inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1970s "Trailer Trash (aka White Trash)" anthem....

Written By: Meriadoc on 02/23/05 at 7:56 pm

You recognize 'em! They lived down the street from your grandmother in a run-down rental house, with trash spilling out of the bin, cigarette butts piled in the flower beds, and a dog that never stopped barking..... And every night, they blasted one of these songs over and over for hours out their upstairs window.... 

Which was it...?  ;D

Subject: Re: 1970s "Trailer Trash" anthem....

Written By: zcrito on 02/23/05 at 8:21 pm

;D

Gotta be "The Bird" song - Lynyrd Skynyrd.

But more than likely they were listening to (or you heard)...

Hank Williams, Jr. and "Family Tradition"
or
Garth Brooks and "Friends in Low Places"  ::)

update:
(sorry, the above songs aren't from the '70s, but you know that's what they were listening to later on...)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/23/05 at 8:47 pm

Free Bird! This particular song has a special place in my heart....I won $100 in a radio contest for correctly guessing that two certain southern states "Give" you a free trailor for living in thier wonderful states. You were also considered rich if you had TWO cars in your yard that were up on blocks....yeeeee-haw!!

Written By: Zella on 02/24/05 at 2:05 am

Oh! Great thread! I had this exact thing happen in 1973, and I even was at my grandmothers! ;D Smoke on the Water...

Written By: eightiesfan on 02/24/05 at 7:34 am

How about 'Chevy Van' by Sammy Johns?

Written By: Howard on 02/24/05 at 1:52 pm

Carry On Wayward Son Kansas

Howard

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/24/05 at 8:03 pm

Play Free Burd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! says the angry drunk redneck!  :D

Tanya

Written By: UKVisitor on 02/24/05 at 8:46 pm

Yup ya don't get more redneck than Freebird. Can imagine it going on the jukebox late at night and all these guys falling off their barstools as they play air guitar to the never-ending solo ;) heh heh. Great song though *ahem* I'll get ma truck and head on back to ma sisters trailer I guhee-esss for sum gud luv'n

Written By: mandamoo on 02/24/05 at 10:00 pm

Highway to Hell.....good head-banging tune  ;D

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/24/05 at 10:33 pm

You recognize 'em! They lived down the street from your grandmother in a run-down rental house, with trash spilling out of the bin, cigarette butts piled in the flower beds, and a dog that never stopped barking..... And every night, they blasted one of these songs over and over for hours out their upstairs window.... 

Which was it...?  ;D

Ugghh

Sounds like the primitive life that live next door to me  >:(

I picked "Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd" - only because I think it is one of the most atrociously overrated songs I have ever heard.

Ditto for Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas.

More like "Crap on Wayward Song"  ::)

Written By: jackas on 02/25/05 at 2:43 am

Oh, I recognize them alright.  They live down the street from me now. >:(  Help me get out of this place ahhhhhhhhhh...............

Free Bird

Written By: Indy Gent on 02/25/05 at 5:01 pm

Other: Willie Nelson

Written By: RockandRollFan on 02/25/05 at 6:28 pm

Didn't you travel through one of them there hick states a while back, Zella ::)

Written By: AL-B on 02/25/05 at 7:02 pm

When these songs came out in the 70's, the people who listened to them were not stereotypical 50-year old rednecks. They were high school kids (usually stoners) driving around in their muscle cars. The rednecks back then wouldn't be caught dead listening to rock and roll. They listened to country. Therefore, I'd say the Trailer Trash Anthem of the 1970's would have to be "Okie From Muskogee" by Merle Haggard.
     (Usually when I think of people in trailer parks blaring rock and roll, the first thing that comes to mind is Bon Jovi or Poison or Warrant, or any of those trashy 80's hair metal bands.)

Written By: Meriadoc on 02/25/05 at 7:29 pm

Uh oh! When I made this poll I was definitely not thinking in terms of 'rednecks' or (Mark!) north vs. south.  :-[

In fact, I was originally going to call it "White Trash" anthems, but that just didn't seem very PC...  :o

Anyway, I go with Foghat's "Slow Ride"...

Subject: Re: 1970s "Trailer Trash (aka White Trash)" anthem....

Written By: jiminy on 03/04/05 at 1:49 am

other, Rock & Roll all Night - KISS

Subject: Re: 1970s "Trailer Trash (aka White Trash)" anthem....

Written By: jackas on 03/04/05 at 11:57 am

What about anything ZZ Top.

Check for new replies or respond here...