inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the birthplace of mid 70s punk-US or UK ?

Written By: gord on 02/01/05 at 5:37 am

I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking. Who followed who ?

Subject: Re: the birthplace of mid 70s punk-US or UK ?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/01/05 at 7:16 am

the earliest proto-punk bands started in the states in the late 60s with bands like the MC5 and iggy and the stooges. in the early 70s, bands like the new york dolls and the ramones came along. in '75, the ramones toured the UK. where ever they went, bands popped up, influenced by the ramones minimalist three chord rock and two minute songs. thus punk was born.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/01/05 at 10:53 am

My guess is that it originated in the UK.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/01/05 at 12:12 pm

My guess is that it originated in the UK.

I believe it did in the early seventies and of course, the U.S. followed mid-way into the seventies.

Tanya

Written By: AL-B on 02/01/05 at 12:15 pm

the earliest proto-punk bands started in the states in the late 60s with bands like the MC5 and iggy and the stooges. in the early 70s, bands like the new york dolls and the ramones came along. in '75, the ramones toured the UK. where ever they went, bands popped up, influenced by the ramones minimalist three chord rock and two minute songs. thus punk was born.
I agree with this.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/05 at 4:26 pm

UK

Howard

Written By: gord on 02/01/05 at 7:54 pm

ok, I knew how important The Ramones were to the NY punk scene but didn't realize they influenced the UK bands, thanks :)

Written By: Sleeve on 09/12/07 at 3:21 pm

Yes, correct. It originated in the good ol' US of A. There were post-era bands like MC5, Patti Smith, Velvet Undetground, The Stooges (which some consider to be the Godfather of Punk), then there were the Dead Boys (from Ohio originally, later moving to NY) which influenced Sid Vicious. And of Course, the Ramones, which influenced The Clash, The Damned (who were the 1st UK punk band to release a single, mind you), and the Sex Pistols (but Malcolm McLaren, their manager, wanted their appearance like Richard Hell - from USA - and even had them write the song "Pretty Vacant" off of Hell's "Blank Generation"). If you want to learn more about the history of punk, a few good books are "Please Kill Me", which is compilated in part by Legs McNeil, who is responsible for naming it on accident, and "No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs" by John Lydon (a.k.a. Johnny Rotten).

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/12/07 at 4:04 pm

i'm so proud it started in the U.S., since the U.K. has SO many of the best artists: The Smiths, David Bowie, Kate Bush, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Cure, The Clash, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, many of the best punk bands, and not to mention The Beatles and The Rolling Stones (not that i'm really a fan of either, but still.....it makes me green with envy).

Written By: fishryc on 09/12/07 at 6:48 pm

Yes, correct. It originated in the good ol' US of A. There were post-era bands like MC5, Patti Smith, Velvet Undetground, The Stooges (which some consider to be the Godfather of Punk), then there were the Dead Boys (from Ohio originally, later moving to NY) which influenced Sid Vicious. And of Course, the Ramones, which influenced The Clash, The Damned (who were the 1st UK punk band to release a single, mind you), and the Sex Pistols (but Malcolm McLaren, their manager, wanted their appearance like Richard Hell - from USA - and even had them write the song "Pretty Vacant" off of Hell's "Blank Generation"). If you want to learn more about the history of punk, a few good books are "Please Kill Me", which is compilated in part by Legs McNeil, who is responsible for naming it on accident, and "No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs" by John Lydon (a.k.a. Johnny Rotten).

I'm very confident that you mean Iggy ;D  ...............................

Check for new replies or respond here...