inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sex Pistols or The Ramones?

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/18/05 at 7:52 am

Which of these punk bands do you like best? 

My vote is for the Ramones.  8)

Subject: Re: Sex Pistols or The Ramones?

Written By: gord on 01/18/05 at 8:08 am

The Ramones, easy :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/18/05 at 9:15 am

The Ramones.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 01/18/05 at 9:27 am

sex pistols

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 01/18/05 at 9:30 am

Sex Pistols

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/18/05 at 10:46 am

The Ramones!

Tanya

Written By: bj26 on 01/18/05 at 11:06 am

I vote for the Ramones, btw anyone see the Sex Pistols in Atlanta at the Great Southeast Music Hall in '77?

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/18/05 at 11:41 am

Never mind the bollocks. . .

my vote goes to the Sex Pistols

Written By: maddog on 01/18/05 at 6:57 pm

Yike, tough choice but patriotically I had to give my vote to the Sex Pistols.

Written By: Bobby on 01/18/05 at 7:35 pm

I liked the idea behind The Sex Pistols but I preferred The Ramone's songs (Blitzkreig Bop, Baby I love you and Merry Christmas are my favourite tracks).

So I voted Ramones.  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/18/05 at 9:50 pm

Accusations of a murderer......I'll choose the Ramones.....plus they were on The Simpsons :)

Written By: senator12v on 01/22/05 at 2:10 pm

No contest

The Sex Pistols

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/13/05 at 9:34 am

The Sex Pistols were a bunch of posuers, with the musical talent of the average garage band. I bought 'Never mind the bollocks' and it was a load of bollocks (save anarchy in the uk and god save the queen) mindless, without a hint of melody, rhythme or composition. The Ramones were (a) the pioneers of 'punk rock' as opposed to 'true' punk and (b) actually wrote good songs. But both of these bands are far overshadowed by the greatest punk band ever (and one of the greatest rock bands) - The Clash.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/13/05 at 12:17 pm

The Sex Pistols were a bunch of posuers, with the musical talent of the average garage band. I bought 'Never mind the bollocks' and it was a load of bollocks (save anarchy in the uk and god save the queen) mindless, without a hint of melody, rhythme or composition. The Ramones were (a) the pioneers of 'punk rock' as opposed to 'true' punk and (b) actually wrote good songs. But both of these bands are far overshadowed by the greatest punk band ever (and one of the greatest rock bands) - The Clash.

i don't know why you called the sex pistols poseurs when it was them who brought about the popularity of punk, they made it mainstream. and yes, i know that the ramones were one of the early pioneers of punk.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/05 at 6:07 pm

Sex Pistols

Howard

Written By: jiminy on 02/14/05 at 6:24 pm

The Sex Pistols, they actually lived the punk life style, sex drugs and rock and roll to the max, The Sex Pistols biography is a great read "12 Days on the Road: The Sex Pistols and America" it documents their only US Tour. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0688112749/026-8114648-9105206

Written By: jaytee on 02/16/05 at 4:32 pm

Sex Pistols

Written By: Paul on 02/16/05 at 5:06 pm

Good as they were, on the lowpoint that was 'Baby I Love You', I couldn't vote for The Ramones...

Anyway, The Pistols had more of an impact...clever marketeering of course, but a bloody strong one...!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/17/05 at 12:44 am

I picked The Ramones, only because I'm not familiar with The Sex Pistols' music.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/28/05 at 12:02 am

The Ramones freakin' ROCK!! Hands down...the best band EVER!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/28/05 at 6:27 am

The Sex Pistols

by a country mile  :)

Written By: Ansky1213 on 02/28/05 at 9:21 pm

The Ramones by far. I love 'em both, but the Ramones are just better musicians (seriously, Sid Vicious can't play for his life!). Also, the Sex Pistols were only created to cause controversy, whereas the Ramones are more legitimate (at least in my eyes). However, there is no denying that "Never Mind the Bollocks..." is one of the best albums of all time, and better than any single Ramones album.

Written By: mandamoo on 03/02/05 at 6:22 am

The Sex Pistols without hesitation  :)

Written By: vesap on 03/16/05 at 12:44 pm

The Ramones, my 4 and 6 year old kids can´t be wrong. "Hi Ho Let`s Go". It´s nice to listen how Finnish speaking kids sing Blitzgrieg Bop... ::)

Written By: Sleeve on 09/12/07 at 3:47 pm

shut up

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/12/07 at 4:00 pm

i have never really been able to get into either of them, but i guess i'll go with the ramones.

Written By: whiteport on 09/20/07 at 7:47 pm

The Ramones

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/20/07 at 7:56 pm

The Ramones.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/20/07 at 10:58 pm

shut up
We don't talk to people around here that way.  The purpose of a pole is to express your opinion. 

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/07 at 12:22 am

I never really cared for the Pistols.  I liked PiL better

I chose the Ramones.  I LOVED their version of 'Baby, I Love You'

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/21/07 at 12:44 am

It has to be The Sex Pistols, who are making a comeback later this year.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/21/07 at 8:23 am

I know I've already answered...but I need to answer again. I love the Ramones...they have been my favorite band for years now. I wish I would have had the chance to have been around at the height of their popularity. BTW, my cousin met Joey Ramone at some bar in NY...he said he was pretty quiet...but polite.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/21/07 at 3:44 pm

The Ramones, for sure.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/21/07 at 4:18 pm

Neither, I argue with The Boy all the time over this, Both are extremely overrated. The Ramones are 4 chord wonders
and the Sex Pistols are, well, I'll keep my comments to myself since I can't print them on this forum.

Strange thing is; I was into punk in the late 70's and early 80's but it was The Tubes, The Dead Kennedy's and even
The Dead Milkmen. I just always hated The Sex Pistols and The Ramones....Sorry Erin.

Written By: La Roche on 09/21/07 at 4:25 pm

The Ramones are the superior band, that being said, neither band was particularly musically talented. The Ramones were able to move with the times and put out a fun, fast product that people wanted to listen to. The Sex Pistols epitomized the whole punk genre, no talent losers who blew up and couldn't handle it... that's why it's fun.

Interesting story.

Lemmy (the greatest man to ever live) worked with both bands, in fact, he tried to teach Sid how to play the bass and ended up giving up because he was so musically disinclined.
After about 1990 any money The Ramones made was due to Lemmy.  ;D

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/21/07 at 4:30 pm

Both are extremely overrated. The Ramones are 4 chord wonders, and the Sex Pistols are, well, I'll keep my comments to myself since I can't print them on this forum.

I agree, but I don't hate them.

The thing with The Ramones is that all thier songs sound the same to me.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/22/07 at 12:32 am

Neither, I argue with The Boy all the time over this, Both are extremely overrated. The Ramones are 4 chord wonders
and the Sex Pistols are, well, I'll keep my comments to myself since I can't print them on this forum.

Strange thing is; I was into punk in the late 70's and early 80's but it was The Tubes, The Dead Kennedy's and even
The Dead Milkmen. I just always hated The Sex Pistols and The Ramones....Sorry Erin.

:( hahaha..it's ok, to each his/her own. ;)

Written By: child of the 70s on 09/23/07 at 8:45 pm

The Ramones. in a walk

Check for new replies or respond here...