inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did the 70s or 80s have worse fashion?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/13/05 at 7:35 pm

I say the 70s was worse.  At least some 80s fashion was sexy  :D  :-*

Subject: Re: Did the 70s or 80s have worse fashion?

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/13/05 at 7:46 pm

the 70s had some horrible colours and everything was made out of polyester.

Written By: AL-B on 02/13/05 at 7:51 pm

The 1970's, no question. My dad (and a lot of men at the time) had these absolutely horrid polyester slacks with this green and yellow plaid pattern. I honestly don't know where people ever got the idea that they looked good wearing polyester. When I was in high school they once had a "dress up like a nerd" contest. I dug those awful slacks out of my dad's closet (why he even hung onto them, I have no clue), wore them to school the next day and I easily took first place. ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/13/05 at 9:08 pm

Both decades had some dark moments in fashion, but there, of course, were plenty of good ones.

Tanya

Written By: eightiesfan on 02/14/05 at 7:27 am

I think 80's fashions were cooler.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/14/05 at 8:49 am

Definately the 70s.

Cat

Written By: snowguy716 on 02/15/05 at 10:41 pm

Being from someone who barely experienced the 80s, and wasn't even a thought in the 70s:

I say the 80s were worse.  Liesure suits were pretty horrible... but the epitome of 80s is the girl with the pig tail off one side of her head, the oversized sweater hanging off one shoulder, with stretch pants, leg warmers, and high tops... UGH... there's nothing worse.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/16/05 at 6:33 am

Ugh !  The 80's by a country mile.

At least in the 70's you could easily tell what gender someone was  ;D

Written By: Paul on 02/16/05 at 6:53 am

I'd say it was roughly equal - both decades threw up some corkers...!

70s - 24" bell-bottoms, boob-tubes, dangerously high polyester dosages which could short-circuit a small town with the amount of static...(I didn't mind the hot pants, tho'...!)

80s - 'Frankie' T-shirts, Fred Perry sweaters (much loved by the soul boys), leg-warmers, rah-rah skirts and snoods...sheesh!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/16/05 at 10:24 am

70's!!!!

Exposed chest hair
Gold medallions
Platform shoes
Corduroy Pants 
Enough bright colored polyester to blind people for life!!!!  ::)
Bell bottoms

Need I go on?  ::)  ;D

Written By: jaytee on 02/16/05 at 4:31 pm

Both decades have a lot to answer for ... but I do think the 80s were slightly worse than the 70s.

Written By: ElDuderino on 02/16/05 at 8:51 pm

80s. Because I think the 70s fashion that women wore, a lot of it was sexy, whereas I think the 80s women's fashion was UGLY. I hate that fried, big hair "Peggy Bundy" look, and those shoulder pads women liked to wear, yuck!  ;D

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/19/05 at 6:46 am

Nither. I liked them both.

Written By: Marian on 02/19/05 at 1:52 pm

Being from someone who barely experienced the 80s, and wasn't even a thought in the 70s:

I say the 80s were worse.  Liesure suits were pretty horrible... but the epitome of 80s is the girl with the pig tail off one side of her head, the oversized sweater hanging off one shoulder, with stretch pants, leg warmers, and high tops... UGH... there's nothing worse.
:owhat's worse?I would say a girl with a wedge cut,those stupid clunky glasses,wedge shoes,acrylic burgundy turtleneck and bell bottom pants. :P

Written By: NbC on 02/19/05 at 8:57 pm

70s!!!!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/19/05 at 9:27 pm

70s!!!!

I agree.  ;D

Written By: Magic Pudding on 02/20/05 at 2:25 am

The 80's by a long shot  :P

Written By: Lilleo1968 on 08/03/05 at 7:01 am

I think the 70's had the worst fashion.  look at the shoes. 
I just happened to see an old commercial for Hush Puppies from the 70's and for some reason the people in it are finding a reason to tap their feet in ugly shoes. :D
Really hillarious stuff.

Written By: Skippy on 08/03/05 at 3:52 pm

Remember how popular plaid was in the 70's? Plaid jackets, plaid pants. It was enough to make you go crosseyed. No wonder everybody wore glasses then.  :D

Of course the 80's had lots of bright, neon colors.  ;D

Written By: Marian on 08/03/05 at 7:42 pm

Yeah there is--the girl with the wedge cut,cowl neck sweaterand bell bottoms,and wedge sandals.or the guy with a polyester leisure suit,longish hair with sideburns,and platform shoes,with wide tie! :P

Written By: robby76 on 08/03/05 at 9:35 pm

80's was worse... horrible colour combinations, tapered half mast jeans with white socks.

70's flares were and still are the coolest.

Written By: Carl on 08/04/05 at 9:28 am

There are some pros and cons:

I liked the feathered hair style of the late 70s (and early 80s), I though it was very hot! Remember Heather Locklear on T.J. Hooker?

The t-shirts women wore hugged their bodies just right, that was very nice!

The music? Hey, I enjoy music from both decades, I won't lie, it's what I grew up on. Though certain songs like David Geddes 'Run, Joey Run' can make you cringe! LOL!

Plad? Yeah, VERY tacky!!

Written By: Carl on 08/04/05 at 11:48 am

I always looked at the 80s having a little dash of the 50s and early 60s, the way the guys had their hair was somewhat styled, with the while socks and pants, the same way, the girls had big hair and all. That was my HS period, so I thought 80s ruled!!!

Written By: makdafi on 08/04/05 at 12:12 pm

How could you hate, Cazals/Kangols/Four Finger Rings/Big Gold Rope Chains/Air Jordans, you gotta love 80's fashion, or at least I do.

Written By: nondiva234 on 08/04/05 at 1:23 pm

Though everyone complains about how ugly they looked in the 80s, they complain about how cheesy they looked in the 70s. So I'd say the 70s were worse.

Written By: woops on 08/04/05 at 2:10 pm

70's  :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/05/05 at 2:01 am

70's!!!!

Exposed chest hair
Gold medallions
Platform shoes
Corduroy Pants 
Enough bright colored polyester to blind people for life!!!!  ::)
Bell bottoms

Need I go on?   ::)   ;D

Hey, these days I think men ought to show some chest hair - now all they do is shave it - ughh, what happened to looking manly?? I don't mind a little John Travolta hair showing liesure suit over some of the 80's cover-me-up styles.

And, to set the record straight - I'll take the 1970's over the 80's any day. I think the 1970's clothes were much better because although a lot of the colors clashed, at least it had a common theme. The 1980's were all over the place - We had those neon colors which looked awful after about 5 washes in the washing machine. We had clothes that were too tight in all the wrong places. Hair was all over the place and totally untamed, make-up was over the top and just about everyone looked like they were trying to revive the Victorian/Edwardian styles in a very cheap, inexpensive way. I don't know, there were very few 1980's fashions that appealed to me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/09/05 at 11:22 pm

BUMP

Hey, these days I think men ought to show some chest hair - now all they do is shave it - ughh, what happened to looking manly?? I don't mind a little John Travolta hair showing liesure suit over some of the 80's cover-me-up styles.

Well I can't stand (usually) having facial hair and stuff, but yeah, I think it's okay to leave a little. The overly hairy look never appealed to me though. :D

And, to set the record straight - I'll take the 1970's over the 80's any day. I think the 1970's clothes were much better because although a lot of the colors clashed, at least it had a common theme. The 1980's were all over the place - We had those neon colors which looked awful after about 5 washes in the washing machine. We had clothes that were too tight in all the wrong places. Hair was all over the place and totally untamed, make-up was over the top and just about everyone looked like they were trying to revive the Victorian/Edwardian styles in a very cheap, inexpensive way. I don't know, there were very few 1980's fashions that appealed to me.

I agree.

As contradictory as this probably sounds to anyone who knows me, I actually don't (and never had) many clothes or styles that were "80s-like" despite my huge love for the decade.

In short, I think it's more of a "casual/everyday" look now (eg: short/buzz haircuts, simple T-shirt and cargo pants) whereas in the 80's the wilder you looked the cooler it was. It took forever to even get ready to go out then, especially with getting hair just perfect (or, if you were in a hair band, wearing makeup, lol).

Anyway, clothes of today are more like a "watered-down/updated/lite" 70's. Polyesther and things like that were left in the dust in the real 70's, so it's just the best of it that's returned in the past 10-12 years.

Written By: 80s gail on 09/10/05 at 12:33 pm

some of the things i used to wear as a kid in the 70s make me cringe, the 80s well i thought most people looked cool back then. Think of mullet hairstyles for instance,how uncool are they? but every guy had one. My personal favs were the pastel coloured skirts and tops that were out in the summer of 83

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 09/10/05 at 12:46 pm

The replies here are interesting.  People over 40 tend to say the 80s fashions were the worst, and really young people 21 and under tend to agree with them that the 80s fashions were the worse.  Both the middle aged and the really young prefer the 70s fashions, while those of us in between in the 25 to late 30s bracket are the other way around....we think the 70s fashions were the ugliest and the 80s fashions were better.

Ofcourse kids today KNOW, they know that the current styles are reflective of the 70s, so how can they talk too much trash about the 70s?  And 40 somethings were teenagers and/or young adults in the 1970s.

The 80s had plenty of loud ugly fashions, no question about that.  But in my opinion, the worst of the 80s is nowhere near as bad as the worst of the 70s.  The 70s could just be GARISH.   

Written By: loki 13 on 09/10/05 at 2:54 pm

when reading through this thread most people are
describing the fashions of the 70's at a disco,which were
truly ugly.but take the fashion of everyday life,the 70's
were way more conservative than the 80's."That 70's show"
is a pretty accurate portrayal of every day fashion while
"that 80's show",the two weeks it was on,portrayed a more
outlandish style with hair-do's and make-up,even on males.

to tell the truth i'll take the 80's fashion over todays,pants
half falling off,any day.

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/05 at 4:46 pm

70's fashion ... hot pants, those shirts with the collars 10 feet long, and of course plaid pants  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...