inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A 40 somethings music memories of the 70's in the UK

Written By: senator12v on 01/29/05 at 12:23 pm

I have been on this site for a short while and I cant help noticing that most of the bands I grew up with never get a mention. Here are a few of the groups I took an interest in  and their approximate dates. What groups did the now 40 somethings grow up with.

1972 (ish) - 1976 THE GLAM ROCK MOVEMENT
T rex, Slade, Sweet, The Glitterband, Thin Lizzy, Status Quo, Mud, Suzi Quattro, Abba, Queen, Sparks, 10CC, Wizzard, Alice Cooper (just schools out), Cockney rebel, Rod Stewart and Faces, Hawkwind.

1976-1978 My punk years
The Sex Pistols, The Dammed, Sham 69, The Clash, The Stranglers, Elvis Costello, X ray spex, Generation X,

1978-1980 The ska years
Secret affair, Madness, The beat, the Merton Parkas, Selector, The Specials, The Bodysnatchers.

In addition to these there were the obvious Disco and Soul stars like Barry White, The 3 Degrees, Tavares, Tramps, Edwin Starr, Donna Summer, Detroit Emeralds, Detroit Spinners, The O jays, The Floaters,Heatwave and loads loads more.

Looking back I think anyone who is the same age as me must share some good memories of those groups and have fond memories of most of the songs they wrote.

Did the US have similar music to this.

Subject: Re: A 40 somethings music memories of the 70's in the UK

Written By: gemini61 on 01/29/05 at 5:13 pm

As for this "40 something", in the U.S., these are a few that I really liked in the 70s.

Elton John, Aerosmith, E.L.O., Supertramp, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, Heart, Paul & Wings, those are a few that come to mind right now.  :) 

Written By: gord on 01/29/05 at 5:36 pm

As for this "40 something", in the U.S., these are a few that I really liked in the 70s.

Elton John, Aerosmith, E.L.O., Supertramp, Boston, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, Heart, Paul & Wings, those are a few that come to mind right now.  :) 

To gemeni61s favorites I'd add , Pink Floyd,  The Who , AC/DC, Van Halen, Genesis and Canadians Rush and Max Webster :)

Written By: zcrito on 01/29/05 at 8:54 pm

I have been on this site for a short while and I cant help noticing that most of the bands I grew up with never get a mention. Here are a few of the groups I took an interest in  and their approximate dates. What groups did the now 40 somethings grow up with.

1972 (ish) - 1976 THE GLAM ROCK MOVEMENT
T rex, Slade, Sweet, The Glitterband, Thin Lizzy, Status Quo, Mud, Suzi Quattro, Abba, Queen, Sparks, 10CC, Wizzard, Alice Cooper (just schools out), Cockney rebel, Rod Stewart and Faces, Hawkwind.

1976-1978 My punk years
The Sex Pistols, The Dammed, Sham 69, The Clash, The Stranglers, Elvis Costello, X ray spex, Generation X,

1978-1980 The ska years
Secret affair, Madness, The beat, the Merton Parkas, Selector, The Specials, The Bodysnatchers.

In addition to these there were the obvious Disco and Soul stars like Barry White, The 3 Degrees, Tavares, Tramps, Edwin Starr, Donna Summer, Detroit Emeralds, Detroit Spinners, The O jays, The Floaters,Heatwave and loads loads more.

Looking back I think anyone who is the same age as me must share some good memories of those groups and have fond memories of most of the songs they wrote.

Did the US have similar music to this.

Welcome to inthe00s.com, senator.

Most of the artists you mentioned (the ones in blue) have been mentioned here either before or all the time. Somebody has done a music poll already on probably most of them by now. Do a search and you'll see.

Don't get "stuck" in the '70s section. There are alot of good threads+posts in all the decades.

:)

Written By: karen on 01/31/05 at 5:02 am

I like most of the bands you mentioned though some of the early stuff passed me by.  If it wasn't on Top of the Pops I didn't get to hear it!

I've seen The Damned and The Stranglers in concert although later on than the dates you mentioned.  It was probably 1986 I think when I saw The Damned, they had Eloise in the charts at the time.  The Stranglers was later again probably '89.

There's a few Brits on the board who were into a lot of the stuff you mention.  I guess the boards are quite dominated by the US members so lots of this stuff just doesn't get talked about.  It doesn't mean it won't if you want to start a thread about specific groups.

Written By: ralfy on 07/04/16 at 8:23 pm

On the 40th anniversary of The Clash:

"The night 40 years ago punk rocked Sheffield"

http://www.thestar.co.uk/whats-on/gigs-and-music/the-night-40-years-ago-punk-rocked-sheffield-1-7995555

Written By: Howard on 07/05/16 at 2:24 pm

On the 40th anniversary of The Clash:

"The night 40 years ago punk rocked Sheffield"

http://www.thestar.co.uk/whats-on/gigs-and-music/the-night-40-years-ago-punk-rocked-sheffield-1-7995555

Happy 40th to The Clash. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...