inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bad outfits you wore in the 70s...

Written By: Trimac20 on 02/25/05 at 6:00 am

Does anyone have any pics of outrageous outfits they wore in the 70s (preferably with you in them)? It'd be quite interesting...
Ah, the 70s, 80s and early 90s; when poor taste was 'in'.

Subject: Re: Bad outfits you wore in the 70s...

Written By: bj26 on 02/25/05 at 8:32 am

I used to wear this polyester liesure suit made by Lee - what a goofy outfit and it was a little skimpy, i.e. too tight, lol, I was a funny guy - tryin to please the ladies ;) Oh well, I tried anyways.

Written By: karen on 02/25/05 at 8:34 am

I used to wear this polyester liesure suit made by Lee - what a goofy outfit and it was a little skimpy, i.e. too tight, lol, I was a funny guy - tryin to please the ladies ;) Oh well, I tried anyways.

but where are the photos?

Written By: bj26 on 02/25/05 at 11:19 am

but where are the photos?
I just might be able to come up with one and will surprise you!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/25/05 at 4:33 pm

My favorite pair of shorts from the early-mid 70's:

It was a sturdy denim type material, kind of a 5-pocket jeans design.  It was a hip-hugger low cut.  It was purple on the left with a hot pink yoke, hot pink belt loops (on the left) and a hot pink patch pocket in back.  It was hot pink on the right with a purple yoke, purple belt loops on the right and a purple patch pocket.  I wore it with a bright royal blue cotton terry cloth surplice bare-midriff sleeveless top thing (that had white trim).

Hmmmm.......   ???

Oh, there was also that patriotic red white and blue poncho.  I do have a picture of that somewhere...

One of my favorite cool weather outfits: I had a pair of grey and white herringbone knickers (the elastic kind) with a matching bolero vest that I liked to wear with a black turtleneck and my platform black knee boots.  Especially with the right crocheted floppy hat.  I was stunning!  LOL   :)

Written By: Zella on 02/26/05 at 1:56 am

Is this bad enough? I actually hate this picture... the top was part of a pants suit, but believe me, this was preferable to the whole thing.... :P

http://webs.lanset.com/azazella/ca1970.jpg

And  35 years later, every piece of awful furniture in this pic is still in my parent's house, including the retro lamp... ::)

Written By: gemini61 on 02/26/05 at 7:47 am

Is this bad enough? I actually hate this picture... the top was part of a pants suit, but believe me, this was preferable to the whole thing.... :P

http://webs.lanset.com/azazella/ca1970.jpg

And  35 years later, every piece of awful furniture in this pic is still in my parent's house, including the retro lamp... ::)

I remember those awful pants suits. I had a couple of them  :-[  Very retro pic, BTW!  :) 

Written By: mandamoo on 02/26/05 at 9:04 am

Can I say, I actually like  it ? :D

Plus, I love how you redeemed it with the boots....were they lace-ups ? 8)

Edited to add:  I must raid my parents'  photo albums the next time I visit them  :P

Written By: Zella on 02/26/05 at 2:05 pm

I remember those awful pants suits. I had a couple of them  :-
Can I say, I actually like  it ? :D

Plus, I love how you redeemed it with the boots....were they lace-ups ? 8)

I think they had laces in front, but only for decoration. They were very very hard to pull on!  :P

Written By: Trimac21 on 02/27/05 at 10:50 pm

:D just glad I didn't live in the 70s.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/28/05 at 6:31 am

The lamp incidentally, as well as the kitsch brass plate above the mantle my mother bough ca. 1946 when my parents had their first apartment... :o

I honestly don't find the outfit that troubling, but that lamp really annoys my sensibilities  ;D

Written By: karen on 02/28/05 at 6:37 am

If I can work out how to scan slides in I could post a photo of me in my turquoise PVC coat with matching poodle knit bonnet.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 02/28/05 at 6:46 am

...with matching poodle knit bonnet.

And to think people complain about things made from seals  ;D  :o :o :o :o

Written By: karen on 02/28/05 at 6:57 am

Whilst trying to find a picture of something knitted in this stitch I found a children's clothing company which advertised a "smoking dress"  :o  then I looked at the picture and realised it was smocked

Written By: Zella on 03/03/05 at 2:12 am

I honestly don't find the outfit that troubling, but that lamp really annoys my sensibilities  ;D

I am rather fond of it, notwithstanding that is is the lamp that would not die...! :o

Written By: jaytee on 03/03/05 at 7:05 am

I am rather fond of it, notwithstanding that is is the lamp that would not die...! :o

I know people who would kill for that lamp.  Post it on ebay and see the bids come in thick and fast .. :D

Written By: kimmers on 03/03/05 at 12:47 pm

I had a pair of purple/pink checked hiphugger elephant leg pants that were wayyyy too cool!!  I used to wear them with a pair of blue floral print wedge heels and a t-shirt of some sort.

I also had a pair of brown granny boots with high heels and I used to wear my jeans tucked into them and somewhere I picked up a green army cap that I used to wear everywhere.

My mother was quite the seamstress so we always had lots of granny dresses and weird color combination clothes but my favorites were the crocheted vests in green, yellow and orange!! :P

Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of me in any of these wonderful fashions.

Written By: mandamoo on 03/04/05 at 5:19 am

I keep half expecting to see a puff of smoke, followed by 'Jeannie' floating out of the top of it  :o

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/04/05 at 7:23 am

I know people who would kill for that lamp.  Post it on ebay and see the bids come in thick and fast .. :D

I am not sure if Zella's parents in Ohio would appreciate her doing that, jaytee  :o :o :o :)  ;D

Written By: Zella on 03/04/05 at 4:59 pm

I am not sure if Zella's parents in Ohio would appreciate her doing that, jaytee  :o :o :o :)   ;D

My mother would sell everything in that house in an eyeblink. Heck, she'd throw it all away in an eyeblink, except then she'd ahve to buy a new lamp and that would be too much trouble... ::) Fortunately, when my brother was back home he rescued the 1950s Flexible Flyer out of the basement before it became a casuallty....  :-\\

Written By: Zella on 03/04/05 at 5:00 pm

I keep half expecting to see a puff of smoke, followed by 'Jeannie' floating out of the top of it  :o

;D ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 03/04/05 at 7:29 pm

I must say I actually like most 70's clothes, with the definite exception of bell bottoms.

I seem to remember liking clothes with unicorns on them??  I was pretty little then and I don't think I'd wear unicorn clothes now, but I'd still think they were ok for a little kid.

Check for new replies or respond here...