, I remember this being a hit, and have it on a CD somewhere..
BTW,Starsky & Hutch - The Complete 3rd Season will be released March 15th..

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/06/05 at 12:46 am

i enjoyed hearing "Don't Give Up On Us" on the radio back in the day  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/06/05 at 2:08 pm

"Don't Give Up On Us" is still played on the radio after all these years.

Howard

Written By: Paul on 01/06/05 at 5:51 pm

There is this David Soul song I absolutely love. It's called Don't Give Up On Us (Baby). Does anyone else remember this song?

Anyways, I hope someone remembers it, and I'm not the only one!

I'm sticking my neck out here, but I'd be willing to bet that anyone over the age of 30 will know it (even if they don't want to admit it...!)

David had a few more hits here in the UK, including another #1 - 'Silver Lady' - which, although good, couldn't quite match 'Don't Give Up On Us'...

And we can't get rid of him! Last year he became a UK citizen and is currently starring in 'Jerry Springer - The Opera' (honest!) somewhere in London's West End...

Written By: saver on 01/06/05 at 6:44 pm

I THINK IT WAS OUT IN THE LATE 70'S....Also I recall him singing it on American Bandstand...(but maybe they did Lip-syncing then).

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/07/05 at 7:26 am

I'm sticking my neck out here, but I'd be willing to bet that anyone over the age of 30 will know it (even if they don't want to admit it...!)

David had a few more hits here in the UK, including another #1 - 'Silver Lady' - which, although good, couldn't quite match 'Don't Give Up On Us'...

And we can't get rid of him! Last year he became a UK citizen and is currently starring in 'Jerry Springer - The Opera' (honest!) somewhere in London's West End...

I think he made a cameo appearance in the Starsky & Hutch movie too.

Written By: jaytee on 01/07/05 at 8:27 am

Unfortunately I can remember "Don't Give Up On Us Baby" and "Silver Lady".  They're as bad today as they were in the 70s :P

Written By: Carrie on 01/07/05 at 1:35 pm

My mom had this album when I was a kid. I remember by cousin, who also babysat us, was obsessed with David Soul and would listen to this non-stop when she watched us.

Written By: bj26 on 01/24/05 at 2:07 pm

Can you or can anyone verify whether Owen Wilson was really singing "Don't give up on us baby" in the movie, or was he lip sinking.  If that was really Wilson, he did the song pretty nice.  I also have Donnie Osmond doing the song, but it's too PG, I don't think Donnie put enough soul into it like David Soule  and Owen (if it was really him) did. Anyone know?

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/24/05 at 2:40 pm

Yep, that really was him singing, and he sounded beautiful.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/24/05 at 7:17 pm

Confession time. Believe it or not, I have David Soul's album-yup, his one and only album on vinyl. (I bought it many, many moons ago). There is a song on it called "Landlord" that I really liked but I don't think many would remember it. It also has "Don't Give Up On Us"

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/24/05 at 9:11 pm

I remember the song well.  :)

Written By: Class of 84 on 01/25/05 at 11:32 pm

Oh, I remember it allright. I refered to it on an earlier string about "sappiest songs of the 70's". Didn't he also sing "I like dreaming"?

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/26/05 at 7:27 am

Oh, I remember it allright. I refered to it on an earlier string about "sappiest songs of the 70's". Didn't he also sing "I like dreaming"?

Actually, I think a guy by the name of Kenny Nolan sang that one, although it did come out the same year as "Don't Give Up On Us"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/29/05 at 5:49 pm

I always liked that song AND I Like Dreaming :)

Written By: scarletgail on 01/29/05 at 10:56 pm

I remember cuz i was so in love with him ::)

Written By: Sunflower on 01/30/05 at 5:29 pm

Yup! I remember that song! I still even have the album!!! I was a huge Starsky & Hutch fan. I was totally in love with Starsky! Yea...Soul did have a problem with spousal abuse as far as I remember...

Written By: bj26 on 01/31/05 at 7:41 am

Yep, that really was him singing, and he sounded beautiful.  :)
Wilson did the song ok, but I just learned it on my guitar, and I can do it better than him
(in my own mind anyway :)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 01/31/05 at 7:44 am

Unfortunately I can remember "Don't Give Up On Us Baby" and "Silver Lady".  They're as bad today as they were in the 70s :P

They were no worse than his acting however  ;D

Written By: jaytee on 01/31/05 at 4:24 pm

They were no worse than his acting however  ;D

Last time I saw him was a guest apearance on "Little Britain" - it was very, very funny.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/05 at 10:39 am

Yup! I remember that song! I still even have the album!!! I was a huge Starsky & Hutch fan. I was totally in love with Starsky! Yea...Soul did have a problem with spousal abuse as far as I remember...

The spousal abuse was caused by a drinking problem. There really isn't any excuse for it but that is another topic.

Cat

Written By: eightiesfan on 02/03/05 at 8:38 am

How does David Soul's tune compare to  Don Johnson's song 'Heartbeat' in the 80's?  (better, worse, equally bad)

I may be in the minority on this one, but 'Heartbeat' is kind of a guilty pleasure for me - believe it or not, Don Johnson worked with some top-notch musicians on his brief attempt at a recording career, including Dweezil Zappa.  I like 'Don't Give Up On Us' as well,
(both Soul's and Wilson's versions).

Written By: bj26 on 02/03/05 at 10:44 am

How does David Soul's tune compare to  Don Johnson's song 'Heartbeat' in the 80's?  (better, worse, equally bad)

I may be in the minority on this one, but 'Heartbeat' is kind of a guilty pleasure for me - believe it or not, Don Johnson worked with some top-notch musicians on his brief attempt at a recording career, including Dweezil Zappa.  I like 'Don't Give Up On Us' as well,
(both Soul's and Wilson's versions).
Soul probably had professional training and had a nice tenor voice; Wilson's voice could not match Soul's voice, though Wilson did manage to stay on tune and gave a pretty fair rendition of the song.  I never heard Don Johnson sing but have heard from sources he was/is not a singer.

Written By: Mar on 02/04/05 at 4:35 pm

Just happened to land on this page...David Soul still is big in London...He's in the award winning Musical Jerry Springer the Opera...does'nt do any singing but plays Jerry...He's been on alot of hilarious brit shows and has a great sence of humor..he always brings up what a drunken jerk he was during S& H and immediatly after...sounds very sorry and has turned his life around...not with Jesus but with the help of famous British pals and of course Starsky(Paul Michael Glaser)They are still best friends! Mar

Written By: eightiesfan on 02/08/05 at 12:35 pm

Did you know that David Soul once appeared in an episode of All in the Family, a few years before Starsky & Hutch?  He played an old friend of Mike's, this artist, who does a nude painting of Gloria.

Written By: AngelOfHarlem on 02/08/05 at 1:00 pm

Anyone remember when David Soul sang?

Was that singing? 

I remember it well , thanks to my mother she played it constantly ::)

Written By: snoops71 on 02/12/05 at 2:08 am

Sure, I remember David Soul singing. I still like "Don't Give Up On Us." I heard it on the radio all the time when I was a kid. It's a very pretty love song. I used to have a crush on him, too. ;D

Written By: Baykina on 04/04/05 at 7:29 pm

SURE, DAVID IS A GREAT SINGER!!!!! HE HAS A WONDERFUL VOICE!!
I LOVE ALL HIS SONGS.... "I WISH I WAS", "SILVERLADY", "LANDLORD", "CARLITO" AND MANY, MANY OTHERS
REALLY DESERVE TO BE HEARD!!!
A FEW MONTHS AGO, HE RECORDED A NEW LIMITED VERSION OF "DON'T GIVE UP ON US", I GOT IT, AND HIS VOICE IS STILL
GREAT!!!!!!!! THE CD IS ALREADY SOLD OUT!!!!
I ALSO SAW MANY OF HIS MOVIES, LIKE "RAGE", "HOMEWARD BOUND", "THROUGH NAKED EYES"...HIS ACTING IS SO BRILLIANT...HE REALLY HAS AN INCREDIBLE TALENT!!!!
AND WHAT CAN I SAY ABOUT DAVID AS A HUMAN BEING...MANY FANS HAD THE CHANCE TO MEET HIM AFTER THE SHOW HE JUST PLAYED IN LONDON, "JERRY SPRINGER - THE OPERA", AND EVERYBODY SAY HE IS A VERY KIND MAN, CHARMING, AND VERY AFFABLE....

AND THE WONDERFUL THING IS THAT HE AND PAUL MICHAEL GLASER, HIS CO-STAR IN THE LEGENDARY 70'S SHOW "STARSKY AND HUTCH", ARE STILL BEST FRIENDS!!!!

THEY ARE NOW PLANNING TO DO A REUNION MOVIE TOGETHER...
AND HERE'S  A PETITION TO SUPPORT THEIR PROJECT:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pauldavy/petition.html

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/04/05 at 8:37 pm

When I heard about his temper and how he beat his wife/girlfriend...I kinda stopped caring. If he's gotten help and is recovered that's great ;)

Written By: jymsmth on 04/04/05 at 10:59 pm

There is this David Soul song I absolutely love. It's called Don't Give Up On Us (Baby). Does anyone else remember this song? I heard it on the movie Starsky and Hutch when Owen Wilson sang a little bit of it and I loved it so much I searched the Internet for it (something I rarely do). I finally found a link to it, only I deleted by accident  ::). Luckly I just downloaded it again, so I get to hear it! YAAAY! LOL. Anyways, I hope someone remembers it, and I'm not the only one!
Yeah,my friends and I thought D,S. was a wannabee popstar.capitalizing on his successful TV show{can't blame him,really} but it received SO MUCH airplay I wanted to vomit to hear it.

Written By: Al on 04/05/05 at 4:22 am

Sorry, but yes I do. :)

Written By: Phylo1979 on 04/05/05 at 8:47 am

Does anyone remember the TV show "Here Comes The Brides" which starred David Soul AND Bobby Sherman (Julie Do Ya Love Me,  Easy Come Easy Go,  Na Na If I Had You)?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/05/05 at 11:03 am

Does anyone remember the TV show "Here Comes The Brides" which starred David Soul AND Bobby Sherman (Julie Do Ya Love Me,  Easy Come Easy Go,  Na Na If I Had You)?

Oh yeah, I remember. Used to watch that show all the time.

Cat

Written By: Blintz on 04/13/05 at 8:34 pm

Ok, so David is no saint, yeah he had a problem, but he has worked hard to overcome his demons and move on.  No one is perfect and we shouldnt judge him because he made a mistake, he will have to live with what he did everyday.  :-[

People like Paul Glaser know what he did and he still loves him, so why should we just stop caring because he stuffed up?
  8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/13/05 at 11:00 pm

Ok, so David is no saint, yeah he had a problem, but he has worked hard to overcome his demons and move on.  No one is perfect and we shouldnt judge him because he made a mistake, he will have to live with what he did everyday.  :-IF he's gone to therapy and resolved his past demon...and apologized to those he beat, I have no problem with him. Sincere remorse brings a second chance ;)

Written By: Blintz on 04/13/05 at 11:22 pm

Yeah it does   8)

Written By: j on 04/18/05 at 7:57 pm

The spousal abuse was caused by a drinking problem. There really isn't any excuse for it but that is another topic.

Cat

And it has about as much to do with the song as does the statement made here.   He was and is an incredible actor with a wonderful voice.

j

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/06 at 3:29 pm

Recently played Jerry Springer in that Jerry Springer based musical.

Written By: Abix on 10/30/06 at 8:33 pm

I always thought Starsky was the cuter of the two, but I did like that song that made the charts back then. Gosh, that was nearly 30 yrs ago! lol!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/31/06 at 1:02 am

I always thought Starsky was the cuter of the two, but I did like that song that made the charts back then. Gosh, that was nearly 30 yrs ago! lol!
1976, you are making me feel old now.

Written By: Lindee on 10/31/06 at 10:04 am

I THINK IT WAS OUT IN THE LATE 70'S....Also I recall him singing it on American Bandstand...(but maybe they did Lip-syncing then).

I remember him singing it on Merv Griffin or The Dinah Shore Show.

Didn't David Soul marry Bobby Sherman's ex-wife?

Written By: Abix on 10/31/06 at 10:21 am

I remember him singing it on Merv Griffin or The Dinah Shore Show.

Didn't David Soul marry Bobby Sherman's ex-wife?

I saw him sing it on the Mike Douglas show.

Written By: KKay on 10/31/06 at 10:35 am

Not on ly do I remember it, but I sing it in a 70s act.

Always loved that tune, and I really havent' stopped listening to it.
I wonder what the other songs on his album are like...

Owen Wilson sang it in the cheezy Starsky and Hutch movie he made with Ben STiller....funny.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/06 at 12:02 pm

I saw him sing it on the Mike Douglas show.

I remember him co-hosting the Mike Douglas show for a week. He sang on there-the first place I heard him do the song "Landlord" (that I mentioned in my first post on this thread). That was when I bought the album.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...