inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Genesis-Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins ?

Written By: gord on 01/27/05 at 8:48 am

Peter Gabriel fronted the band for the first half of the 70s, Phil Collins the rest. Both went on to successful solo careers. I like both equally up to and including the album 'DUKE' from 1980, after that Genesis went down hill for me. As for solo work it's Gabriel for me :)

Subject: Re: Genesis-Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins ?

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/27/05 at 10:12 am

Phil Collins  :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/27/05 at 12:08 pm

To be fair, I didn't really follow Genesis until the 80's  :-[

Anyway I picked Phil Collins because I really liked Genesis in the 80's.  I like Peter Gabriel's solo work too    :D

For whatever reason, Phil Collins' solo work never grabbed me the way Phil Collins as Genesis front man did...

Written By: sputnikcorp on 01/27/05 at 12:34 pm

genesis was a cool art/prog rock band under peter gabriel. when what-his-face took over they became 'popular'. i always liked peter gabriel's solo work and never phil collins.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/05 at 12:40 pm

Peter Gabriel  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/27/05 at 2:03 pm

Who racked up more hits? Peter Gabriel OR Phil Collins ?

Howard

Written By: gord on 01/27/05 at 2:40 pm

Who racked up more hits? Peter Gabriel OR Phil Collins ?

Howard

Genesis had more hits on the radio after Gabriel left, that's not saying the music was better though :)

Written By: Howard on 01/27/05 at 2:57 pm

Genesis had more hits on the radio after Gabriel left, that's not saying the music was better though :)

This must've been in the 80's.

Howard

Written By: gord on 01/27/05 at 3:17 pm

This must've been in the 80's.

Howard

for sure Howard, most of their hits came in the 80's. I think the song 'follow you, follow me' from the album 'and then there was three' in 1978 was their first  biggest single :)

Written By: Howard on 01/27/05 at 3:20 pm

for sure Howard, most of their hits came in the 80's. I think the song 'follow you, follow me' from the album 'and then there was three' in 1978 was their biggest single :)

also "I Missed Again" &"In The Air Tonight". :)

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/27/05 at 10:19 pm

I liked Genesis more with Phil; though Peter worked out better as a solo artist.

Tanya

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/28/05 at 12:02 pm

Phil Collins  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 01/28/05 at 12:27 pm

Isn't it strange how the people who voted "Neither" never bother to show themselves and tell us "why"  ::) I chose Both as they were both talented yet different bands ;)

Written By: Howard on 01/28/05 at 2:25 pm

Phil Collins Peter is better as a solo artist.

Howard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/28/05 at 7:49 pm

Phil Collins.

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/06 at 10:31 pm

I never much liked Gabriel in Genesis, although 'I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)' is an OK song.  I liked Phil Collins the best.  I grew up on all those 80's Genesis hits :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/25/06 at 10:50 pm

I chose Phil Collins, because I much prefer what Gabriel did as a solo artist than anything he did with Genesis.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 4:28 pm

Phil Collins, no doubt. Whether solo or in the band, he was totally the definition of happy '80s pop/rock.

His Genesis songs after 1981 are basically extensions of his solo stuff, just more "instrumentally layered" and sometimes slightly more hard rockish (i.e. Just a Job To Do, Tonight Tonight Tonight). But overall it's the same style - and that's a good thing with me, LOL. :)

The only Peter Gabriel solo songs I like enough to listen to on a regular basis are "Shock the Monkey", "Big Time" and "In Your Eyes".

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/26/06 at 4:32 pm

Phil Collins, no doubt. Whether solo or in the band, he was totally the definition of happy '80s pop/rock.

His Genesis songs after 1981 are basically extensions of his solo stuff, just more "instrumentally layered" and sometimes slightly more hard rockish (i.e. Just a Job To Do, Tonight Tonight Tonight). But overall it's the same style - and that's a good thing with me, LOL. :)

The only Peter Gabriel solo songs I like enough to listen to on a regular basis are "Shock the Monkey", "Big Time" and "In Your Eyes".

Not a big fan of Sledgehammer?

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/26/06 at 6:01 pm

Not a big fan of Sledgehammer?

Forgot about that one.  ;) That's one example of an "okay" song with a video that really make me get into it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/26/06 at 6:09 pm

Does anyone have more 1980s-style drum machines than Peter Gabriel?

Written By: NozmoKing on 02/26/06 at 9:54 pm

Peter Gabriel...  The music with Phil Collins became more mainstream and popular to the masses. Its not to say that it is bad. I just liked the more "Progressive/Art Rock" style they did with Gabriel as front man. "Follow You, Follow Me" was a good song, but one that you can tired of hearing pretty quickly too.

NozmoKing

Written By: zotsfreak on 03/02/06 at 11:37 am

Peter Gabriel...  The music with Phil Collins became more mainstream and popular to the masses. Its not to say that it is bad. I just liked the more "Progressive/Art Rock" style they did with Gabriel as front man. "Follow You, Follow Me" was a good song, but one that you can tired of hearing pretty quickly too.

NozmoKing

For me, Genesis died with the departure of Peter G. If you like top 40 oriented pop muzak, you'll like Phil C Genesis better. If you like more theatrical, classical influenced, complex, highly intelligent / insightfull and allegorical songs such as Suppers Ready, The Return of the Giant Hogweed, Get 'em Out By Friday, Cinema Show, The Knife, Dancing Out With the Moonlit Knight, The Musical Box, etc, Phil Collins is not your man; nor a writer of this type music. However if the band wants to make money and sell mass quantities of pop based muzak- they did the right thing by enlisting the talents of Phil.  Also, for fans of the real Genesis, there is a band called The Musical Box that does shows of all the early stuff complete with costumes and EXACT replication af the stage shows as performed by Genesis. I last saw them last in Buffalo where they played the entire "Selling England by the Pound" LP COVER TO COVER!! PLUS, the songs Suppers Ready, The Musical Box, and Get 'em Out By Friday. It's an amazing show if anyone has the chance to see them, They have a website, too.

Written By: KKay on 03/02/06 at 12:23 pm

I like Phil with Genesis and not solo.
I love Peter alone, without the band.

Now, are  they really all going to get together for this rumored reunion?

Subject: Genesis-Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins ?

Written By: Dude111 on 12/20/17 at 9:49 pm

Peter Gabriel fronted the band for the first half of the 70s, Phil Collins the rest. Both went on to successful solo careers. I like both equally up to and including the album 'DUKE' from 1980, after that Genesis went down hill for me. As for solo work it's Gabriel for me :)

I like early Genesis (Peter) I have thier first album which is insane and I also have SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND (Also good) -- Phil is in that one.......

I like Phil alot but Peter is BETTER in Genesis..........

Written By: Howard on 12/21/17 at 7:00 am

Phil Collins

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/10/19 at 1:05 am

Both, although growing up in th 80s Phil Collins was so popular. I mean you had Madonna, Prince, MJ, him and a few others. I never heard the old Genesis stuff until the 90s.

Written By: Contigo on 06/26/21 at 12:42 pm

Both. Gabriel with Genesis was quite different from 1980s Collins Genesis.  I enjoyed both their prog rock 1970s sound and their pop 1980s sound.  Not too many bands evolved/changed as much as they did. 
By the way  I got to see Gabriel Genesis, Collins Genesis and both of them as solo artists. 
Tony Banks was a great songwriter and a genius on keyboards, he doesnt get enough credit.

Check for new replies or respond here...