inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: does anyone remember this backyard (American) football game?

Written By: jiminy on 02/06/05 at 12:54 am

we had a game we would play with as many kids as we could get together called "tackle the man with the football" it also went by other names like "smear the queer" or "tackle the dummy" does anyone have any variations or other names for this game?

Subject: Re: does anyone remember this backyard (American) football game?

Written By: gemini61 on 02/06/05 at 9:28 am

we had a game we would play with as many kids as we could get together called "tackle the man with the football" it also went by other names like "smear the queer" or "tackle the dummy" does anyone have any variations or other names for this game?

As politically incorrect as the name is now, I have to admit we played smear the queer back in the early 70s.  I don't exactly remember how we played,  but I think it was more of a dodgeball type game when we played it. I remember getting in on some of my brothers football and baseball games in our backyard back then. And we also played "pickle", where two people have a baseball and one person in the middle runs back and forth trying not to get tagged with the ball. Fun times back then!  :)

Written By: Mona on 02/06/05 at 9:29 am

We played smear the queer.

Written By: AL-B on 02/06/05 at 12:15 pm

We used to play "Smear The Queer" or "Kill The Man With The Ball" as well.

Anyone ever play "Kick The Can?" That was my favorite.

Written By: gemini61 on 02/06/05 at 8:09 pm

We used to play "Smear The Queer" or "Kill The Man With The Ball" as well.

Anyone ever play "Kick The Can?" That was my favorite.

We played kick the can, also flashlight tag. Do kids still play games like that now? Mine are 22 and 16 and I don't remember them playing anything like we used to play.  You can barely get kids out of the house now. Too much electronic stuff going on now!

Written By: gord on 02/07/05 at 5:36 am

Do kids still play games like that now? Mine are 22 and 16 and I don't remember them playing anything like we used to play. 

Definetly not like we used to, but when my son goes out they'll play man-hunt or road hockey or tabboganing this time of year :)

We played football alot as kids but just called it football :)

Check for new replies or respond here...