inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Bruce Springsteen song of the 70s?

Written By: Ansky1213 on 02/22/05 at 12:37 pm

It's a really tough call for me, but I'll have to go with Thunder Road. The lyrics are just so poetic and contemplative. The beginning almost sounds like it's setting the stage for a play (A screen door slams; Mary's dress waves...). Howver, despite the wonderful lyrics, the song is so energetic, and, for lack of a better word, rockin'.
Coming in a close second is Springsteen's self-proclaimed "Best Love Song Ever Written," Rosalita. The horn section is unbelievible in this song.

What do all you Bruce fans think?

Subject: Re: Best Bruce Springsteen song of the 70s?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/22/05 at 12:42 pm

I love Blinded by the Light.

Tanya

Written By: gord on 02/22/05 at 4:19 pm

I'm going with Rosalita, but its a tough choice. I agree with you Charlie, Thunder Road is such a great song, the opening line is one of my favorites, Born To Run the album is very high up there for me for 70s albums. Springsteen rocks :)

Written By: Howard on 02/22/05 at 4:22 pm

Tenth Avenue Freeze Out

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/22/05 at 6:56 pm

Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)

Written By: AchtungBaby on 02/22/05 at 8:09 pm

Rosalita - definetly

I was a lucky youngster who saw Bruce when I was 8 - (I believe it was 78 or 79.)  This song brings back those memories.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 02/22/05 at 11:33 pm

Rosalita - definetly

I was a lucky youngster who saw Bruce when I was 8 - (I believe it was 78 or 79.)  This song brings back those memories.

Wow. That's cool. I didn't see my first Bruce concert until I was 17 (which, incidentally, was last year)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/23/05 at 6:25 am

although it has been flogged to death ever since....

"Born to Run"

Written By: mandamoo on 02/23/05 at 7:50 am

Badlands

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/23/05 at 12:58 pm

I'm not a big fan of his, but I voted for "Born To Run".  :)

Written By: Zella on 02/23/05 at 2:26 pm

Springsteen was so excellent when he first appeared on the scene. He wrote a lot of songs that could really touch you, all the way down to your soul. Sadly (like most artists) after about his 4th album it all started sounding like a formula.... I guess you can only sing about losing your job and working on your car so many times before it begins to sound trite... Or perhaps what sounds profound when you are 20, just sounds incredibly silly once you are 45... ::)

Anyway, that aside, I still love lots of his early stuff. I would have to say "Sandy" and "Thunder Road" are among his best; also "Darkness on the Edge of Town" and "Incident on 52nd Street." And "Streets of Fire" was always a personal 'theme song' of mine - one I liked to blast loudly when I was angry or depressed... ;)

Written By: Howard on 02/23/05 at 4:17 pm

Born To Run

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...