inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did 60s music die and Disco start?

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/24/05 at 10:38 pm

I say 1974 was the first Disco year.  8)

Subject: Re: When did 60s music die and Disco start?

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/24/05 at 10:40 pm

I say '75

Then I say, that at the time, I wish I, like the music, had died as well.  >:(  But that was then  ;)

Funny what time can do to your outlook hey ?

Now, when I compare it to a lot of the garbage that followed it later (now is a prime example)  ;D - it is positively wonderful  :)

Written By: sputnikcorp on 02/24/05 at 10:44 pm

'75 seems to be the defining year for the start of disco.

Written By: zcrito on 02/24/05 at 10:59 pm

I say 1974 was the first Disco year.  8)

You are correct. It was Spring of 1974 for '70s Disco.
;)

Written By: eightiesfan on 02/25/05 at 7:35 am

I say 1974, when songs like 'Rock the Boat' by The Hues Corporation and 'Rock Your Baby' by George McRae came out.

(BTW, 'Rock Your Baby' was written by KC from KC & The Sunshine Band)

Written By: Howard on 02/25/05 at 9:09 am

It could've been 1973 then in 1974 disco exploded and went into popularity.

Howard

Written By: Allie Fox on 02/25/05 at 9:20 am

Certainly 1974, but disco EXPLODED on December 16, 1977 with the release of "Saturday Night Fever."

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/25/05 at 12:17 pm

To me, Disco first showed up in 1974 (though some songs before that could be categorized as "Pre-Disco").  But it wasn't the major force until late '75 or so - and it "took over" sometime in '76.

It's important to distinguish between music you can dance to, which has been around as long as I can remember, vs. Disco which is a specific genre of music.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/25/05 at 1:19 pm

I'd say about 1974.  8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/06/05 at 7:58 pm

BUMP

I thought this was a cool topic - one I've often wondered about myself.

1976 is when Disco exploded, it was just on fire that year from all I know. I think 1974 and 75 it was "bubbling under the surface" though, much like grunge was in the very late 80s and early 90s.

Would I be accurate in saying that roughly 1971 to 1975 was kind of a melting pot of 60s and 70s styles? Vietnam was still going on, but not with the same intensity as around 1968. Classic rock, dance music and singer-songwriter stuff was big on the charts.

The attitude still was a laid back, late 60s-esque feel (that's why, like I said in my topic on it, I thought Dazed & Confused seemed like it fit slightly closer to this period), but technology and fashions had advanced a bit.

Written By: cables on 09/16/05 at 12:44 pm

I didn't vote because I don't agree with any of the answers!

60s music hasn't died - I went to see The Who last year, the Stones are on tour, I went to see The Manfreds earlier this year (Manfred Mann's old group - he gave them permission to use the name).

There are loads of groups around who sound like 60s groups - Oasis are the obvious example. I also think Green Day are 60s influenced, but they've been around a lot longer than Oasis.

60s music will never die!

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/05 at 10:49 pm

I didn't vote because I don't agree with any of the answers!

60s music hasn't died - I went to see The Who last year, the Stones are on tour, I went to see The Manfreds earlier this year (Manfred Mann's old group - he gave them permission to use the name).

There are loads of groups around who sound like 60s groups - Oasis are the obvious example. I also think Green Day are 60s influenced, but they've been around a lot longer than Oasis.

60s music will never die!

Yeah, I guess every other decade has faded more immediately than the 60's have. However, I guess 60's music itself never had a backlash or an immediate "it's uncool" period in the 70's. While the hippie/counterculture lifestyle seems to have faded by about 1971, the styles created by 1960's artists are still pervasive today and they really made a generational impact at the time.

But I think what the thread was saying was when did 60s music stop being "new" and overtaken by '70s trends? For that I'd say 1973, and Disco exploded in 1975/76.

Check for new replies or respond here...