inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70's Variety TV Shows

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/29/05 at 9:40 pm

It occurs to me that a very popular form of TV entertainment in the 70's was variety shows.  Which ones do you remember (fondly, or not so fondly)?

I was recently reminded of the Smothers Brothers.  Their variety show was a frequent one for me.

Remember that Sonny and Cher had a show?

What are some of the other variety shows you remember?  Or memorable episodes?

Subject: Re: 70's Variety TV Shows

Written By: gord on 01/29/05 at 9:59 pm

I think the Carol Burnet show was a favorite of mine growing up, I loved how Tim Conway and Harvey Korman would lose it laughing in the middle of a sketch ;D does anyone know what year the show started and finished ?

Written By: Tam on 01/29/05 at 10:36 pm

The Gong Show

Written By: scarletgail on 01/29/05 at 10:55 pm

Laugh In that was the 70's wasn't it? :-\\

Written By: Tam on 01/29/05 at 10:59 pm

Laugh In first aired in 1968 but finished in 73.... so ya - I would say it is a 70's variety show

Written By: fragswife on 01/29/05 at 11:00 pm

Yes I think so.

Donnie and Marie (can't remember what years though)

Written By: Tam on 01/29/05 at 11:05 pm

The Flip Wilson Show 1970-74

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/30/05 at 6:47 am

Sonny and Cher

Tanya

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/30/05 at 9:10 am

The Brady Bunch Variety Hour. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/05 at 1:11 pm

There were so many:

Sonny & Cher
Mac Davis
Donny & Marie
Laugh-In
Flip Wilson
The Brady Bunch
Julie Andrews (which I think was in the 60s)
Hee Haw
Andy Williams (again, I think in the 60s)
Marilyn Macoo and Billy Davis Jr.
Everly Bros
Sha Na Na
Don Knotts
Hudson Bros.
Jim Stafford
Smothers Bros
Starland Vocal Band
The Muppet Show
Carol Burnett

(Did I forget any?)

My favorites are (in no order):

Carol Burnett
The Muppet Show
Laugh-In
Flip Wilson
Mac Davis

Cat

Written By: fragswife on 01/30/05 at 2:04 pm

Wow, thanks for that walk down memory lane!!! 

Sigh...  "Those Were The Days"  (Archie Bunker)

Written By: gemini61 on 01/30/05 at 2:23 pm

I loved the Carol Burnett Show. I watched Laugh-In and The Smothers Brothers, but was only around 8-9 yrs old, and didn't really get alot of the humor. The Smothers Brothers were pretty political in their humor and against the Veitnam war, which probably made the execs pretty nervous back then!

Written By: Howard on 01/30/05 at 6:12 pm

I think the Carol Burnet show was a favorite of mine growing up, I loved how Tim Conway and Harvey Korman would lose it laughing in the middle of a sketch ;D does anyone know what year the show started and finished ?

I think 1971-1976? I'm not so sure. :-\\

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/30/05 at 6:13 pm

The Flip Wilson Show 1970-74

occasionally,I watch that show on TVLand.He is extremely funny. ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/30/05 at 6:14 pm

Was there ever a Jacksons variety hour? ???

Howard

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 01/30/05 at 7:47 pm

I just picked up volume 2 of "Hee Haw" featuring Johnny cash in this 1974 episode....It was great to see Buck,Roy,The Hagers and the rest of the Hee haw gang in their prime..

Written By: Butterball on 01/30/05 at 8:47 pm

Was there ever a Jacksons variety hour? ???

Howard

Yes. The Summer of either '76 or '77. How about the Captain and Tennille?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/05 at 10:01 am

It started in 1967 and ended in 1978. I used to love when Tim and Harvey would crack up, too. I always thought that was funnier than the skit itself. But, my FAVORITE skit was "Went With the Wind"-the parody of "Gone With the Wind". I still laugh thinking of Carol coming down the stairs with that curtain rod.

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/31/05 at 10:06 am

I wasn't around then, but I do see reruns of "Rowan & Martin's Laugh In" on the TRIO channel periodically.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/05 at 4:09 pm

I wonder if The Jacksons Variety Show lasted on the air?

Howard

Written By: Howard on 01/31/05 at 4:10 pm

How long was a variety show back then? ???

Howard

Written By: gord on 01/31/05 at 4:55 pm

How long was a variety show back then? ???

Howard

most were 1 hr Howard :)

Written By: Howard on 01/31/05 at 5:00 pm

most were 1 hr Howard :)

Ok,I see Thanks. :)

Howard

Written By: gord on 01/31/05 at 5:05 pm

It started in 1967 and ended in 1978. I used to love when Tim and Harvey would crack up, too. I always thought that was funnier than the skit itself. But, my FAVORITE skit was "Went With the Wind"-the parody of "Gone With the Wind". I still laugh thinking of Carol coming down the stairs with that curtain rod.

Cat

Thanks Cat, I didn't think it went back that far,would  67  have been about the same time laugh-in started ?  :)

Written By: gemini61 on 01/31/05 at 6:53 pm

But, my FAVORITE skit was "Went With the Wind"-the parody of "Gone With the Wind". I still laugh thinking of Carol coming down the stairs with that curtain rod.

Cat

I forgot all about that one! That was hilarious!  ;D 

Written By: Mar on 02/04/05 at 5:09 pm

I was in college from 1975-1979 and we watched an old black &white Tv in the dorm rec room...fuzzy picture..but we would watch Starsky & Hutch every wensday nite! Oh, and Saturday nites  were for getting high and watching Saturday Night Live !!!!!      John Belucci ,Steve Martin and Gilda Radner !!! The'70's were so much fun! Great Music Great Pot Great Friends! Mar

Written By: jiminy on 02/04/05 at 5:16 pm

What about Tony Orlando, he looked so much like Freddie Prince that Freddie came on in Tony's place and the audience didn't notice

Written By: Jonnet on 02/10/05 at 10:27 am

8)Where could i view the video clip shown during the Smothers Bros show "Classical Gas Video"? I am working on a quick cut peice and i have been told about it? sure would like to see it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/10/05 at 10:38 am

8)Where could i view the video clip shown during the Smothers Bros show "Classical Gas Video"? I am working on a quick cut peice and i have been told about it? sure would like to see it.

The Smothers Bros are now on VHS and DVD. There are a couple of them and I'm not too sure which one shows Mason Williams preforming. I do have a CD of Classical Gas. It really is a great tune.

Cat

Written By: snoops71 on 02/12/05 at 2:23 am

My favorites from when I grew up are-

Carol Burnett Show
Hee Haw
Sonny and Cher
Donny and Marie

My other favorites are-

Laugh-In
Flip Wilson Show

I was being born during the time they were both on.

Written By: snoops71 on 02/12/05 at 2:25 am

Yes I think so.

Donnie and Marie (can't remember what years though)

Donny and Marie was on from 1976-79.

Written By: snoops71 on 02/12/05 at 2:29 am

The Jacksons Variety Show was on in the summer of '76. Yes, there was a Captain and Tennille Show, too. I think it ran from like '77 to '78. I used to watch it.

I forgot to name the Muppet Show, the Gong Show, and the Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr. Show as favorites of mine, too.

Written By: fragswife on 02/13/05 at 1:38 pm

Donny and Marie was on from 1976-79.

Thanks snoops71.  Apparently I can't spell either!!!  ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/13/05 at 12:03 pm

Hee Haw was a very funny show! I would watch that and Benny Hill with my mom and dad.

Erin :)

Written By: Valhalla on 08/23/05 at 9:16 am

Cat

classic skit! one of my favourites was the skit Mama(later to be the show Mama's Family) and they sat down to play the board game Sorry. i also enjoyed the beginning of the show when carol burnette would answer questions from the audience. by the way, do kids nowadays know what a board game is?

Written By: Mushroom on 08/23/05 at 8:49 pm

(Did I forget any?)

How about "Shields And Yarnell"?  Who can ever forget the variety show with mimes?

Then there was "The Captain & Tenielle".  I still remember them showing clips of the Captain's favorite show, "Staircase & Hutch", a rather bizzare cop show parody with furniture.

"The Dick Van Dyke Show", which for many of us gave our first glimpse into the demented mind of Andy Kaufman.  They did a bit once with an "Elvis Impersonator" contest.  They had 3 guys, a fat black guy, an Asian guy, and Andy (who was doing his Latka Gravis character, years before Taxi).  Andy did a rock solid impersonation of Elvis (complete with tossing toilet paper scarfs to the audience), only to loose to one of the others (I think it was the black guy that one).  The bit was so popular, Dick had him back several other times before the show was cancelled.

The Glen Campbell Goodtime Show.  I barely remember this one.

Tony Orlando & Dawn.  To bad I was to young to appreciate this one.  Dawn were 2 hot looking ladies.

Saturday Night Live, the only "Variety Show" to last until the present time.  Nothing can ever be better then the original 2 "Not Ready For Prime Time Players" casts.

Hanna-Barbera Happy Hour.  This one was fairly unique, because it was the first time that a lot of people got to see "Blue Screen" technology on a weekly TV show.  The hosts were 2 life-sized puppets, who were animated with a crew who wore blue outfits, so they would not be visible with the chroma-key overlays.  Most of the skits were parodies of current popular TV shows and movies.

The Golddiggers.  I only remember this, because they were Dean Martin's dancers.  I only remember watching it a few times, probably around 1972.

After Sonny & Cher got divorced, they both had 1 season flops.  "The Sonny Comedy Revue" and *The Cher Show" both lasted for 1 season (1974-1975) before they got together for 1 last season of "The Sony And Cher Show".

The Redd Foxx Comedy Hour.  Neither my parents nor myself were fans of him, so I don't think I ever saw it more then once or twice.  I much prefered Flip Wilson.

The Rich Little Show.  Rich is one of my favorite commedians.  He excelled at impersonations and improvisation.  The thing I remember most is that for the last 10 minutes or so, he would ask the audience to shout out names of famous people, and he would then give 10-30 second impersonations of them. 

The Dean Martin Show.  This was the real name of his "Celebrity Roast" series.  I have about 25 tapes of this show, someday I am gonna take the time to sit down and watch them all.

The Midnight Special.  This was a late-night series, with Wolfman Jack as the announcer, and had many hosts, including Any Kaufman, Richard Pryor, and Helen Reddy.  It actually was intended as a special to encourage people from 18-25 to vote in the 1972 election, but was so popular they ket it going for 11 years.

Oh I wish these types of shows would return.  I have many fond memories of the variety shows of the 1970's.  Sadly, they were gone by the mid 1980's.

Written By: Trivia Boy on 04/12/06 at 7:40 pm

People say I'm crazy, but....

There was a variety show in the 70's starring two Japanese girls.  Am I the only one to remember?

Written By: Frankeneinstein on 04/13/06 at 8:00 am

The'70's were so much fun! Great Music Great Pot Great Friends! Mar

Ah! Too have it all to do over again........ :\'(

Written By: Sammy Reed on 04/13/06 at 4:05 pm

People say I'm crazy, but....

There was a variety show in the 70's starring two Japanese girls.  Am I the only one to remember?

"Pink Lady & Jeff". This 5-episode wonder ran in 1980. Here's the thread I made about it.
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,3281.0.html

Written By: whiteport on 04/16/06 at 7:42 am

The Midnight Special & Don Kirshners Rock Concert weren't prime time but were good variety shows with some really great musical acts on them.

Written By: MidTennHitman on 04/16/06 at 10:41 am

Howard Cosell Show which relied on the newcomers' (at the time) popularity to jump start the show...namely the Bay City Rollers in '76

Written By: nally on 06/08/06 at 2:23 pm

"The Dick Van Dyke Show", which for many of us gave our first glimpse into the demented mind of Andy Kaufman.  They did a bit once with an "Elvis Impersonator" contest.  They had 3 guys, a fat black guy, an Asian guy, and Andy (who was doing his Latka Gravis character, years before Taxi).  Andy did a rock solid impersonation of Elvis (complete with tossing toilet paper scarfs to the audience), only to loose to one of the others (I think it was the black guy that one).  The bit was so popular, Dick had him back several other times before the show was cancelled.

Dick Van Dyke had a variety show in the 70's? I know he had a sitcom in the 60's, simply titled, "The Dick Van Dyke Show." Guess he had two different shows with the exact same title??

Written By: MidTennHitman on 06/12/06 at 9:02 am

Several variety shows from the 60s and 70s would clearly be in the running for "worst" but the Brady's variety show has to take the cake

The epitome of actors with no appreciable musical talent at all

Written By: ralfy on 04/02/16 at 9:49 am

Muppet Show's 40th anniversary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvnHgKkNKR4

Written By: Howard on 04/02/16 at 5:38 pm

Muppet Show's 40th anniversary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvnHgKkNKR4

I can't believe it's been 40 years.  :o

Written By: nally on 04/02/16 at 9:07 pm

I can't believe it's been 40 years.  :o

I had no idea that the Muppet Show premiered that long ago, but I do know that it was quite popular. O0

Written By: Howard on 04/03/16 at 2:19 pm

There's also The Jacksons Variety Hour.

Written By: Lindee on 04/03/16 at 8:05 pm

Carol Burnett
Sonny and Cher
Tony Orlando and Dawn
Johnny Cash
Tom Jones
Glen Campbell
Donny and Marie
Dean Martin

Written By: GimmeOne on 04/06/16 at 10:32 am

Yes, there was a Jackson Variety show as I have it on Dvd,,,personally, am looking to purchase a 1974 show Run Joe Run...is selling shows allowed on here..if so, I have tons of 70s shows, but am looking for Run Joe Run-can someone help me, please?? Thanks xx

Written By: Howard on 04/06/16 at 3:30 pm

The Brady Bunch Variety Hour

Written By: ralfy on 09/24/16 at 12:33 pm

The Jackson's 40th anniversary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jacksons_(TV_series)

Written By: Howard on 09/24/16 at 5:30 pm

The Jackson's 40th anniversary

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jacksons_(TV_series)

Wow, it's been 40 years already?  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...