inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who sings this?

Written By: Rhiannon on 02/02/05 at 9:50 am

Just looking for an artist...I'm not sure if this is a 70's topic but I'm sure someone will let me know ;)
Who sings "The Isrealites?" ???

Subject: Re: Who sings this?

Written By: karen on 02/02/05 at 9:54 am

Desmond Dekker and the Aces

Written By: Rhiannon on 02/02/05 at 9:55 am

Desmond Dekker and the Aces

Thanks! :)

Written By: karen on 02/02/05 at 9:58 am

no problem.

If you want to Google for the lyrics it's spelt Israelite

Written By: mrgazpacho on 02/03/05 at 8:10 am

I remember Lenny Henry (the British comedian) saying that the singing was so low, he kept mishearing the lyrics. He thought they were singing "oh, ohhhh.... my ears are alight" :D

Written By: karen on 02/03/05 at 8:37 am

That same joke was used in a commercial for Maxell cassettes (I think it was that brand).

They had some guy start a tape playing and then stand there with cards showing you the lyrics, as he thought they were.  The last but one card read "my ears are alight" and the last card read "at least I think that's what he's singing"

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/04/05 at 2:39 am

The same song "The Isrealites" was used to advertised 'Vitelite' over here in the UK.

Written By: karen on 02/04/05 at 3:21 am

The same song "The Isrealites" was used to advertised 'Vitelite' over here in the UK.

Wake up in the morning wanting ma breakfast
what margarine do I spread on my toast?
oh o-o-oh Vitelite

It's made with pure sunflower oil
and a taste that's pure delight
oh o-o-oh Vitelite

Or something like that anyway.

In the advert I was talking about it was the actual song playing with misheard, but very close, words on the cards.  Showing that the clarity of the recording was affected by which brand of cassette you used.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/05/05 at 10:34 pm

That same joke was used in a commercial for Maxell cassettes (I think it was that brand).

They had some guy start a tape playing and then stand there with cards showing you the lyrics, as he thought they were.  The last but one card read "my ears are alight" and the last card read "at least I think that's what he's singing"

Hehe - we had that exact same ad here Karen !! One of my favourites.  It managed to take to mickey out of that song as well as the two video clips featuring cards with lyrics - the Bob Dylan one (can never remember name) and the INXS one that paid tribute to the Dylan clip.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 02/06/05 at 4:15 am

Subterranean Homesick Blues was the Dylan Song.

Mediate was the INXS song.

Check for new replies or respond here...