inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things that started off in the 70s...

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/13/05 at 8:23 am

Just wondering, what things (products.etc) were introduced in the 70s? Apart from the usual like personal computers, colour tv. etc. Watching old movies.etc things seemed pretty similar yet different in many ways. This is more about what you noticed appearing in the 70s, not necessarily things that were invented in the decade. In my opinion one of the most interesting decades from a pop culture point of view (not so much in politics.etc).

Subject: Re: Things that started off in the 70s...

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/13/05 at 8:34 am

dungeons and dragons celebrated it's 30 anniversary last year. all the computer rpgs that exist today wouldn't have been here if it wasn't for D&D. the rise in popularity of fantasy and science fiction literature, movies and TV shows that came about in the 70s can be attributed also to D&D, although star wars played a heavier hand in that.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/05 at 6:10 pm

the beginning of disco. :)

Howard

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/13/05 at 6:46 pm

One example is portable music. 

The ability to "take your music with you" was a LOT different in 1969 than in 1980.  In 1969, in order to be unplugged a person was limited to a tinny transistor radio.  By 1980, there were boom boxes, portable cassettes and 8-tracks, and the earliest of walkman type devices (although walkman devices really took off more in the early 80's).  Plus almost all cars in '69 had no more than a radio, and by '80 a lot of cars had 8 tracks or some newer ones had cassettes.

Just one example.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/13/05 at 6:48 pm

video games and home computers

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/13/05 at 6:51 pm

A couple other devices we take for granted these days...

Microwave ovens and hand-held blow dryers  ::)

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 6:52 pm

ME! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/13/05 at 9:09 pm

ME! ;D ;D ;D

There ya go! Me too!

Tanya

Written By: eightiesfan on 02/14/05 at 7:26 am

Me three!

Other products that started in the 70's:

Hamburger Helper
Pringles
Whatchamacallit candy bars

Written By: SuspiciousMinds on 02/14/05 at 1:37 pm

Digital clocks and watches
video games,both hand held and TV consul type..

Written By: Gaylon on 02/14/05 at 2:15 pm

My oldest son was born April 15, 1980, so I guess you could say he started off in the 70s...

Written By: HUH? on 02/15/05 at 1:23 am

Actually color television and microwave ovens were around long before the 1970's. Do you remember the "radar range"? It was thought up by accident. Seems a researcher was doing what else, research, with microwave radar during the 1940's and noticed that a chocolate bar melted in his pocket after standing next to a magnatron. The first microwave was available commercially in the 1950's and domestically in the late 1960's. So named because it uses radio waves. The first succesfull color television was manufactured and sold by RCA in the 1950's.

I remember the 70's for introducing pollution controls on automobiles and making compact cars more desireable. Remember the energy crisis? Also, the Alaska pipeline, Skylab, Voyager spacecraft, the first robotic mission on Mars, the Soyuz/Apollo docking mission, touch-tone telephones, microwave phone towers, cable television(duh), an explosion of fast food restaraunts of every name and menu imaginable, the Space Shuttle(Although it wasn't yet operational).

Written By: Paul on 02/15/05 at 7:08 am

A couple other devices we take for granted these days...

Microwave ovens and hand-held blow dryers   ::)

I'm sure blow-dryers (the hand-held type) were around much earlier, because our family had one (Pifco, natch!) which looked like it came out of the ark...!

Mind you, it was so dam' cumbersome that you'd need two hands to hold the thing...!

A couple of prototypes from the 70s which made it big - the CD and this here internet...

Written By: Allie Fox on 02/15/05 at 9:11 am

STAR WARS!

In 92 days it will finally end.  :\'(

Written By: zcrito on 02/15/05 at 7:50 pm

the beginning of disco. :)

Howard

Or was that in the '60s with its discotheques ?

Check for new replies or respond here...