inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TISWAS

Written By: senator12v on 01/16/05 at 9:01 am

Is this the best Saturday morning programme ever, I know it ran into they 80's but for me its best work was the late 70's.

Just a couple of quiz questions for you all.

What does Tiswas stand for
What was Bob Carolgees other puppet called (not the dog)
Name at least 6 charactors
Fill in the gaps of this introduction    ***** Elbow, man of *******, stargazer **********, prophet ***********, are you allright then ****. (something like that anyway)
What does DCM stand for

Enjoy
Dave

Subject: Re: TISWAS

Written By: Paul on 01/16/05 at 1:59 pm

Groundbreaking in the extreme, this show...nothing was like it before and it's repercussions still rattle kids (and adults) TV to this day...

'Tiswas' stood for 'Today Is Saturday - What A Shambles', which was basically what the whole programme was all about...

Carolgees' other puppet wa the rather boring Cough The Cat...

Six characters? Right, newsreader Trevor McDoughnut, Smello, 'David Bellamy' - (gwapple me gwapenuts, Cwis), Algernon Winster Spencer Churchill Razzamatazz, etc., Houdi-Elbow and not forgetting The Phantom Flan Flinger...

Houdi-Elbow was the man of mystery, stargazer ?, prophet extraordinare - who'd normally respond 'Oi dunno, Chrees...' in a thick Brummie accent...

DCM? 'De Condensed Milk'...

Us poor sods in London only got to see the last couple of years of the 'classic' line-up before Tarrant jumped ship - the last of the ITV regions to succumb to its charms...

You can probably guess that after all these years, it did leave something of a mark on me...!!

Written By: Bobby on 01/16/05 at 4:28 pm

I didn't watch TISWAS personally (too young see) but I wish I did because my dad absolutely loved it and said he hasn't seen anything like it since.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/05 at 4:53 pm

With the stars that were spawned for this Saturday show, including OTT (the adult form with a similar format), I wonder does video tape still exist of these shows.

Written By: karen on 01/17/05 at 5:00 am

'Tiswas' stood for 'Today Is Saturday - What A Shambles', which was basically what the whole programme was all about...

No, it was 'This is Saturday - Watch and Smile'

I can still remember the postcode
B1 2 JPeeeeeeee!

Written By: maddog on 01/18/05 at 7:07 pm

A Saturday morning ritual of my teenage years, even when I was about 17 and I was led astray into a world of drink and drugs.
We used to watch TISWAS in a hungover state on a Saturday morning.
My favourite character was always John Gorman (ex of Scaffold) as the Masked Poet. TISWAS was Lenny Henry's finest hour, IMHO, I've really not found anything he's done since very funny. 

I also remember the short lived "adult" spin off program OTT (Over The Top) which lasted only one series, I think.
I saw the OTT live roadshow while at college in 1982. If I ever get onto "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" I will take the opportunity to remind Chris Tarrant of that evening as I was one of the stage invasion party who debagged him at the end of the show. He was very good about it, he laughed whoelheartedly and signed autographs for us when we returned his trousers at the stage door later in the evening. 

Check for new replies or respond here...